Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default What can I use old pillows for?

I have 5 old pillows (bed, sleeping on pillows), that I hate to just throw in the trash.....
Is there any other use for an old slobbered up bed pillow?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM

I use them for dog beds.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM

If you do any long range shooting, they work ok for rifle rests.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Take the stuffing out of them,use the stuffing to make a big dog bed,or a cat bed,or something like that.

If they are the washable type pillows,give them a good wash and dry,then unstuff them and make new pillows....

Just a couple ideas.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Put them inside a pillow case and "seal" them up and throw them in the washing machine. I have washed and dried many an old pillow in my day.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 AM

Wash them as described above, with some bleach in the wash water, dry well, and use the stuffing for quilt batting, stuffing pot holders or oven mitts, or making nice decorative pillows for the couch. Also dog beds as mentioned. I keep a large foam rubber couch cushion inside a heavy duty trash bag and put the dog's blanket on top of that. Then, I only have to wash the dogs blanket and the cusion stays clean and doesn't get peed on, drooled on, and doesn't end up smelling doggy. Maybe you could do something similar with your pillows. Maybe make a long body pillow out of them?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 AM

If washable, clean one up, put on a fresh old pillowcase. Put in the truck of your car. Useful to keep things stable in the trunk. Example. Set a pot luck casserole on it. (or in the foot of the backseat.) Or anything else that can roll around back there.

If you have a sturdy coffee table, make a cushion for it. Extra seating, especially if you have a house full of kids at a gathering. Or, make floor pillows for them, for the same reason. Sew up some pillow cases from old jeans (patchwork), then use Velcro to close the end. Sturdy, can take abuse, and washable.

If they are the skinny kind, use to cushion glass items that are stored in plastic totes.

If you have a well, help insulate the pump house to protect the pump from freezing. Staple along the edges to hold in place. Duct tape in place. Or, simply stuff in nooks & crannies, as may be applicable.

Make plastic "pillowcases" from trashbags. Stuff behind the pipes in cabinets if you have water lines near outside walls that are subject to freezing in severe weather.

If you have the space, wash them up, pack in a trashbag and hang in your storage building. Then, you'll have them for whatever use that comes along. Extra pillows for company. Extra pillows when some one is sick and they need an extra one or two. Or, when it's time to put one of the great suggestions, mentioned by others, into use.

Like you, I hate to send anything to the landfill that still has a useful life in some form. Guess this is some of my rebellion to our "disposable society".

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Use as a cat bed. My cats have a pillow on top of the desk/cabinet at the head of my bed that they sometimes sleep on. When I move to the back bedroom once I need the air conditioning the pillow will be place on top on an 18 gallon storage tote that is placed next to the head of the bed so they can get the cool air from the a/c unit also. If I had them I'd take them to the landlords trailer and put them in the doghouse for a couple of rat terriers that live outside. They were left by a former trailer park resident and have basically become the park dogs. I keep a square plastic container under the side of my trailer with water in it so any loose dogs can get a drink. Come hot weather I'll check it two or three times a day to make sure it's still got water in it for them. Had a gallon bucket at the front of the next door neighbor's trailer but it has disappeared. Will keep an eye out at the dumpster to see if I can find a larger container to put out for the summer.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Master Pontificator

On the chance that these pillows are feather/down, they can be cleaned over and over and placed in new casings for a very long time. Down pillows can be cleaned by machine washing on gentle, then alternating between the freezer and the clothes dryer on fluff a number of times (include a clean tennis shoe to fluff).

If using a clothes line, pick a few days where the forcast is for cloudy with minimal wind, no rain and the temps are fluxuating above and below freezing. Takes about 4 days on the line.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM

How would I know the pillow is mine if it don't have drool on it?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM

They make nice beds for cats and dogs and the local humane society is always in need of donated items like pillows, towels, bowls and even food. I usually give mine to our vet because he has such a big heart he is always taking in critters whose owners are passing. Every extra item they get donated means a little bit more for the critters or maybe room for one more to be given a second chance.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM

I was running around the place like a mad woman looking for old pillow to empty out and give the geese for more bedding for their nest. Didn't have enough shavings or hay on hand to use that day.

You could also put out the stuffins of the pillow for the wild birds to line their nests.

Wash a pillow and then keep in the car for a travel pillow.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 AM

Make a boxing mannequin out of 'em and practice your self-defense moves.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Master Pontificator

Synthetic or down/feather stuffing can be used for lots of things. I save the pillow shells and cases for a good cloth bag. They would also be good for expedient sand bags. They`d prolly rot quick if left in the wet. I also use the 30-50# dogfood bags for lots of things similar. They are usually waxy and won`t rot fast if in the wet.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyPitcher View Post
Wash them as described above, with some bleach in the wash water, dry well, and use the stuffing for quilt batting, stuffing pot holders or oven mitts, or making nice decorative pillows for the couch. Also dog beds as mentioned. I keep a large foam rubber couch cushion inside a heavy duty trash bag and put the dog's blanket on top of that. Then, I only have to wash the dogs blanket and the cusion stays clean and doesn't get peed on, drooled on, and doesn't end up smelling doggy. Maybe you could do something similar with your pillows. Maybe make a long body pillow out of them?
Yeah, sure. Just as soon as I get the dogs off of MY bed!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velojym View Post
Make a boxing mannequin out of 'em and practice your self-defense moves.
Hey! Now there's a great idea! My hubby is getting tired of that role himself...