Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Dumpster Diving - An eye opener...

Here is a little eye opener on dumpster diving...

Steamboat Springs — One of the owners of a fresh produce store said Saturday that it is absurd that two men are in jail for taking spoiled fruit and vegetables from the store’s trash area...

http://www2.steamboatpilot.com/news/...nt/?local_news

LINK FIXED...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Dumpster Diving - An eye opener...

link wouldn't open for me...

dh brought home 2 scarecrows he got out of the dumpster behind biglots. he thought we could use them for fall decorations... they have a big pink dot spraypainted on their heads, but i don't think it makes that big a difference. i guess that was the stores way of keeping people from wanting them.

i remember, in college, we furnished my best friends apartment with stuff thrown away by other students who were moving. i remember we rolled this perfectly good computer desk about 10 blocks to her apartment because it wouldn't fit in my car!

i think there are laws against it here in indiana, but i've never heard of anyone being arrested. geez! if people throw stuff away then they obviously don't want it anymore so how can it be stealing?!? what we waste taxpayers money on... good grief!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma
link wouldn't open for me...

dh brought home 2 scarecrows he got out of the dumpster behind biglots. he thought we could use them for fall decorations... they have a big pink dot spraypainted on their heads, but i don't think it makes that big a difference. i guess that was the stores way of keeping people from wanting them.

i remember, in college, we furnished my best friends apartment with stuff thrown away by other students who were moving. i remember we rolled this perfectly good computer desk about 10 blocks to her apartment because it wouldn't fit in my car!

i think there are laws against it here in indiana, but i've never heard of anyone being arrested. geez! if people throw stuff away then they obviously don't want it anymore so how can it be stealing?!? what we waste taxpayers money on... good grief!

First, hi fellow Hoosier!

Second, there are no state laws against dumpster diving in Indiana. Counties and Towns can make up laws against trespassing, but as far as I know htere are few if any that have. However it is automatically resspassing in ANY state if there are signs posted that say no trespassing, private property... that sort of thing. Also, if the dumpster is locked and you get in it it is trespassing. However, g'luck diving in Indiana... at least here in Indy almost everyone uses compactors, just to keep divers away... those that don't, almost always have padlocks.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Inactive Member

I work temp work and spent a couple of months working in the office at the trash company last year. I too was surprised to find that it is against the law to dumpster dive. I was told that the dumpster is being paid for by a person or company and only that person or a designated company rep. or the trash company can get anything out of it. They know people do it - people also sleep in them, that is why the trash truck drivers "tap" the cans before they dump them in cold weather - but it is still illegal.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Inactive Member

I am a dumpster diver, though I have never actually dived into one.

I do not see why this is an issue. If you have stuff you do not want people seeing, shred it. Otherwise, it is trash, why not have someone use it instead of filling a landfill?

I suppose there is nothing better to do in this town than to arrest those bad, bad, bad divers. Geesh :
Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Inactive Member

" I suppose there is nothing better to do in this town than to arrest those bad, bad, bad divers. Geesh "

Well, it ain't ski season.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Here they generally say that once it is in the garbage can or dumpster it belongs to the garbage collection company!!!

But if I see something I want and can get it in my truck quick enough, it's mine! (because they just take it to the transfer station here and then it's transported to a landfill....)

I can just see the headline now..."Local newspaper editor arrested for stealing garbage...."
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Master Pontificator

Some good news! I posted this same story on another forum and someone sent this in - they let the guys go... I guess that the PR pressure was just to much for the idiots that persecuted these two.

"Steamboat Springs — Giles Charlé and David Siller walked out of the Routt County Jail on Wednesday after the District Attorney’s Office took the extraordinary step of reducing their six-month jail sentences to the 10 days they had spent in jail..."

http://www2.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ller_released/
Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM

I used to Glean as we called it in college. The trick for us was we made a point of cleaning up the area when we were done. Better than when we got there.

Once, we were told to leave, stop diving.
We said OK, climbed out and then started cleaning up the area. The owner was impressed that we were agreeable and conscienceous and allowed us to continue diving.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Passed On

We had a friend when we lived in maryland a few years ago.

He dumpster dived all the time, and had a space in the flea market where he sold a lot of his stuff.

He also gave some to a small restaurant and to a homeless shelter.

He would bring a carton of stuff like ragu spagetti sauce where one had broken and spilled all over the others.

I would wash off the remaining 11, and put them in my storage for y2k.

His wife made big bucks and he didn't need to do it, but he loved it, and so did we when we got a chance to do it with him on rare occassions.

Once, my hubby and i decided to go to the back of a store to see if we could find some candy in their dumpster, because he had diabetes and needed something fast, and we were broke.

They were moving so we expected fo find something there, as our dumpster friend often did.

We met a man there who was hanging out of the dumpster and, since there was no candy there, he gave us some he had in his pocket.

We struck up a conversation with him. He was a college graduate who had been injured and couldn't work at his regualar job for awhile, and was feeding his family on what the store was tossing out.

He had just seen one of his fellow surfers drive off with a pick up truck full of goodies, and he was filling his up too with store throwaways of all kinds.

My hat's off to people who glean whatever they can of
things that others toss out, and they can salvage, rather than waste.

One amish store was given things by some stores directly that they would, otherwise, had put in the dumpsters, yet they were still good and could be sold at a great discount to help the poor in their area.

Most of the stuff we got were really good food and should never have been tossed out, still fresh but a new stock was coming in and drug stores tossed out good medicines when they were changing companies, etc. or going out of business, or moving, etc..

Some clothes were sliced and a simple repair could make them usable, too, in most cases, etc.

We got a lot from dumpster charlies and i miss him. love, alma

Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM

Several years ago my brother had a store with a couple of dumpsters out back he shared with some other stores. One of the other stores was a second hand shop and anything that didn't sell went into the dumpster. There were always some people showing up to go through the dumpsters, and they were always polite and said hi if we saw them. A couple of times one of my brothers friends who worked with him helped the divers get stuff out. It was always interesting to see what people found.

The owner of the second hand shop didn't like this but as he did not own the dumpster there was nothing he could do about it. ;D
Old 10-22-2006, 09:48 PM

my stepdad worked as a landscaper at an apartment complex, and you wouldnt believe stuff people threw away. He brought home so much stuff, my mom eventually gave him a list of acceptibles to avoid becoming a pack rat.

My real dad, career firefighter, stopped the fire engine (they were on grocery duty) once, and got into a dumpster after 2 perfectly good rabbit cages for me. they were the kind you can keep in the house, 3 feet long. they had never been used. he said the newbies were mad that he (captain at the time) made them carry them on their laps.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM

Holy cats! This story makes me so furious, my hair may catch fire!

This is an OUTRAGEOUS miscarriage of justice, and Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James should be prosecuted for it. Let HIM spend six months in the jail he's so eager to fill. We need to "make an example of him" to use his own words - for other officials that may have it in mind to misuse their power.

10 days in jail for dumpster diving? That's better than six months, but not MUCH better. It's wrong from the git-go.
If the residents of that area just let it go, they should be ashamed of themselves - because they'll regret it later when this type of misuse reaches them!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM

I really agree with CarolAnn, and I sure hope I never make her mad!!!! 8)
Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Lost1, I'm USUALLY pretty safe to be around, but don't get between me and a good dumpster, or a fine rummage sale! ;D
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 PM

O.K., just step away from the chocolate, and no one gets hurt he he....
Old 10-28-2006, 11:13 PM

We don't have a lot of dumpsters in my rual area, but I've been known to stop and throw stuff in my truck that had been set out for the garbage truck. So far I've scored:

A brand new, good sized Andersen window
A new hot water heater
A slightly used pressure tank (which is what I'm using on my well right now)
Lots of scrap metal
Snow fence
Decorative garden fencing

And so on.

Don't know if I'd feel comfortable with reclaiming drugs, food, or any kind of perishables, though.

Speaking of what folks throw out.....I live close to the dump, and can take stuff in for free. (I guess they want to keep the local residents happy so we don't complain too much) I need to go about twice a year with about two cans full of the stuff I can't recycle or burn. Anyways, the dump pit had at least a half dozen sheets of brand new drywall, and a bunch of two by fours! I was outraged, perfectly good stuff I could use, and here it was taking up space in the landfill. I managed to snag of few of the 2x4s, but the drywall was too deep in the pit. Boy, did it make me mad!

And the idea of arresting dumpster divers? The only thing that makes sense is trying to prevent identity theft, but really, folks should know better than to throw out personal info!

Cat
Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Tightwad

"Dumpster diving" is such a negative lable don'tcha think?

It would be better to call folk's who salvage products what they'
really are ......."Gleaners" Gleaning is an old & honest way to
prevent the huge amount to waste we have in America.

I've gleaned fields for corn, pumpkins and green beens for decades
after the canning factory picks the crop. I've gleaned others"trash"
for items still good. I've asked (gleaned) the grocery store owner
for dated goods and dented cans to provide him with a better way
to dispose of his store "problems" I've used 'Share Foods" to help
glean warehouse overstocks.

Call me a "Gleaner" but never a "Dumpster Diver".
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Inactive Member

Where I live there isn't any such thing as a dumpster, a few people here have a local guy come pick up their trash but the majority 80% of the people in the village take their trash to the transfer station.

The transfer stations are a GOLD MINE!! There are two stations within 10 miles of my house, one that I am allowed as a tax paying resident to use and the other I am not supposed to go to but I made friends with the guy who works there and he lets me use the station.

NOTHING that can be used is thrown away and both stations have a large area where people can put out perfectly usable items that they no longer want, from books to computers (got an almost brand new HP Deskjet there a few months ago) to appliances, clothes, housewares, tools, etc. We locals refer to it as "going to the local K-Mart"!!

I see it as recycling, and think it is wonderful!!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Here is it is illegal to take anything out from the transfer station...