BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 AM

Default I could use advice/input on a dog issue....

I have three dogs. One momma dog (1/2 germ shep - 1/2 black lab) and two of her pups (father unknown), one male one female.

Momma and girl pup are terrible about getting out of the backyard chain link fence. Jump over, dig under, eat through... doesn't matter. I have even put a strand of elect. fence to keep their attention.

Boy pup won't get out unless one of the females goes.. then he goes along with.

I currently have the two females on 20' lead lines... but don't like this option. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
RJ
Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Only thing I could suggest would be a few strands of electric fence or shock collars with buried wire to keep them off the fence
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Master Pontificator

Suggestion #1

A great deal more excercise. Dogs this size, particularly as adolecents need long (measured in miles) hard (over 20 miles per hour) runs 2 - 3 times per week as a minimum. Hard to do from an urban dwelling.

Suggestion #2

Alternatively, a number of patio blocks on the ground and a dog run, hopefully from the front of the yard to the back and fairly narrow would give them good running space. The narrow and long keeps seems to encourage enough excercise. Cover the concrete patio blocks with a few inches of dirt to keep their feet from too much direct contact and then put chain link fencing material accross the top of the run as well as on the sides.

Suggestion #3

Put in clothes lines the length of the yard and put dog cable leads designed to attatch to the clothes lines to collars on the dogs.

I have had large dogs for a long time both in the city and on the farm. I have used all three methods sucessfully combined with increasing individual time spent with each of the dogs daily for training, bonding. and grooming. The individual time with the owner cannot be less than 10 minutes per day or the dog will misbehave to get attention.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Dame's suggestion #3 has always been my choice. I ran a steel cable between 2 trees with the trolley on it. Gives the dog lots of space to run and the line doesn't get wrapped up like tying to a stake in the ground does.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM

A shelter I frequent puts the big dogs in big areas with 6' fences with big black plastic "sewer pipe" on top on thinner pipe. They roll when dog feet hit them and so toss them back into the pen. They also sink the fence into the same thing by cutting the top and burying it.

However, long run/walk is needed...which is why I stick with under 10 pounds!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 PM

You need an electric fence with an ecollar. They work wonders. The dogs cannot dig under, jump over, etc. PetSafe has some cheap electronic fence options. They even have ones you don't have to dig to place a wire. Great invention and they work.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Another option for digging would be to bury chicken wire around the bottom of the fence,dogs don't like the way it feels on their feet and will often stop the habit.

Invisible fence might be an option too,but before you can do any of that,you need to keep them from getting bored and wanting to explore.

Exercise,toys,etc.....they're getting out and running because they are not getting enough of something they need.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Inactive Member

Dig a ditch straight down about 6 inches at bottom of the fence and back about two. Lay chicken wire in the ditch and attach it to the bottom of the fence.

Get the attachments that go on the top of the chain link fence angle them in and run barbless wire through it.

Electric fencing across the top will not work. The animal has to be standing on the ground and then touch it for it to work.

Change the feed or feed the dogs more. It could be a hunger or nutrient deficiency in the food they are eating that is causing them to get out and look for things.

Invisible fences are dangerous to dogs.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDachshund;254278D
Invisible fences are dangerous to dogs.
Invisible fences are not dangerous. They work well, keep the dogs on your property, and dogs cannot dig under them or jump over them. They even make them for dogs that are "hard to train", but I've never had to use that type of collar even on huge dogs like pyrs or the anatolian.
They are expensive though when it comes to buying numerous collars and batteries each month. It works best to replace batteries monthly when you put on flea protection and give HW prevention meds.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
Invisible fences are not dangerous.

You need to rethink that. The reason people put up fences is to prevent their dogs from wandering; and to protect their dogs from another dogs (or any animal) from coming on to their property and harming them or spreading disease.

If you put up an Invisible fence, you will be keeping your dogs in, but what is keeping anything OUT? This has been mentioned over and over by we people in the dog training and dog show world. And it does make sense. Invisible fencing IS dangerous for the dog. I would never make my dog that venerable. I love them too much.

The original idea behind the Invisible fence was so that a person could have more control over dogs that like to take off when let out in the yard under supervision. It's original intent was not to be the ONLY way a dog was contained.

The only time I have ever suggested using it was in the case of a confirmed fence jumper. I told the owner to run one 50 feet past the perimeter of the fence line. The dog soon learned that if he jumped the fence and tried to take off, he was going to get a nasty shock. It worked and the dog soon quit jumping the fence.

Last edited by MacDachshund; 12-20-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 AM

You need boundary training for your dog. It's as simple as walking them around the INSIDE of the boundary and correcting them when they try to cross.

It's not an over night training method, unless you are Ceasar Milan I suppose, but you can use your normal daily walk to enforce the boundary and it should take in a week easy enough.

Ever since I had a dog run over by a truck long ago I've made boundary training equally important to house training. I've yet to have a single dog, mixes or purebreds, break a boundary I've set; yes, even my dad's brits respected boundaries.

Take a couple of weeks and try it out and set ALL boundaries, front yard too.

Batteries wear out. Heavy rains can make electric fences worthless. Chain link can be climbed quite easily.
Also, if you are on a homestead, are you really gonna want to have a fence for your dog inside your property fence? How do you expect your dog to do it's job if you don't "tell" it what the boundaries are?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Invisible fence

I would never leave a small dog out in my yard unsupervised. I have an invisible fence that is radio controlled. However, my dogs are large. My Malamute is 125 lbs. my australina shepherd/st. bernard X is about 75 lbs at one year. My malamute faces down the occasional bear in our yard. The coyotes know where our boundaries are and don't come in. The bears usually stay out of the yard also. Any small dog would be dinner. Of course our neighbor up the street put in a 5 sided cage for her yorkies after she lost her 5th dog. Coyotes will snatch a little dog from within five feet of you. My pup is stubborn about the fence. He goes where he wants he hears the beeps but just shakes his head when the shock comes and keeps going. I am going to have to do some serious boundary training this summer.

LoiDreams
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Well, I wouldn't do any of that stuff I would merely teach the dog to play the hole game (you peta people are gonna love this). When I have a dog that digs out of the lot, I take the waterhose and fill up the hole with water. Now you have to have the stregnth to do this but then I hold the dogs head under for about however long I think he can hold his breath. Next day same thing. Third day I take a shovel out to the lot and dig my own hole while he watches me, then a fill with the hose and puppy gets another hold under. Puppy will never dig another hole They do not like to play the hole game. (an old trainers trick) Holes hold water you know. They will tell you, not in my lot!

Mitch
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Smile Dog Jumps at TV

OK, I have a different problem for you to solve. My dog is a mix of Rat Terrier/Jack Russell. He was supposed to mature at 15-20 lbs, but grew to 30-35. Now my problem is this. He recognizes the TV commercials, especially the ones with animals. He must think they are trying to invade his territory, because he jumps at the TV with his hackles up. Any suggestions on how to retrain him?