BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Default rug weaving

Lee, I'll share anything I can. The fair last week was disappointing but not a deal breaker. I'm still going to try new things. I'm going to make lots of signs, "Made in the USA", "American Made", etc. I suggested a sign to my wife, but she didn't think it would be appropraite. Wasn't politicaly correct. I,m at work now (24 hour shift) but when I get home tomorrow I'm going to start on some rag rug handbags with the Texas flag theme. Here, people seem to go crazy over anything "Texas". I also will be makes rugs like the "Texas" flag. Maybe I'll make a sign that says "Made in the heart of Texas". If anyone has any questions on rag rug weaving, or any thing else, feel free to ask...................Steve.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My Mom, Grandma, and a couple Aunts made them out of scrap material when I was a kid.
They even made rugs out of plastic bread bags.

There is an old Mennonite guy at the farmers market that makes them.
He doesn't weave at the market, but spend his time cutting material strips.
He has them all sizes, 16" square to about 6' x 8'

Presume instructions on how to do that are on the web somewhere.

Enjoy
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
My Mom, Grandma, and a couple Aunts made them out of scrap material when I was a kid.
They even made rugs out of plastic bread bags.

There is an old Mennonite guy at the farmers market that makes them.
He doesn't weave at the market, but spend his time cutting material strips.
He has them all sizes, 16" square to about 6' x 8'

Presume instructions on how to do that are on the web somewhere.

Enjoy
Well, first off you'd need a loom and instructions on the web are not really to be had. You can go to Weaversfriend.com and order the "Rag Rug Handbook" I understand it tells you everything you need to know but I haven't read it. We went to the school of hardknocks ourselves. Would have been nice to have had someone to show us what to do, but that's nearly thirty years ago, so . . .

Yes , we make a lot of rugs and tote bags out of plastic bags. The plastic bags of today are made to disintigrate in sunlight so we only use the ones that don't, like bread wrappers. They make lovely rugs and real cool tote bags.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM

No loom, that I remember.
Most of these projects were round or oval. A very few were rectangle.

The old guy at the farmers market has rectangle rugs as well as other shapes.
But he never works on them there. Just prepares material.

Enjoy
Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
No loom, that I remember.
Most of these projects were round or oval. A very few were rectangle.

The old guy at the farmers market has rectangle rugs as well as other shapes.
But he never works on them there. Just prepares material.

Enjoy
If it's woven, there has to be something used for a loom. Many old women used to crochet round and oval rugs from rags and or plastic bags. My grandma made many many and my wife has made a few this way.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:25 AM

Default Finally sold some rugs

Last weekend I had another craft show and finally sold two rugs, and got my asking price. I brought my Drayad upright loom and made a sign that said " All items are made here, in _________, Texas, U.S.A.". I think the loom and sign helped. One woman said that she wanted a black handbag and another said she wanted 8, earth tone colored placemats. I told them I would be back next month and I would have them. They said that they would be back ( they assured me that they WOULD be back). I think I have broken the ice and people have noticed my quality products............Steve.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Finally sold some rugs!

The next weekend, had another show. Made a sign that said, "All items are made here in ___________, Texas, U.S.A." and brought a loom to show how I weave the rugs. Sold 2 rugs that day to two different women for Christmas gifts. I'm in the process of weaving rugs in the "TEXAS FLAG" design. I've been told by dozens of people that they would buy one of them. Texans are proud of their heritage and this rug should do very well.........Steve.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve104c View Post
The next weekend, had another show. Made a sign that said, "All items are made here in ___________, Texas, U.S.A." and brought a loom to show how I weave the rugs. Sold 2 rugs that day to two different women for Christmas gifts. I'm in the process of weaving rugs in the "TEXAS FLAG" design. I've been told by dozens of people that they would buy one of them. Texans are proud of their heritage and this rug should do very well.........Steve.
So, how're you doing with your rug business now? If you start selling more rugs than you can keep up with, let me know and I'll send you some.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToast View Post
I make "toothbrush" rugs, an old toothbrush is used as the "needle".

http://www.ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush...rt-1-beginners

http://www.ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush...2-intermediate

This is a timely thread.
My SO has been on a rag rug binge lately.
She used the above technique to make some chair seat covers, and a rug.
Now she is crocheting one too.
A couple weeks ago she repurposed all that bailing twine from our hay bales to make a door mat. Damn cool….she’s a good woman.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
This is a timely thread.
My SO has been on a rag rug binge lately.
She used the above technique to make some chair seat covers, and a rug.
Now she is crocheting one too.
A couple weeks ago she repurposed all that bailing twine from our hay bales to make a door mat. Damn cool….she’s a good woman.
Looks to me like these are crocheted rugs that are crocheted with a toothbrush instead of a crochet hook.

My little old granny used to make oodles of crochet rugs, one she made as room size. It was beautiful, she had given it to my wife and I and we had it in our dining room. Then we moved to a diffn't house and Granny decided she would take it back and store it for us until we moved again.

Well, imagine my surprise when one day we went down to my sister's to find that our beautiful room sized rug Granny had torn up and made into several smaller rugs and Sis had them all. So, she gets several nice rugs made by Granny and we're left with nothing!

I guess that was Granny's idea of "storing" it for us. Wonder if I should ask my sister when she's done storing our rug?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM

My mom crocheted rag rugs so I learned. Dad made her a frame and she wove a few. Crochet you can make up big ball of rags. Braid one you to hand sew the ends as you go. Wool is nice,. I learned to make a five strand braid and you weave it together as you go. It is called weaving. I have made some shaggy rag rugs on the sewing machine,
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve104c View Post
Lee, I'll share anything I can. The fair last week was disappointing but not a deal breaker. I'm still going to try new things. I'm going to make lots of signs, "Made in the USA", "American Made", etc. I suggested a sign to my wife, but she didn't think it would be appropraite. Wasn't politicaly correct. I,m at work now (24 hour shift) but when I get home tomorrow I'm going to start on some rag rug handbags with the Texas flag theme. Here, people seem to go crazy over anything "Texas". I also will be makes rugs like the "Texas" flag. Maybe I'll make a sign that says "Made in the heart of Texas". If anyone has any questions on rag rug weaving, or any thing else, feel free to ask...................Steve.

Steve, do you have a blog or FaceBook page with your weaving on it?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Master Pontificator

My grandmother would go to Goodwill and buy men's polyester pants. She would cut them in strips about 1 or 2 inches. She then seem to fold the strips in an accordion style. Then with some heavy string and a needle (I think). She would insert the needle through the center of the material and keep adding strips in a oval shape. The rugs were durable and washable. I just wish I knew how she did it. I can not find a picture to show what I am talking about. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Ciderman,
I think you use a hump needle. type of crochet hook. I started one and never finished. I jus mplain crochet hook- steel. It was way different. I would was using wool material.

Some people fold the stripes in braided rugs. You can or could buy the little things to fold the strips and they came in sets of 3. They used a bodkin type needle to sew braided strips together.

Hooked rugs and punch needles. All kinds ofd rag rugs.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Master Pontificator

Colorado,

After I mentioned this to my wife she informed me grandma used only wool pants.

I did a general search for hump needles and that was not for my eyes, I did one for humpback needles and hump back needles and both showed whales which was better than the first one I tried. I will keep looking.

Thanks and I will be searching for what I need. At Christmas I found a website that sold them and forgot to book mark it. I can not find it again. I was searching quilting websites for my wife for Christmas gifts.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Ciderman,
Type in how to make a shirred rag rug. It tells how and it has the hump back crochet hook. I found it. Mine was never very big and I think by this I had too wide strips. I used regular crochet hook to try it. Mine was way too thick. I was crocheting with carpet warp.

My mom would buy wool stuff at Goodwill in the 40's and rip and wash made quilt blocks. She bought 10 cent bundles they called quilt material too. She got a pile of rayon type material in the material bundles and I used for shaggy rugs I made on the sewing machine. I can remember making 4 of them.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Master Pontificator

Colorado,

Thanks a million I appreciate it. This is something I always wanted to try. Now I have the information to decided if I can or not. I am not to artsy or coordinated.