Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Default Pigeons for meat

I am in TN and looking for breeders of meat pigeons.. King pigeons or something like that. I don't mind to travel abit to get good stock..
If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

We are starting up our homestead with milk goats, chickens, rabbits... which
is great! But I love Squab meat, so I would really like to breed nice big pigeons!

This is my first post but I've been "lurking" and reading for months!
So much info on here!!! Love it!

God Bless!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Interesting thought............

It has been a LONG time since I have eaten pigeon, or Morning Dove.

My main mission has been to get the filthy things away from the silo and buildings. My family always referred to them as "flying rats" and never tolerated there presents on the ranch.

Have tried to use a homemade repeating live trap. Medium size dog kennel, with home made repeating trap door. Hasn't worked. Been thinking of breaking down and buying a commercially available trap. Best success I have had is with a 12 gauge......... Only 6 shots and 2 pigeons so far.........

Coincidental, so far this winter I don't have any around. I'm sure next spring there will be an influx of birds. I fully intend to make a better effort, hopefully, with much better results than this last spring, summer, and fall.

My favorite...........
Fillet breast of bird
Lightly flour, salt and pepper
Fry in a little more oil than you think you need.
Pour off excess oil and make cream gravy.
Enjoy
Wyo
Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

I have four pair of pigeons for the same reason. If your looking for meat pigeons might i suggest Runts. Runt pigeons can reach three pounds. I have a pair coming to me this spring.

It is true that pigeons are refered to a rat with wings, mainly because a pigeon will poop everywhere evebn in its nest where a chicken will leave the nest to do its buisness.

Daren
Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 AM

I remember spending quite a few afternoons on my friends farm shooting pigeons with my pellet gun when I was growing up. My friends dad did not want them around the storage buildings and garages pooping on the equipment and tractors. We never ate them but WYO's recipe sounds tasty, if you are looking to rid them from your property send the "boys" out to take care of them for you if you have that option.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 AM

Squab (young pigeon) is excellent when prepared medium rare.
Flying filet mignon!!!!

~Martin
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't this where the term "City Chicken" came from? Just curious.. LOL

Good to see ya, Martin!
*Robert Frost*
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
Isn't this where the term "City Chicken" came from? Just curious.. LOL
Thats funny. Never heard that one before
Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Hope this helps

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...rette_p_1.html

From an English TV series on ..... homesteading.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Wyobuckaroo ya may wanna try giving them to folks who train pointing dogs. If I can't get quail or Chukkar I will use the "rats". I'd even bring my own net and catch em. Some folks will pay ya for em, but most guys are just happy to be rid of em. Someone takes care of your problem for you. It's a win win for everyone.

Try a local NAVHD chapter "North American Versitle Hunting Dog" or any dog trainer. I know me and my buddies are always happy to get em to train the dogs.

Mike
Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Pigeons are flying Rats and English house sparrows are flying mice. They gather and crap on everything. When I was growing up my dad used pigeons to train our Labs for hunting. He would just try to knock them down - we would catch them, clip their wings and stash them for working the dogs on blind retrieves and hand signals. Now we shoot them, breast them and mix 'em with pheasants. Can't tell them apart. I do the crockpot thing, but my kids really go after "nuggets". More work for mom, but they will eat a lot more. I cut the meat into bite sized chunks, flour them in a bag with garlic, black pepper, hot pepper, parsley and whatever I feel like. I fry them in onions and butter.....the smell is wonderful. I should add that after they are skinned they go in a bowl of cold water in the frig for 24 hours or so.....makes them nice and moist. If I have to I will soak them for 24 and then freeze them in bags. Relatives do can them, I will try that this fall. Bought my first canner for myself for my birthday.....have messed around with spaghetti sauce from home grown tomatoes and other stuff. So far I have sealed 100% !
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Is there a disease that pigeons specifically carry that causes problems in humans? I remember people doing pigeon shoots back when I was a kid because they had invaded the town we lived in then. My dad always told me they carried a disease? Is that true?

I know my husband's uncle had a pigeon house on stilts, and they ate the breasts. They just cut them out and skinned them rather than pulling feathers. They never got sick.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
Is there a disease that pigeons specifically carry that causes problems in humans? I remember people doing pigeon shoots back when I was a kid because they had invaded the town we lived in then. My dad always told me they carried a disease? Is that true?

I know my husband's uncle had a pigeon house on stilts, and they ate the breasts. They just cut them out and skinned them rather than pulling feathers. They never got sick.
Not as far as I know of. Unless it has to do with huge amounts of droppings in the upper story of an old building with a window out. I believe that can be a problem.

Pigeons are small enough we just breast them too. I do make sure they are thoroughly cooked, but when they are soaked they are moist and tender. We hunt some cottontails once in a while too and you have to be careful about them, but we have not found any disease issues there.

As far as the pigeons we get a good little flock going (they just show up and adopt our barn & machine shed) and then clean them out during pheasant season......our little bit of "revenge" for all that "stuff" they leave on the tractors, stalls, roundpen rails, saddle covers, tarp on the welding trailer.....you get it!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Get a TRAP

here is just one trap, there are many available

http://www.birddamage.com/pigeonTrapA.htm

Dennis G
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM

when my brother and i were young we had a pretty good business going with pigeons, we chased a bunch into the implement shed, shut the doors and chased them back and forth with cane poles until they just dropped, then put them in an old chicken coop and fed them the sweepings from the feed troughs for a month. after they got used to "home" we let them go and found out that we would release 7 in the morning and have 8 or 9 that night when they came back to roost. asked my dad why and he told us because of their flocking instinct that when our pigeons flew through other birds there was a good chance that they would "catch some" and bring them home. after that we made a deal with the local farmers to remove pigeons for a dollar each and flew our birds from a modified red flyer wagon, dad drew the line when we hit 100 pigeons in about 5 months. we then made a deal with the local trap club that paid us 2 dollars apiece for the live pigeons and we actually ate quite a few ourselves.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelia View Post
I am in TN and looking for breeders of meat pigeons.. King pigeons or something like that. I don't mind to travel abit to get good stock..
If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

We are starting up our homestead with milk goats, chickens, rabbits... which
is great! But I love Squab meat, so I would really like to breed nice big pigeons!

This is my first post but I've been "lurking" and reading for months!
So much info on here!!! Love it!

God Bless!
Baby, get you two havaheart traps and come to Texas and catch you all you want. We've got pideons, my gosh we have pigeons -- big ones, little ones, all you want and yep they are good to eat. (You harvest young pidgeons for the table otherwise you get real tough meat).

I'll be catching some to breed for our stock this year. If you do this, you will want to keep them in isolation away from all your other stock for 30 days. People say you can isolate them for two weeks and everything will be ok, but 30 days is what I do. During isolation I also put antibiotic in their water and get them used to chicken food, starting them out on chick starter and adding grains until they get nothing but grains and are doing well on that. Keep them in a big cage with roosts, planks, food and water when they come out of isolation for another 30 days or so, then you can open the door and let them fly free and they will come back. I used to do that until they got to where they were bringing back sickness so now they are kept caged when we have them. A neighbor fellow built a huge cage for his and I think that's a good idea so they can fly around in there.

The males are colorful, the females are a dull grey or dull brown. A good time to get them is at night under bridges (take you a ladder and one of those fish nets that has a pole attached), and just pluck them off the ledges under the bridges. (They also lay their eggs straight out on that concrete, by the way).

Or another way is watch to see where the pigeons go real early in the morning, and set your traps there. Since that's usually a grocery store parking lot in the city, you'll need to stay and watch those traps so nobody gets them. I put chicken feed in the traps.

Wild pigs are also sneaking around now at night and early morning, so be careful. Better yet, get one of those for the freezer and smoke house.

Pigeons are so good to eat, I don't know why more people aren't harvesting them. Cities call them "pests".

Pigeons will lay eggs for you, but they are very small. I see them canned in Oriental grocery stores but from what I've seen from University websites, it's not advisable to home can boiled eggs. I'm wanting them for table meat to give the family a variety.

You also need to watch for other types of birds who will scream out warnings when a threat is near. Other types of doves are bad about that. It's like they station bird guards just to watch and warn. And other types of birds most assuredly will respond to those bird warnings and you will get nasty surprises while you are trying to get your pigeons.

A dad-gummed hawk followed me home once from such an incident with birds and a nutty neighbor lady started telling people I was a witch of some kind. (City people aren't always "all there".)

Hawks will tear into those traps and if they do follow you home, they will go after your chickens, geese and rabbits too. Someone said they even go after kittens and puppies. They can also hurt YOU if you get into a tug-of-war with them trying to fly off with or tear into your traps. Be careful. I know a guy who was out hunting, he got into a mess with a hawk and it ended up with that bird trying to take his rifle away from him. Hawks like pigeons for food and they don't much like you grabbing their dinner.

When you build your pigeon cage, I don't know a way to do it that will keep the hawks out of it. What I do is keep geese. When geese see a hawk or owl, they raise cane and once you see a hawk or owl watching your stock, what you do is burn incense sticks out there. Burn a lot of them and you'll have to do it several days. It will block the smell of your stock from going up in the air where the hawks and owls can smell it and locate your stock. But the first couple of nights I still sit out there with the stock, with a baseball bat. Never had to use that bat, by the way. But that incense thing will work and work very very well.

Know what you are getting into. It's a lot of work. Might be better just to hunt.

Granny
Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 AM

check out this guy's breed of meat pigeons..they are called Texas Pioneers....he says they so fat they dont fly!...i am thinking about getting me some also...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...?id=204998&p=1
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post

Any of your stock (birds or rabbits) can develop diseases that will vector to people or back and forth to other birds, rabbits and cats and the first point of contamination is the stock watering system. It only takes one sick wild bird coming in and slurping the water to contaminate it. Your entire stock can get knocked out by one sick bird, but if you will take proper care of all your animals, everything will be fine.

Wild birds will come down and eat with your hens on a daily basis, and so will squirrels. Know that this planet is full of germs, nasty bad germs, but you can protect your family's health, your health and the health of your stock just by following a few simple rules.

As you go along with your stock, you will find there will be one special bird who will always let you know there's something threatening the health of the entire flock. It's the first bird to develop symptoms very early and you get in there and treat that bird and the entire stock right away. Never ever think "it's just a cold" or "let's watch it and see if it goes away". Never do that. Treat immediately or you will be sorry. As a matter of habit, I always always put all my stock through a two week antibiotic therapy at the beginning of winter, and at the end of winter. Those season changes seem always to be the hardest on stock. (Don't eat the eggs or harvest meat during the two week antibiotic therapy). I also ramp up the quality of the foods I feed them, even cooking some grains if it's really really bad weather and serving it to them along with dry grains and grating raw vegetables for them.

You need to watch your cats for symptoms and treat those asap. Cats can infect you as well, even with H1N1.

Hope this helps.
Granny
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
check out this guy's breed of meat pigeons..they are called Texas Pioneers....he says they so fat they dont fly!...i am thinking about getting me some also...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...?id=204998&p=1

Kage, thank you so much for posting that link. I have not heard about Texas Pioneer pigeons. Those birds are real beauties!

If you get more info, will you share it? I didn't see a link on that forum to contact the breeder. (But I could have missed it -- my eyes are as old as the rest of me -- old as dirt).

Granny
Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBertha View Post
Kage, thank you so much for posting that link. I have not heard about Texas Pioneer pigeons. Those birds are real beauties!

If you get more info, will you share it? I didn't see a link on that forum to contact the breeder. (But I could have missed it -- my eyes are as old as the rest of me -- old as dirt).

Granny
your welcome......they are great birds...i cant wait to get some and try eating them...in the last post of that thread he posted his phone #
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Kage, I hate to say this but I can't find that phone number. Can't seem to locate anything on the internet to contact the breeder either. Those are some really nice birds.