BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Rag Rug Weaving

Any of you folks rag rug weavers? Would like to correspond.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 AM

I want to learn! I've been saving old clothes and curtains, etc. so I'll have some ammunition So - how do I get started? I was thinking of looking on YouTube for some hands on demonstrations...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM

In absence of a loom, you can crochet rag rugs. It takes a big hook of course. what kind of loom do you have oldtimer?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLake View Post
I want to learn! I've been saving old clothes and curtains, etc. so I'll have some ammunition So - how do I get started? I was thinking of looking on YouTube for some hands on demonstrations...
Unfortunately, no one on youtube has done a decent video on weaving rag rugs on a loom.

So, do you have a loom? Or do you send your rags off to a weaver? Check out the website Weaver's Friend. They also have a wonderful magazine by the same name.

So, you know how to prepare your rags and all?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
In absence of a loom, you can crochet rag rugs. It takes a big hook of course. what kind of loom do you have oldtimer?
My grandmother crocheted lots of rugs, even roomsized ones. She loved to cut up old socks to crochet.

I have an old four harness Cambridge Loom made by the Reed Manufacturing Company. I suppose it's about 70 years old. My wife has crocheted rugs from plastic bread wrappers too.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Braided rugs are another option if you don't have a loom and don't know how to crochet. All you need is a door knob for braiding and a needle and thread.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Default rags and selvedge

My husband and I weave rag rugs and selvedge rugs. He has done some pieces using crochet thread. They take so long, I haven't done one of those yet. I did weave a scarf using chenile. Learned a lot about what not to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Braiding is a good idea, you just tear the strips into about the same width and sew the ends together making a big long strip and using 3 strips, start braiding. You can use heavy upholstery thread to fasten the braids together in whatever shape you decide.

I have been wanting to weave rag rugs for quite some time now. I have about decided to build a frame with paneling nails all around it to use as a loom. Has anyone ever done that?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Default home made looms

I have bought several home made looms like you are talking about. I would suggest using a stronger nail than panelling nails. Maybe a 6 or 8 penny nail.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Hi, new here, but I've woven rag rugs on the 2-harness Orco looms and even on a four-harness loom. A friend is weaving rugs from cut-up denim (old jeans) on a hundred year old barn loom. Where there's a will there's a way
The best advice I got when starting out was to keep the tension tight and even, and not to cut the strips too wide. The warp is set 6 ends per inch on mine.
Happy weaving everyone!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Yes, just getting an order for cotton rug warp (wow, prices!!!) so that everyone in the family will be getting a rag rug for Christmas.
What kind of loom do you have? How did you learn to weave rugs?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM

My grandma used burlap as the backing, and with a hooking would pull a "bubble" of fabric up from the bottom of the burlap, through to the right side. I think the bubble would be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch high. The fabric was ripped or cut into long thin strips. I've not seen anyone make rugs quite like she used to.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1317 View Post
Yes, just getting an order for cotton rug warp (wow, prices!!!) so that everyone in the family will be getting a rag rug for Christmas.
What kind of loom do you have? How did you learn to weave rugs?
I have a Cambridge loom made by the Reed Mfg. Co. It's an old double hung four harness loom but I only use two harnesses for weaving rugs.

Here's a great site: http://www.weaversfriend.com/index.html

I've visited by phone with the gal and they have a wonderful little magazine. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Rag rug weaving

I have been weaving for less than a year now. I found a Glimakra Standard 47" for $500.00. I have 6 looms now. I make rugs, placemats, table runners, handbags, and mug rugs(coasters). You don't need but one loom to weave. I got more looms(second hand) so I can have different warp widths set up to do the different projects. Makes things faster and easier. My wife and I are getting ready to retire and I want to have a good small business going by then. Haven't made much money yet but just need to get my work out there and be noticed. This Sat. I'm going to have a booth at the " Hometown Christmas" in the small town we live near. I have only been weaving with rags( new,100% cotton,quilt weight fabrics and old jeans). I have almost all the rug weaving books and have first hand, found out what works best and what not to do. I'm not one of those pros but can help with a question or two.............Steve.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM

Steve,

I wish you luck. We've been weaving for about 25 years. I have only the one loom I use but have two in storage, just don't have a big enough house. Would be nice to have a couple warped differntly.

We sell lots of rugs but it's no real supplement to income as the market here won't bear much in way of price. Especially now that the economy has soured, it really hurts rug sales. There are quite a few weavers in the area so competition is tight. The laugh is, some Amish moved in here and they just bought a loom. Their rugs are crappy, loose, edges ragged, you know how beginners weave, anyway, they get a fortune for those junky rugs. People think they're simply marvelous because they're "Amish made". Go figure!

We kind of settled on doing custom work. Folks work up their own rags and weave for them. That works out the best for us. I've often been told by folks from TX or Calif. that our rugs could sell for 3x the price there. Then I could make money like these Amish.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Oldtimer, your post reminds me of our trip this past summer to PA to "tour" the Amish country. Was simply amazing to watch folks gobbling up the stuff in the shops. The irony was a lot of it was stamped Made In China.

Couldn't believe the prices of the Amish Made goods. Quilted pot holders and placemats for outrageous (IMHO) prices. Looked at some of them. Made by the Amish, yes, according to the label. Hand made = NO! Looking closely, much evidence of them being done assembly-line fashion as in sewing factories. People tend to forget some Amish generate their own electricity. So instead of hand stitching or a treadle sewing machine, an industrial sewing/quilting machine can turn out a lot quickly.

Please don't misunderstand. While I can't afford many items I'd like to have, I truly value handmade. It's worth a premium price, if well done. On the trip, ended up buying a picture framed with tobacco sticks. And a painted lathe turned plate. These were bought during a visit to a woodworking shop on an Amish farm. BTW, while there, admired the hydrolics used in lieu of water turned belts and gears to operate the equivalents of what I have in my shop. Yet, I'm sure many folks have the impression that wood turning for example is done with a foot powered spring pole lathe by the Amish.

There's handmade and there's "handmade". Wish a lot more folks understood the difference and placed the value where it should be placed.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:23 PM

I make "toothbrush" rugs, an old toothbrush is used as the "needle".

http://www.ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush...rt-1-beginners

http://www.ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush...2-intermediate

Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Default Handmade???

The craft show last Sat. "Hometown Christmas", SUCKED. Didn't sell a thing. The booth next to me(99% of their stuff was "Made in China" crap) did real good. Two booths down, the man asked me if my stuff was made in South America. Pissed me off. I wasn't feeling 100% that morn. so I didn't bring a loom to show how I make my items. I assume everyone else thought my stuff was imported. My wife also suggested that I put on my sign " Made in the USA". All my tags say that they are made in the small town we live in. Sorry about the ranting. I thought when I signed up for this fair, all the vendors had to sale items made by the vendor's. I'm not giving up. The quilting store in the small town near me, wants to sale my handbags (YA!). I live in Texas, so my next set of projects will be "Texas Flag" design.The people here seem to love anything with the Texas theme. I have began to cut red, white and blue fabric into strips. The Houston Rodeo is this March, and maybe I can sale some handbags "Texas Flag" style. Anyone have any advise for me, please help............steve
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve104c View Post
The craft show last Sat. "Hometown Christmas", SUCKED. Didn't sell a thing. The booth next to me(99% of their stuff was "Made in China" crap) did real good. Two booths down, the man asked me if my stuff was made in South America. Pissed me off. I wasn't feeling 100% that morn. so I didn't bring a loom to show how I make my items. I assume everyone else thought my stuff was imported. My wife also suggested that I put on my sign " Made in the USA". All my tags say that they are made in the small town we live in. Sorry about the ranting. I thought when I signed up for this fair, all the vendors had to sale items made by the vendor's. I'm not giving up. The quilting store in the small town near me, wants to sale my handbags (YA!). I live in Texas, so my next set of projects will be "Texas Flag" design.The people here seem to love anything with the Texas theme. I have began to cut red, white and blue fabric into strips. The Houston Rodeo is this March, and maybe I can sale some handbags "Texas Flag" style. Anyone have any advise for me, please help............steve

Shoot, you have a perfect marketing tool there; just say Made USA in big letters and smaller letters underneath saying: Made by Uncle Steve in America.

I am curious about your bags. How do you make them? Also, what are you using for rags in your rugs?

You could email me. I'm hungry to talk to someone about weaving. Nice to see a man weaving as most of the weavers I know are women.

I got interested because in doing our family history I found that as far back as I could go with my family name in Germany, the first ancestor of mine that is recorded with my last name was a weaver by trade.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Steve, your lack of success doesn't surprise me.

Now let me explain.

We went on a tour of the PA Amish country this past summer. Since it was a tour, it was full of stops at shopping places that were showing off "Amish" ware. Wish I knew the percentage of that merchandise that was stamped "Made in China". People were gobbling up coffee mugs with horses and buggy's on them, without bothering to see what was impressed into the bottoms.

IMHO, do what you can to separate yourself from that crowd of dealers that are selling imported factory made "stuff" to folks who do not look at the bottom of a coffee cup. Big signs - Handmade - Made in USA - Support your local craftsman, etc & etc.

In closing, welcome to our forum. And, BTW, don't you and Oldimer dare to use email. There's other folks, out here who'd love to learn more, too. Just kidding, as I'm sure there'll be some personal stuff that shouldn't go on the forum. But do hope you'll share the rest right here on these pages.

Lee