BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum News & Announcements

Forum News & Announcements Where we'll post permanent messages for all members.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
I can't find anything.

I'm sure this will work out nicely for most people, though. I have a problem "unlearning" what I've been used to. (Found this area only through a link by S2man who kindly provided it.)

So far, all I've been able to find is the Homesteading forum. Everything else appears to me to be gone. This is a personal problem based on how my mind works. I have a near photographic memeory, which is great most of the time. But when something changes, like moving something in a store to a new aisle, I have to start all over and learn the store again. This is a mental problem, based on how I process information, and related to epilepsy. I can "add" new info just fine, but my "delete" function isn't there. So, it is very hard to process changes when MOST of the appearance of things remain the same.

I hope I can adjust to this, since I like the forum very much. But at this point, it doesn't look good for me.
Me too! It all looks familiar but doesn't make sense yet. I'm wandering around the aisles lost too.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 PM

After reading the discussion I agree with limiting access. It would have been a nice courtesy to shoot an email to everyone advising them of the changes. The only problem I have is that I now have to scroll from "side to side" to read all of any message. That never happened before. Is there a way to correct it?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
I can't find anything.

I'm sure this will work out nicely for most people, though. I have a problem "unlearning" what I've been used to. (Found this area only through a link by S2man who kindly provided it.)

So far, all I've been able to find is the Homesteading forum. Everything else appears to me to be gone. This is a personal problem based on how my mind works. I have a near photographic memeory, which is great most of the time. But when something changes, like moving something in a store to a new aisle, I have to start all over and learn the store again. This is a mental problem, based on how I process information, and related to epilepsy. I can "add" new info just fine, but my "delete" function isn't there. So, it is very hard to process changes when MOST of the appearance of things remain the same.

I hope I can adjust to this, since I like the forum very much. But at this point, it doesn't look good for me.
patience,

Most everything is still grouped together as it was. The only difference is how they are listed. For example, on the main Forum page, instead of all the Food-related boards being stacked on top of each other, they are listed on the bottom line of the main Food board.

I hope the transition will not be too difficult for you.

Oliver
Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsparamedic View Post
After reading the discussion I agree with limiting access. It would have been a nice courtesy to shoot an email to everyone advising them of the changes.
Sorry. I didn't think an email blast was necessary as we'd been discussing these changes in the Forum for some time. And in early October I'd posted a notice in the News & Announcements board explaining what was going to happen.

Quote:
The only problem I have is that I now have to scroll from "side to side" to read all of any message. That never happened before. Is there a way to correct it?
Another member is having the same issue and I'm not sure why. The Forum should spread across the whole width of the viewer's monitor. However, there is some minimum size beyond which it cannot shrink the width.

If possible, have you tried increasing the screen resolution? Or would that make things too small to read?

Oliver
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Trying not to complain, but since it was mentioned. I have to scroll side to side also. If I make the print smaller so I don't have to scroll, it is a little hard to read. I really don't have to scroll much, but I didn't have to before. (Not since I got a new computer anyway lol)
Still getting use to it all.
sissy
Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 AM

I was having to scroll side to side yesterday. Then, right after I clicked on a post to read, I walked away for a bit. When I came back, the page had automatically moved so that the thread was centered. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough for the whole page to load?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM

The cellar is a place of which I believe I will choose to stay out.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

The problem appeared to be the new posts links. The way they were structured, they could not wrap to a new line the way message text does.

As you will have noticed, I moved the new posts links to their own line in the menu bar and now the Forum width can shrink about 10% more than it did before.

Please let me know if solves the problem for those who've been scrolling.

Oliver
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

No more scrolling for me & can make print as big as i want. Thanks Oliver
sissy

Last edited by sissy; 11-13-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

"Please let me know if solves the problem for those who've been scrolling."

Thank You! Looks great! Better than before the change!
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-13-2010, 06:08 PM

looks good
Old 11-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Guess it's human nature to resist "change", especially since we have had such a large dose of it from DC.

I too didn't like it at first, but after giving it a chance, it is quite a bit faster, and better Oliver, and moving the catagories down to the second row was a welcome relief too ! The only thing that seems to slow everything down (IMHO) is the wait 20 seconds before switching to another of the 3 catagories. When there are "no new posts" on a catagory the 20 second wait is a PITA. Is it really necessary ?

Overall, a huge thanks for all your efforts here, and for the privelege of using this forum. We all have a good thing going here, thanks again.

rr
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I am easily adapted to change, regardless if we're moving or if i get another job...i see and understand the changes, and i kinda really like how the forums are grouped.

i totally agree that it reduces all the downward scrolling. i like the sub-forum categories.

Thanks Oliver.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Rick,

The 20-second wait was the default. It's meant to foil bots and spammers. But since we screen all new members, it's not likely we'd have such trouble, but we could, so I compromised and cut the wait in half to ten seconds.

I hope that helps.

Oliver
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator

And thanks to all who posted and PM'd with kind and enthusiastic words about the changes. I'm happy they are so well received and am glad they are working as intended -- making navigating the Forum easier and faster.

Oliver
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the email. I'll keep posting.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
...so I compromised and cut the wait in half to ten seconds.
Thank you soooo much for this!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I'll check it out.

Oliver
ok...I am not smart enough. Just someone please turn me on. I am not going through all this crap. members CP? where is that? I just want to click on the dang room and enter and debate the topics of the day. DO NOT MAKE IT HARD FOR ME!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
ok...I am not smart enough. Just someone please turn me on. I am not going through all this crap. members CP? where is that? I just want to click on the dang room and enter and debate the topics of the day. DO NOT MAKE IT HARD FOR ME!
What is it that's giving you trouble Vid ? Let me see if I can help.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
Member CP should be right at the top of the forum page on the right, next to the FAQ and Community buttons.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership