Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Canning/Preserving

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Question on canning cold stock/soup

I recently found a video on YouTube with instructions for canning a chicken vegetable soup where ingredients (chicken, chopped veggies) and what appeared to be cold stock were added to quart jars & processed at 10lbs for 90 minutes.

I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1) Is this safe? I can't find any other "authorized" recipes for stock or soup that do not specify boiling liquid.

2) If this is acceptable, what would the processing time be for pint jars?

And to head off the "why not just boil the stock?" question, it's a problem with space. It can be done, but it'd be more convenient if I was assembling off the stove as there are no counters near the range and I have a dinky galley of a kitchen.

Thanks!
Lori

Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Lori I really dont see why it could not be done with cold stock. The only reason I add hot stock to any chicken or chicken soup that I can is the fact that when I am canning chicken products its because I have butchered a lot and have MADE stock already and just go ahead and pour it over the chicken and can it in the pressure canner. I think maybe the reason ya dont find "recommended" recipes or directions for this is the fact that there is not way to assure that the contents are hot all the way to the center of the jar. But with pressure canned foods myself I dont understand the problem with cold packing the whole thing. I would think this method would be fine as long as the chicken and veggies were not tightly packed in the jars. The recommendation for meat of all kinds pressure canned is 75 minutes at 10 lb for pints at 1000 ft elevation. IF you are still concerned about the cooking times, ya can just process them a few minutes over the time stated. Otherwise compensate for elevation according to the canning book. But this is just the method to my madness. Hope this helps a little bit.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Canning jars are temperature sensitive. You should not pull hot jars from a canner and set them on a cold surface. They may crack and break open. That is why you let them cool to ampient temperature sitting on a folded towel before putting them into storage. So, if you have these hot vegetables already in the jars, and then you start to pour cold stock into the jar, it could break upon the beginning of the pour. I would recommend heating the stock as well before adding it to the jars. JMHO. I do can alot.
ps: also if you are canning in batches, and not changing the water in the canner, then the contents of the jars and that water should be close to the same temperature. Otherwise you are again risking cracking jars.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 PM

I agree about not putting cold jars into a hot canner, but I can meat raw pack (cold) and process 90min (quarts) at 10lbs pressure.......not much difference between that and cold liquid, plus the meat would be much denser than soup so it would be harder to heat meat completely through, but it does.

When I can homemade soup I always use hot broth, simply because have it made and ready to go on the stove, however I always use raw veggies. If you are going to pressure can it for 75 mins (pints) or 90 min (quarts) those veggies are going to be plenty cooked through, thats just my opinion of course
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 AM

Just adding my2-cents.

First, one of the basic premises of canning is to process what's in the jar for the ingredient that takes the longest time. You've taken care of that by processing for 90 minutes for quarts.

Agree with others, the main issue is stress on the jars. Setting a jar in a hot pressure canner with refrigerator cold liquid in it can lead to breakage. Even if the jar doesn't break immediately, it builds up more stress in the glass that can lead to it breaking later.

Read somewhere, several years ago (wish I had the source) that canning jars, generally are good, for about 40 cycles, before the breakage factor materially increases. Each cycle of 240 degrees adds a little more stress to the glass structure.

My suggestion, FWIW, is to use the microwave (if you have one) to warm your stock to at least room temperature. Then, start your canner with water about the same temp. If doing multiple batches, cool down the canner by replacing the water, or setting the canner in a sink full of cold water, till the water inside is about the same temperature of the broth in your jars.

Whether using hot pack or cold pack, FWIW, I always try to have everything, from the jars to the ingredients to the canner itself about the same temp at the start of a cycle. Thus, far less stress on the glass.

Hope these pennies help.
Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks, everyone!

...Just to clarify, so I know I have a good grasp on it - if everything is as room temperature (or close to), and placed in the pressure canner with tepid water (or at a similar temp to the jars & ingredients to avoid shocking the jars), by the time the canner has come up to proper pressure the canned ingredients have also come to the proper pressure/temperature, and I can begin timing for the ingredient that takes the longest to process. Right?

Why on Earth it didn't occur to me that 2 cups of "cold" (room temp) liquid in each jar would make it to a proper temperature in an hour and a half in a pressure canner is beyond me. But I suppose it's better to err on the side of caution (at least that's what I'm telling myself so I can quit smackin' my forehead).

Thank you, again!
Lori

Last edited by alliani; 12-31-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Oooooh, I got it! DUH! (I just hope I can keep it!)
Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Master Pontificator

My 2 cents worth. I would think that starting with the cold stock would also make it take longer for the canner to get up to pressure because it would have to heat up the stock also. I second the motion about heating up the stock in the microwave.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 PM

When I pressure can cold chicken I pack the jars cold, put little water and place it in the canner with water that is just slowly come up to a boil. Why because I know tossing a even a slightly cold jar in boiling hot water will crack the jar, not always.

The canner might take time to come up to pressure but its no more than a few more min. Then mostly its the bottom Jars that take the brunt of the water, you can also place a few empty jars on the bottom put the aluminum disk on top and place all the cold pack jars on top the rack. So that none of them actually are in the water.

Making soup, I always hot pack it, as the stock is usually always boiling and the jars heat up enough not to worry about them cracking, unless your stock is not hot enough. Which happened once when I was being a slacker making pickles, I had jar of pickles crack in the canner. Ugh what a mess..

Reading these threads is interesting, its nice to hear other people are canning up a storm...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Everybody here is talking about adding cold jars to hot water. That's a big no-no. I do can broth straight from the frig, but this is what I do. I wash and prepare my jars first, and fill them with cold, congealed broth. I then screw on the lids and add them to the canner containing cold water. I then turn on the heat and start warming the water up to boiling. Once the water is boiling, I put on the lid and exhaust the air for 5-10 minutes. Then I add the pressure weight and wait for jiggling to start.

The broth is hot enough to start canning by the time you are ready to put the lid of the canner on. What temperature the broth started at is a total non-issue.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 PM

I can starting with cold water and prefilled jars straight from the fridge all the time.

ps Canning soups only need 60/75 minute for pints/quarts which is not the same time needed for meats alone.