BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Help with Homemade Laundry Soap

I have a quandry and know that the folks on this thread can help.

I can not find washing soda at any stores only online. The price to ship online is more than the washing soda. All the stores (even Amish stores) have baking soda in the laundry aisle. I know there is a difference between active ingredients but will this matter. Has anyone used baking soda to replace washing soda, and if so did you notice any difference in the performance of the laundry soap.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate(Soda ash). You may find it in the swimming pool section of a store, or at a pool supply store. It's used to increase the pH in swimming pools.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I had the same problem, I found soda ash at a pool supply. I got on the phone & called till I found one that had it. They had some already packaged & loose which was cheaper. Weighed it out for me & put it in a plastic bag. If they do pool maintenance they will probable have some loose. Good luck.
Hope this helps.
sissy
Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM

I use the regular baking soda for laundry detergent and dishwasher soap. They do a good job but I don't have grimey workclothes to clean. I use Ivory bar soap also and the combo is good for my needs and very cheap!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM

I swear, it's a regional item! I have so much trouble finding here in CT but when we go camping in NH I can find it there. I have family that live up there and when my folks went to visit, I gave them money and they did a stock up run for me.

I can't speak to the baking soda question. I use the washing soda because we do have grimy, gross and smelly clothes here.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Locally the only place I've been able to find Arm & Hammer Washing Soda is Kroger. Went for a couple of years and couldn't find it at all. Then a Kroger was built about 10 miles from us. I buy a couple more boxes every time I go shopping there.

If you have a local Kroger Grocery, give them a call to see if they stock it.

Hope you find it soon.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Around here, the smaller grocery store chains usually carry the Fels Naptha and the washing soda. (Countrymart in Rolla, Salem and St James all stock them). I have also seen it in small hardware stores and small town mom and pop stores. I sometimes add some baking soda to my soap recipe, but I think the washing soda is a major component that needs to be there to clean our farm type dirty clothes, milk rags, couch throws and rugs.
I usually buy a years worth of all ingredients each spring, but thinking I might need to add an extra years worth of ingredients to the stockpile, just in case.

Btw, does anyone know where I might get the silicate that automatic dishwasher detergents use? I am thinking that citric acid and this silicate might tweak my dishwasher soap recipe and make it clean better.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Sodium Silicate?

We dont have a automatic dishwasher, so I dont have soap any to look at the ingredients.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
Btw, does anyone know where I might get the silicate that automatic dishwasher detergents use? I am thinking that citric acid and this silicate might tweak my dishwasher soap recipe and make it clean better.
The dishwasher soap recipe I found on-line says that you can replace that with a package of lemon flavored kool-aid (unsweetened) which contains citric acid and by using coarse Kosher salt - I tried it and it works great! Also a nice lemon smell and I use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser to get any residue.

I also use the kool-aid now for soaking fruits & veggies while prepping them to can or make jams, like using fruit fresh only waaaay cheaper.
Marvelous & cheap fix @ 5/$1.00

Here's my recipe -
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup borax
1/4 cup coarse Kosher salt
1 pk lemonade Kool-Aid (.23oz)

mix together and use about 1-2 TBL per load. It will clump a little from the kool-aid but that's what makes it work great.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the tip on KoolAid. Sounds like another item to be considered a "basic ingredient" to add to our inventory for whatever the need may be in the future for citric aicd. Same premise as stocking up on white vinegar for the 1000 and 1 uses it has.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM

Default washing soda

I am able to buy at my local i.g.a, but i have found that small stores in your area are happy to stock certain items if you ask for them, worth a try.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Sometimes if you are talking to a small local store, they will be willing to order things specifically for you.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM

I see you are in SC Iowa. If you are anywhere near Mt. Ayr, Iowa, I find mine there. Their small town grocery store called CGI carries it.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 AM

Thanks for all of the information.

I might just make a trip to Mt. Ayr to get some
Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the kool-aid tip, will have to figure it out costwise and see if the citric acid or the kool - aid is cheaper. I expect for the time being, the citric acid will be as I bought 7 containers of it for $3.50 at the local salvage store -- it was outdated but the dishwasher doesn't seem to notice!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Default washing soda

Food City carries the washing soda where I live in Eastern Ky. It can be found in the detergent isle. The Fels Naptha is in the cleaning isle. I know Walmart has large boxes of baking soda with a photo of laundry hanging on the line. I almost bought this because it stated on the label that it was excellent for doing laundrybut I haven't tried it. More and more folks are making their own detergent so I think you will be able to find the ingredients easier. On the down side the ingredients will probably become more expensive to purchase. At any rate I love the savings from making laundry detergent and my clothes come out nice and clean.
Sarah
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Hrmm... thought I replied to this thread... must have been another one. I found some in a locally owned hardware store. You might take a look or give a call to one near you.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 AM

Since you're in SC Iowa, you should be able to find it at HyVee or Fareway. It will be in the same section as the bleach. I also pick up my Fels Naptha and Borax at HyVee.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM

I cannot find it as washing soda, but I get it in the pool section. It is called "pH plus". HTH