BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Passed On

Default Dollar General - interesting direction

I have a nephew that works for an outfit that puts together retail space. He had an interesting project a few months ago - they were building a prototype store for Dollar General - a super Dollar General that carries a large amount of grocery items.

Just yesterday Dollar General was on the news - they plan on adding 625 retail locations and 6,000 jobs in 2011.

I don't know what it's like around the rest of the country, but in Tennessee these stores have deeply penetrated the rural market. Some small communities that are little more than a wide space in the road have a Dollar General store. When traveling, semis pulling Dollar General trailers are probably the most common sight I see on the road.

I find this to be an interesting trend. They seem to have the infrastructure in place and have carved out a niche as the "rural box store". Sure, they aren't the monster that Wal-Mart is, but they seem to have invested in the market are appear to be making a move that could take away the incentive for people to travel from rural locations to a Wal-Mart.

Regards,
Pat
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Was reading about that, too. The are doing a big expansion during this recession thinking if they can get people to shop with them NOW then they might continue IF the recession ends with an upswing, not a depression. And if it ends in a depression, they'll be sitting pretty. They go in to specific demographic neighborhoods with specific incomes. They go where WalMarts won't go (as well as where they do go -- we have one about 3 blocks from a superWM) rurally and seem to do very well. I think anyone who is going to put 6000 more people to work is a positive thing.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Yep more minimum wage low paying jobs that will put mom and pop stores out of business. One of Dollar Generals business models is based on The SNAP/Food Stamp program. Selling junk food and other junk. I don't see the difference between shopping for junk at walmart or dollar general. They are very good at marketing a perceived value with their "Dollar General" name.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
Yep more minimum wage low paying jobs that will put mom and pop stores out of business. One of Dollar Generals business models is based on The SNAP/Food Stamp program. Selling junk food and other junk. I don't see the difference between shopping for junk at walmart or dollar general. They are very good at marketing a perceived value with their "Dollar General" name.
A min wage jobs is better than no job.

I can't see DG putting any MomPops out of business that didn't have one foot in the grave anyway.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Dollar generals have more than just junk foods. They have all the things needed for cooking also. Flour,shortening,oils,canned goods,canned meats,coffee,teas,sugars,condiments,etc. They also have the health and beauty aids and the cleaning stuff. It's more than just a stupid 7-11 or other convience store. Shoot DG is cheaper ( right now lol) than a 7-11 or even the Food Lion grocery store in my neck of the woods! AND they take coupons. They don't double them, but they take them. DG is great for picking up something quick if I run out before I do my regular grocery run in the next town over.
A job is a job and with this economy I can't believe anyone is 8itching about whether it's minimum wage or not! These types of people always get me. SO above everyone else who does make min wage. Please. You ain't all that. Honest work is nothing to put down. It's that attitude that pervades the people of this country and is making it easy for others who aren't that picky or snobby taking those american min wage jobs. Then Americans want to cry about it! ugh.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarDude View Post
A min wage jobs is better than no job.

I can't see DG putting any MomPops out of business that didn't have one foot in the grave anyway.
Your right on. I am tired of hearing minimum wage ( MW should be done away with) this and living wage that.. Get out and go to work instead of leaning on the fedgov for handouts.

IN that same article that talked about the jobs and DG expansion the comment was made that Walkmart is starting to think about mini walmnarts located on the major routes same as Dollar general>
I live in very rural Missouri and the secret to Dollar General sucess is just as much and maybe more tied to thier location. They always seem to be on the roads people take to and from work.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Near me, DG just built a new store in Rolla, and Licking and I hear they are planning a second one in Rolla. The stores in St James and Salem were revamped within the past few years also. When I travel the surrounding counties for work, I am seeing a lot of new DG stores in some very small towns.
I don't shop there a lot, but do prefer to stop there for paper products and basics like generic bleach, etc. The price is a little better than Wally World and the convenience is much better as I can swing in and out in less than 5 minutes. (I would rather go without than visit the WW on a frequent basis.)
And agreed, in this economy, any job beats no job.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
Near me, DG just built a new store in Rolla, and Licking and I hear they are planning a second one in Rolla. The stores in St James and Salem were revamped within the past few years also. When I travel the surrounding counties for work, I am seeing a lot of new DG stores in some very small towns.
I don't shop there a lot, but do prefer to stop there for paper products and basics like generic bleach, etc. The price is a little better than Wally World and the convenience is much better as I can swing in and out in less than 5 minutes. (I would rather go without than visit the WW on a frequent basis.)
And agreed, in this economy, any job beats no job.
New one in rolla ??
I drive right by the one on 63 before I head home down the O highway.

How did you make out last friday ?

mo
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM

I can't remember where I read the article about Dollar General and how Walmart was worried that Dollar General would be making inroads in their business. That Dollar General business model could have ill effects to Walmart.

QGM
Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM

Dollar general is able to expand because they can carve out a niche in local communities. In the northern parts of KY, DG dots many rural communities. Aside from DG, there has been no where to go for most household products other than Walmart, which in many cases is as far as an hour away. There are no small mom and pop stores here now or that I can remember over the last 20 years that have carried the basics like Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, Cleaning Supplies, ect. The closest thing you have is local grocery which had very little which was way overpriced. DG is cheaper than Walmart on most of that. So, having the DG close by has been good for me.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
New one in rolla ??
I drive right by the one on 63 before I head home down the O highway.

How did you make out last friday ?

mo
The one on 72 is a new store built to replace the one where the roof leaked in the old Hillcrest Ctr across 72 from Autozone. Straining my brain to remember where I was told the second one was going to be built.......thinking it was on the north side of Rolla out around Lowe's but don't hold me to that, till I figure it out for sure.

Friday was a close one - in more ways than one. We were fortunate, lost 3 panes of window glass, had some items re-arranged, and the top twisted from a tree between the barn and chicken house. I have been in three tornados in my life, this was the closest- somewhat like being underneath a train. A family close by was not so lucky, losing 2 lives. And another Rolla location lost 2 additional lives.

Any damage in your area, mo?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
The one on 72 is a new store built to replace the one where the roof leaked in the old Hillcrest Ctr across 72 from Autozone. Straining my brain to remember where I was told the second one was going to be built.......thinking it was on the north side of Rolla out around Lowe's but don't hold me to that, till I figure it out for sure.

Friday was a close one - in more ways than one. We were fortunate, lost 3 panes of window glass, had some items re-arranged, and the top twisted from a tree between the barn and chicken house. I have been in three tornados in my life, this was the closest- somewhat like being underneath a train. A family close by was not so lucky, losing 2 lives. And another Rolla location lost 2 additional lives.

Any damage in your area, mo?

Glad you are ok.. man you were close.

I work mostly on FLW.. pretty bad there> 42 houses completely gone another 50 or more bad enough to not be liveable, tanks moved, HMVV's blown over. lots of other bldgs wasted

But personally I made out ok> I am about 10 miles south of town off O. I was out washing my truck ( 66 degrees) and heard it but nothing came close. I guess 12-15 miles north of me where it hit.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Master Pontificator

I saw the FLW damage on the web- awful! Probably good though that a lot of personnel was off base for the holidays still.
Morning chores took longer than usual that day and I was still getting cleaned up when it hit. Noise scared the dogs so bad they pushed the bathroom door open and about climbed in shower with me - by time I grabbed towels and ran to look out the door, all I could see were cows running from the pasture to the barn like their tails were on fire. Seriously have never seen dairy cows run that fast through ankle deep mud in the barnlot. That's when it kind of sunk in what was going on. Was over fast-- touched down about a mile cross country from us. Horrible, sickening damage...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM

I absolutley despise Wal-Mart. I go there ONLY when I have to. Which is maybe once per year. I have a Dollar General near me, but prefer to drive about a mile past Wal-Mart to a larger Dollar General that is better organized and managed. Dollar General does have some junk with out a doubt. The larger one also has everything else that I would pick up at Wally World. Name brand items and all at a much better price. I do all my household shopping at Dollar General or Freds. Even grocery items such as milk,butter, and cheeses are cheaper there.
Sam's Club is our main place to shop. But for other daily or weekly needs the DG is the place to go around here. Ours does take coupons as well. They also have great coupons themselves. Hope all is well with everyone, Shannon
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 AM

I have no problem with minimum wage jobs nor am I to good to work one if I had to. I have worked for less to put money in my pocket or pay a bill. The problem is these jobs do NOTHING to fix the problems in the economy, rather they provide the window dressing the politicians need to say " see we are creating jobs and recovery is on the way" Most of these new employees still qualify for welfare/snap and other benefits due to the low pay. So how does that fix anything. Another thing to look into is what kind of incentives did DG get build at these locations. Many times state,county and local governments give tax breaks to get a company to build in their local area. I never understood who this helps the local area. Maybe the DG in your areas are decent stores but the ones in my area at toilets and the help is trashier then most of the customers. There prices are not much different then the Mom and Pop mini grocers in my area and high then then local grocery store. The small stores are also gas stations and 1 sells feed so if I run short I do not have to run to the coop. They will also let steady customers sign for something if and emergency comes up. DG does nothing for the local people and the profits do not stay in this are. BTW the pay is higher for the help at the local stores and the service is much better. The bag boys will be fired if a women walks out carrying bags from the 2 larger stores. Oh helk i ran out without my wallet Local stores say catch us next time. DG says we can hold this till you come back.
But once again let me stress this these are not the jobs we need the only thing they are doing is creating the smoke and mirrors the idiots need to say "See its getting better"
I have no problem with anyone working but when real jobs are lost and replaced by these miracle jobs paying nothing and not providing a future for their employees they I do not see the benefits that some see.
Also in reference to the OP you son works where and planning for stores where. Will they use local help to construct these stores and plan them.Most likely they will use gypsy help probably a bunch of illegals to do the work except for materials that need to be purchased locally.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM

Off topic but as I watched that storm track after it hit NW arkansas I knew MOfree was working at Fort lost in the woods and knew his house was close. Didnt know we had others that close. Glad you are well.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
Off topic but as I watched that storm track after it hit NW arkansas I knew MOfree was working at Fort lost in the woods and knew his house was close. Didnt know we had others that close. Glad you are well.
thanks Cinok, we are fine. This old house sits in the windiest location I have ever lived in, no matter how quiet the day, there is always air currents moving up from the valley behind and I believe that is a blessing in disguise and has kept this house here for the century its been here.

I understand what you are saying on the DG jobs situation too, but still believe that at least its a job, that gets someone off the couch. Minimum wage is like most other government crackpot ideas and has taken away the natural marketplace that rewards hard work and dedication. I would like to see a phase out of all social programs and a return to the pride that people used to have in making their own way. I probably need to stop talking now....
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
They also have the health and beauty aids and the cleaning stuff. It's more than just a stupid 7-11 or other convience store. Shoot DG is cheaper ( right now lol) than a 7-11 or even the Food Lion grocery store in my neck of the woods!
DG here is higher in price for food items than Aldis or sometimes WM grocery. I do buy TP at DG though.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Maybe some of us that complain about DG or walmart paying minimum wage or less than the local Mom/Pop should check that out a bit more. I guarantee you the locally owned stores around here pay min. wage and less than walmart. I've come to the conclusion that those who denounce wally world, dg, etc have not checked out the pay/benefits packages of any of the stores. Mom and Pop may be great people but they can't carry the inventory a chain can. They can't beat the prices either, that is why we have this argument.
The unions have been making the argument for years that walmart underpays. The truth is the unions are trying desperately to organise walmart. It isn't for the American worker that they do this anymore, it is for the union. They organise here or overseas, doesn't matter to them.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Best I could find checking around DG pays between $30,000 and $40,000 a year for a manager, based on location, store activity, etc. I'm guessing $15-$20 an hour plus benefits isn't minimum wage any place I know of. It also looks like they start off the help at that, but there is advancement. IMHO, a lot of jobs like this are for either the semi-retired or the starting out or the former felon or the just out of high school folks and they move on, but it gives them experience.

Pretty much everyone on this page is all for frugality. I can buy a tee shirt at the local, privately owned store for $8 or $10 or I can buy one at WM for $3. Hmmm. Which one shall I do? The person who clerks at the local mom and pop gets no paid time off, no benefits and has no chance for advancement of any sort. The person who clerks at WM gets paid time off at least in many cases, can get benefits and does have chances for advancement. Hmmm. Which one would I rather work at? Well, neither of them, to be honest as I was in retail for a short period of time with my own business and thought I really didn't like working holidays, weekends and competing with the big boys.