BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

There are at least six DGs within a 20 mile radius of my home. I love their Clover valley ranch dressing -tastes better than hidden valley. Most of their clover valley stuff is good. the instant oatmeal at one buck a box is great, so are their gravy envelopes. They are the only place I can grab the seasoned black beans I like for tacos. They also have a five dollar coupon coming up on saturday if you buy twenty five dollars of stuff you get five dollars off. When they mark their garden stuff down every year, I stock up on seeds, pots, and all kinds of stuff ... for literally pennies on the dollar. The seeds I bought one year were three cents a package. Pots that were normally three and four dollars were thirty five cents. cute ones too.

And they are the only place I can get the triple chocolate nutty buddy ice cream cones! lol!

Their canned soups aren't bad either: the clover valley ones I mean... they also have name brand soups and stews there at about the same price or cheaper than wally world. I know their milk is cheaper.

and the one closest to my house, there is a guy there that loves my truck... not sure what to think of that....
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM

For anyone whom is intrested, Fred's Family Dollar Store is now doubling coupons on Saturday only, up to 70 cents. I bought several containers of Cranberry/Pomegrante juice for 65 cents a piece. (Ocean Spray). Fred's has great deals all the time. Shannon
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Master Pontificator

A dollar general came to my old hometown of about 400 people. It was after being petitioned by the town council. Normally, businesses stay away from that town because the town govt. uses bait and switch tactics to lure in business, then tax it into bankruptcy. For dollar general they were willing to make an exception because the one grocery store in town was bought by a man who is not related to anyone in town govt. They are really motivated to drive him out of business.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarDude View Post
A min wage jobs is better than no job.

I can't see DG putting any MomPops out of business that didn't have one foot in the grave anyway.
I have to agree with that sadly and frankly the mom & pops don't pay any better and often you have to work a lot harder in them.

Dollar Gen is very big around here. Aldi too is making lots of inroads in the Carolinas and is down in Florida now too.

Of the two--for food--i'd go with Aldi mostly.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Master Pontificator

Just had three brand new DG,s go up last summer in the general area. Larger than their normal stores to. I,d say they are on their way to mini wallyworld status.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 AM

Where I live, for the past 25+ years, there have never been any mom and pop stores of any sort whatsoever, other than the Exxon gas/convenience/feed store, and a Mexican grocery store/laundromat combination. Neither is the sort of place I would go buy shampoo, a gallon of milk, bag of cat food or a bottle of aspirin. The mom and pop stores in the larger area around us never have more than the smallest smattering of such items anyway, and usually dusty and outdated because few people want to pay three to five dollars more than what they would pay by driving 30 miles one way to Wal Mart. Which is, as mentioned, 30 miles one way. Here, apparently, the local population has never been willing or able to support mom and pop stores to the point that their shampoo or cat food became 'affordable'. So Wal Mart moved in and people make the 60 or 70 mile round trip to shop.

A couple years ago, a Dollar General opened in our local 'downtown' area. Not much of a downtown, really. It's about 3 miles from home for me, and it has become where I buy a lot of stuff. The prices are actually the same as Wal Mart on most things, and some things are a few cents higher, but only a few cents. For me, if I have a short list of, for example, 6 items, and each item is either the same price as Wal Mart or a few cents more--you bet I'm going to buy it at DG as opposed to making a 60 mile round trip to WM, because I'd burn up a heck of a lot more gasoline by driving to WM. I'm not going to waste gasoline and thus waste money.

The DG here is clean, bright, well stocked and orderly. Sure there is junk, but there is also junk at Wal Mart, the Mexican grocery-mat and the feed-venience store. Besides, I don't shop for junk, so I don't care if they carry it. I shop for what the lady a few posts back mentioned--sugar, flour, some canned and dried items, and the few household cleaners I use and occasionally milk and butter. Prices are certainly very competitive. I even have two fleece camoflage jackets that I paid $10.00 for a few years ago, and they are still in excellent condition.

Dollar General isn't a high end retailer, but in this area, they are a very good solution for many people. I have no problems with them at all.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM

I try to spread my money around. Plus I just prefer certain cheap products to other cheap products.
DG for paper products and milk if we happen to need it while there.
Sams for bulk items.
Aldi for some things and we always get milk while we're there cuz it's cheapest.
Locally owned family biz for produce and the produce is local.
IGA (independent grocers of America) for meats because it's more local and tastes better. The chicken breasts aren't huge white tasteless rubber.
We also get some things at the chain grocery stores too.

Competition is a good thing so I shop many places.

I saw on tv that Tractor Supply is expanding this year too.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Default From nothing to billions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_General

Looks like DG started out as a lil ol country store.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee_pipes View Post
I don't know what it's like around the rest of the country, but in Tennessee these stores have deeply penetrated the rural market. Some small communities that are little more than a wide space in the road have a Dollar General store.
We have one in our town of a few thousand. After our paper mill closed, Dollar General opened when everything else was closing.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamylf View Post

Pretty much everyone on this page is all for frugality. I can buy a tee shirt at the local, privately owned store for $8 or $10 or I can buy one at WM for $3. Hmmm. Which one shall I do?
I wait until WM puts them on a deep clearance for $1, then buy a dozen off the rack. There is one WM about 60m from here that does dollar rack clearances a couple of times a year. I LOVE it. I remember last fall, we spent $63 on clothes for the daughter. She loved it. Just this summer we bought the granddaughters about $15 worth of the dollar clearance stuff.
There is also a great DG in the Mexican neighborhood near my son. I love that one because they run 90% off sales more often than any of the others I ever go to. It is such fun.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Passed On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_General

Looks like DG started out as a lil ol country store.
Good article. You find the darndest things in wikipedia...

We have a Fred's and a DG in town. DG pales in comparison to the inventory maintained by Fred's.

My bride and I are relative newcomers (read outsiders) to this town, having only lived here 7 years. We saw the DG in town shut down and get relocated to the other side of town as part of their 2007 "EZ stores" reassessment.

Business is business. I have seen sour grapes above about putting people out of business, bait and switch, etc. No doubt it goes on. You see big fish in little ponds trying to control the local environment. It is also impossible to keep the notions stocked with cat food, shampoo, etc. with an unpredictable market. Walmart draws consumers from a distance and most households do fall into a routine of monthly expeditions to restock.

We had a local pharmacy - before my time. That was succeeded by another local pharmacy in a smaller drugstore/variety store. I have no doubt that the Fred's impacted their market with competition. They seem to be holding on and do carry medical stuff the Fred's doesn't.

We have a rural hospital - it is mostly an ER to stabilize you before you get shipped off to the city - and the hospital has a pharmacy, but it is only staffed a few days a week - most of the traffic goes through Fred's or the local pharmacy. We also have a local medical clinic - a doctor and two nurse practitioners - they provide medical care for the county and surrounding region. This is the county seat of a county of less than 8,000 souls.

A real benefit has been the arrival of high-speed internet to rural locations. It has not only opened up retail options (thank you Amazon and free shipping) but has also brought employment opportunities that were not available before.

I have really enjoyed watching this thread and hearing how things are in other communities.

Regards,
Pat
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM

My only problem with dollar stores is that I always spend more that I thought I would due to buying "cheap" stuff that is nice to have. I never seem to get out of the store w/o dropping $40-$50 per visit and when I entered I only meant to spend $8-$10.!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

My problem with Dollar General is that my wife keeps buying all of this cheap white plastic stuff that I have to assemble, then throw away a couple of months later after it breaks.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM

I have totally cleaned out the three nearest DG of all garden stuff: 10cents a piece at the last one. got plenty of pots, citronella candles, fertilizer, shovels, rakes, seeds, bird feeders, drip trays, tie string, vases, grill cleaners, spider mite killer, bird food, and pop bottle cozies now

I may have forgotten something
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Dollar General

It's good to know DG stores seem popular. My son is a trucker on a dedicated DG route in OK and TX.

People actually wait for his truck to arrive and all the new stuff to be put out.

He makes a very good living working this route. So thanks again, all!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:57 PM

My favorite thing about Dollar General is all the jobs it creates in China for slave workers who make the garbage so China can buy up gold and build their military, while we fill up our landfills with the junk!!

Smart!!!

Makes me feel so proud...NOT!!!

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; 10-30-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 AM

Default Difference being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
My favorite thing about Dollar General is all the jobs it creates in China for slave workers who make the garbage so China can buy up gold and build their military, while we fill up our landfills with the junk!!

Smart!!!

And that makes DG any different than Khols,target,kaufmans,autozone,pep boys,napa,citgo,sunoco,kroger,iga,wegmans. Your PC!
40 years ago people were whining about cheap Jap crap. You want to stop the imports? Then stop voting for the same lifer politicians. What's good for libya is maybe good for us?
Our military is in 130 countries. This government is worse than the "Catholic" church in the 1300 to 1800's.
Pushing a life style on people who want to be left alone.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
And that makes DG any different than Khols,target,kaufmans,autozone,pep boys,napa,citgo,sunoco,kroger,iga,wegmans. Your PC!
40 years ago people were whining about cheap Jap crap. You want to stop the imports? Then stop voting for the same lifer politicians. What's good for libya is maybe good for us?
Our military is in 130 countries. This government is worse than the "Catholic" church in the 1300 to 1800's.
Pushing a life style on people who want to be left alone.
Dollar General was singled out because, guess what, this thread is about Dollar General and the products sold at Dollar General.
In addition, don't pretend to know how I vote. Most people aren't going to believe that you're psychic, so such "sure" insight reflects poorly on your credibility.
Otherwise, I agree with most of your other comments.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM

I've never bought clothes in DG. I went in once in desperate need of a loaf of bread figuring I could get their brand of white bread for a dollar, no such luck it cost almost $2 and I only had $1 at the time. I stopped at the one down the street today on the way home from the bus stop because I need to use the bathroom & checked out the toy aisle. Bought the 6 yr.old granddaughter a box with three dogs in it for $3 to go with the things I had already bought at Walmart as belated birthday gifts. This spring I happened to be in a Walmart other than my usual one and they had either 4 or 5 baskets piled with infants toddler's name brand clothing at 50 cents a piece. I spent something like $8.50 on stuff for the baby, now 11 months old, and the then 5 yr. old as she could still wear 5T clothes. I want sweat pants with pockets so I have to go into the men's section at Walmart to buy them but they're only $5.97 each.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post

Smart!!!

Yeah, well, give us an alternative. Where, pray thee tell, can we find American made products anymore??????

I remember when Mr. Sam and his Wally stores was only going to carry American made stuff, now they even have American flags made in China.

I always watch and buy American when I can, it's gotten to where there are many many things that I can no longer find that are made in America.

I wore Key overalls all my life, now they aren't made here anymore so I've gone to wearing Pointer just because they're American made, but you'll pay for them considerably more than what we were paying for Keys but at least I'm keeping Americans in work.

I believe that Pointer and Roundhouse are the only overalls still made in this country unless someone else knows of some. ?

No, it's easy to complain about the "slave labor in China" I agree that that's terrible, but then let's look for solutions. Let's share when we find Americans still making products here in this country and then let's support those companies.