BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Future Ozark Homestead

Hey,

Well, we have a start on the place. Its all Mo hardwoods as is the almost entire county that it sits in. We have a driveway up the hill, cleared alittle over an acre on top and its got a good, relatively flat homesite for being in the Ozarks,and the septic tank in. Next project is to sell our current place PDQ and put our things in a small storage unit, set up the rv and work on getting the telephone ran up the hill. We have several generators and water tanks to start off with. Once the phone gets in, the electric will be a bit of a challange, as the company wants to make sure you are building before they hook you up. Have to harvest rainwater and have water hauled if need be.

The well is gonna have to be 250+ feet down and costly. I am leaning towards waiting a bit to have that in. I have bartering power to get that accomplished. I believe that getting the polebarn package to convert to a home completed for cash and then see whats left for the well. My wife can start a garden at least pick rocks and build a coop for a few hens.... I think I can get all that with the cash available and hopefully top off the interior with wire, plumbing, sheetrock mud-tape-paint in 3-4 months as to where we can move in and get out of the rv by winter 2011.

Over the winter I can finish inside with the monthly incomes we have. By moving there I can save over $700 a month and over 4-5 months by spring should be able to save enough to get that starter tractor. Looking for a converted 12v Ford 8n to start. They run $1200-1800 for a decent one with a blade or other attatchments and there is parts still available.

The spring 2012 will hopefully be when I can clear the timber that is already down and bust out the garden better and get the canning supplies.....and keep on building a small farm. We have named it Snapperhead Farms...I dont know how it evolved to that but we even have the sign ready once the gate gets up...lol

Thats the plan(s)....now whether or not the country and its finances keep us in the loop depends on our current set of morons in the political circus we have. I dont look for the big collapse this winter but who knows anymore??? I have a start, and a plan or two, some supplies and a safehaven should SHTF sooner than you or I expect it to. I just keep an eye on the news, and hurry as hurry can to get the house started and just trust that the good Lord keeps my family safe and sound.

I will post some picts of the progress as soon as I can .............
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM

The need for a well and electric seem to be the big hurdle. The electric has been looked into with the rural company but I have been planning on using solar and wood for electric and heat back ups. There is still alot of things to work out and I am certain there will be surprises in abundance once the ball gets rollin here....it has been told to me that an icestorm went thru there a few years back and the power was off for a week and then the roads were iced over and some couldnt get out for over 3 weeks. That makes for some concern in preparedness, as it was something I didnt think about, but do now. So much to learn........
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 PM

As you proceed with this endever that you and your wife are heading into, my most important piece of advice is this, be sure to be in agreement on your plans as you go forward. This will be the key to getting through all of the challenges that are ahead of you.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Congrates on getting started. Look forward to your progress.Thanks for sharing. And welcome.
sissy
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppajoe View Post
Hey,

Well, we have a start on the place. Its all Mo hardwoods as is the almost entire county that it sits in. We have a driveway up the hill, cleared alittle over an acre on top and its got a good, relatively flat homesite for being in the Ozarks,and the septic tank in. Next project is to sell our current place PDQ and put our things in a small storage unit, set up the rv and work on getting the telephone ran up the hill. We have several generators and water tanks to start off with. Once the phone gets in, the electric will be a bit of a challange, as the company wants to make sure you are building before they hook you up. Have to harvest rainwater and have water hauled if need be.

The well is gonna have to be 250+ feet down and costly. I am leaning towards waiting a bit to have that in. I have bartering power to get that accomplished. I believe that getting the polebarn package to convert to a home completed for cash and then see whats left for the well. My wife can start a garden at least pick rocks and build a coop for a few hens.... I think I can get all that with the cash available and hopefully top off the interior with wire, plumbing, sheetrock mud-tape-paint in 3-4 months as to where we can move in and get out of the rv by winter 2011.

Over the winter I can finish inside with the monthly incomes we have. By moving there I can save over $700 a month and over 4-5 months by spring should be able to save enough to get that starter tractor. Looking for a converted 12v Ford 8n to start. They run $1200-1800 for a decent one with a blade or other attatchments and there is parts still available.

The spring 2012 will hopefully be when I can clear the timber that is already down and bust out the garden better and get the canning supplies.....and keep on building a small farm. We have named it Snapperhead Farms...I dont know how it evolved to that but we even have the sign ready once the gate gets up...lol

Thats the plan(s)....now whether or not the country and its finances keep us in the loop depends on our current set of morons in the political circus we have. I dont look for the big collapse this winter but who knows anymore??? I have a start, and a plan or two, some supplies and a safehaven should SHTF sooner than you or I expect it to. I just keep an eye on the news, and hurry as hurry can to get the house started and just trust that the good Lord keeps my family safe and sound.

I will post some picts of the progress as soon as I can .............
Joe,

There is a tractor dealer on I-44 at exit 169 that has a couple of 8 or 9 N's. ( can't tell at 80 MPH )
You may want to consider a 600 as they have a live drive PTO . The old 8 and 9n don't. and if you are on a hill with a bush hog and try to stop the momentum from the blades can drive you on a bit.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-01-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM

here is 8n for sale in the area:

http://shopping.rollanet.org/categor...r-1952-8N.html
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Joe,

There is a tractor dealer on I-44 at exit 169 that has a couple of 8 or 9 N's. ( can't tell at 80 MPH )
You may want to consider a 600 as they have a live drive PTO . The old 8 and 9n don't. and if you are on a hill with a bush hog and try to stop the momentum from the blades can drive you on a bit.

Thank you for that....!!

Will look next time we buzz thru......
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Attachment 459

PICT0034.jpg

picts of driveway and on top of hill....

top of hill to the left is where th pole barn is going as its pretty flat. it just needs a finish grade

Last edited by cuppajoe; 09-22-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Very pretty! Of course, being born and raised here, I am kinda partial to MO myself. Not sure what area you are moving to, but if you want to contact me via pm I will give you the name of the best and (most reasonable) well driller / installer in these parts. Not sure where all he services but I expect he does Dent, Phelps, Crawford, Maries at a minimum.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 AM

Smile tractor..

I agree about getting a tractor with live power. If you cant get one at least get an overun clutch it goes on the pto shaft then if you need to stop fast you can clutch out and the implement will not push you into a ditch or tree.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 AM

Congrats and lookin good. I'll be watching and adding my own Ozark homestead here in a few months and I've lived there before.

Gardening: I once read a comment from an Ozarkian on another forum. "We farm cattle, anyone that grows veggies uses raised beds". I dug a hole there once.
I'll be doing as much as possible in containers and raised beds with soil manufactured from organic material aka compost and manure although I realize some things are just better in row crops. Coarse sand and organic material will be needed to help that clay.

Tractor: I would lean towards a compact 4x4 diesel. That clay get slippery when wet and driving around the woods, taking a corner on a hill etc would be tough with anything but a small 4x4. Diesel can be made but gasoline cannot. Those antique tractors are cool looking but....

Mozarkian, I'll be contacting you about that well driller. Dent is real close to where we'll be going.

ICE: I remember pulling into a gas station and suddenly realizing the parking lot was 2" thick ice as I was heading for the pumps.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:48 AM

Been awhile since I posted here. Well we sold our home and have already moved to the homestead. Well was drilled today and electric will hopefully be in next week. Been a LONG few months in motion with alot going on. But we made it and progress is happening. I was thankful that things went as well as they did and hope all things keep up the pace.............

more to come
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Congratulations!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Power was knocked out by a storm in the next county...the crews are cleaning up storm damage and its not real bad thank God. Went and priced the building and they can put it together for delivery in under 2 weeks and framed up in just a few days. Am anxious to get started ASAP. With the heat this summer and the lack of power concerns we took flight at a cheap motel till things cool off and we get power on site. The rv we have is great but fetching gas for the generator every day is a long trek and the cellphones wont work waaay out there so we are waiting till power is there. Then the phonelines and other things can be hooked up.....slowly...

patience.....
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 AM

Well...the power company showed up today and knocked a 100 ft wide path thru the timber....at first thought I was not going to be plaesed with it but....after actually seeing it I am happy as a clam...cause it opened up a corridor for a breeze to finally have and it opened up a beautiful view of the hills I never knew was there.

I also now have firewood to cut and store...so it was a great day
Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppajoe View Post
Well...the power company showed up today and knocked a 100 ft wide path thru the timber....at first thought I was not going to be plaesed with it but....after actually seeing it I am happy as a clam...cause it opened up a corridor for a breeze to finally have and it opened up a beautiful view of the hills I never knew was there.

I also now have firewood to cut and store...so it was a great day
Dont forget about the added garden space ya just got
Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsrto View Post
Dont forget about the added garden space ya just got

THAT is also a perk from the dozer time....300x100 wide open garden spot...that would of cost at least 1-2k to have a dozer tear all that out and it was free dozertime so to speak.....

picts later today....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 PM

I'm real jealous cuppajoe that I have to wait a handful more years before I do the same thing. Enjoy every minute of gettin it the way you want it.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Looks good! Congratulations!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM

property pix 2 00004.jpg

Pix of path cleared...