BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Reloaders?

Peace,

Hi every one,

Its nice now that the forum is a little easier to patrol, which means I have time to visit like everyone else. I have been meaning to get to this board. I had a little experience many moons ago with an uncle one summer, working his reloading equiptment, under his supervision.

We tumbled the brass clean, measured and inspected it, re sized, and the rest for you experts is self explanatory, set the primer, add the measure of powder, press the round and repeat.

So to my inquiry? I would like to get set up for my own small selection of firearms and are very reluctant to go to the big stores and be taken for way to much money, so a private sale would be preferable.

But the question still is where to start? What brands are best quality? I used to go to all kinds of gun shows back in the day. Would like to get set up for: 16 gauge, .45acp, .38/ .357, and of course .308..........

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Hi 333

Reloading is my #1 hobby and I've been doing it since the 1980's. My recommendation to any newbie in reloading is to get a kit containing a single stage press. Here are two depending on the money you want to spend.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=121744

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=646599

Personally, I use mostly RCBS equipment and my advice is that you'll remember the quality long after the price is forgotten.

If you wait for it to be on sale though you can get the Lee kit for as little as 90$
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=423081

Once you have the kit, you will need die sets for it. You buy individual die sets for each caliber you reload. I'd say go with carbide because you don't have oil, the wash cases to resize them. Lee makes decent carbide dies.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=418312

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=661032

For rifles, you'll need steel dies. You have to lubricate the cases before sizing, then wash the cases afterwards to remove all traces of lubricant.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=148525

For shotshells
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=750550

You might find some of this equipment online at Craigslist or at flea markets. I bought a Champain shotshell reloader at the flea market for 20$. I've also bought reloading manuals there for a dollar. Shop around and you're likely to find a lot for sale.
Good luck,
Michael
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM

333, first thing to say is that your 16 ga is a different animal when it comes to reloading, you normally can't use the same reloading press as you do for centerfire metallic cartridges.

Everyone has an opinion when it comes to presses and dies. For a starter unit, I suggest a Lee, but I'm sure others will have different suggestions. Personally, I really like my Lee turret press for handgun reloading. If you want to do a LOT of reloading, the Dillon progressive (550) is one of the best, but it's a bit spendy. I've had mine for about 10 years now, and any problem I ever ran into was quickly solved over the phone, they have a lifetime warranty for parts. RCBS is also good for that, but getting them on the phone or an email reply can take a while.

Check places like gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com for used equipment. Expect to pay 1/2 to 2/3 of the new retail costs. For new stuff, I recommend MidwayUSA.com, watch for sales.

For the dies, I gave up on all brands except Lee Precision. For me, they are the best dies out there, even if they cost less. (that statement will probably generate all sorts of disagreement, but so be it.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, reloading books. For the first book (you'll want a bunch of them over time), spring for the $15 book, "Lee Reloading." It covers a lot of territory. You'll also want to spend what it takes to get a good, easy-to-use scale, the Rock Chucker scales are darn good.

Last edited by grumble; 02-09-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Peace,

Thanks folks, really....you all remind me of why I love this forum. Now to get the tax refund......lol and then......I hope you all dont mind but i got a feeling I will be in here with a lot of questions.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM

I picked up an RCBS, rock chucker supreme for about 300. Full kit, powder measure, scale, priming tool, lube pad and some other stuff. Nice full starter kit. Midway has em.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=646599

Have to buy calipers and dies as well, I went for the SS dial type caliper cost me about 30 bucks.What I like about all this stuff is no power or batteries are required with the exception of the tumbler.

I picked up a tumbler as well that was about 100 bucks if I recall. But that's optional depending on where you get your brass. Some folks still clean it up, I probably would also.

May want to pick up a stuck case remover and a pullet puller as well.

Probably all told depending on what you do your looking at 500 bucks, cheaper if ya leave out the tumbler.

I like the RCBS stuff it works for me. I find reloaders are pretty brand loyal once they find what they like. Some guys swear by the Lee stuff and I will probably be shot for this but I don't care for it. For me RCBS was a good set that didn't cost me a ton of money. I'm not sure what the Lee stuff runs. Nothing more satisfying then making your own bullets and taking them to the range and finding a load the gun likes that shoots well.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 AM

I have many different loading presses,dies,etc. I would consider lee a good choice for a beginner but stay away from lee progressive presses. lee's dies are good quality and cheap! Lyman makes a good product at a fair price also. hornady reloading equipment is fairly new to me but I love the stuff I have. Dillon makes an excellent product as well but Pricey$$$.
I also have a lot of RCBS equipment,,, After finding out that a so called American made product is made from nearly all Chinese parts and buying a really crappy set of dies(Dimensions were all wrong) I would not recommend RCBS.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Master Pontificator

Exclamation

Iuse nealy exclusively RCBS and REDDING.

i DO VERY MUCH LIKE THE lEE HAND PRIMING TOOL, AND THEIR 'FACTORY CRIMP DIES." They also make some very good bullet moulds. I shop for the older RCBS die sets and individual specialized and custom dies at gunshows and on EBAY they cannot be beat for shear quality.

Some brands that are not so popular like the BONANZA COAX are of the very highest quality.

The best presses ever made are HOLLYWOOD and when you can find them they are priced accordingly. Used BAIR equipment especially the KODIAK press is some fine stuff.

If I have to buy new dies I try to stick to Reddding expensive but quality costs.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 AM

I set up with a Lee hand press, scale and dies for 9mm, 10mm and .45 ACP with freight from Midway for about $135. Powder, primers, bullets and some brass was $81. Not the fastest or the most convenient but it does the job. Lee manual $13 or find the loads on the web like ammoguide

Pot from Goodwill,burner from a junk water heater, wheel weights from the tire store and Lee molds from Midway came to $71 and then I need to change the size of the bullets from one of the molds so the sizer and freight was $25

About $312 - the same as just a press and I have the stuff for 1k rounds with some stuff left over. BIL bought Powder, primer out of Kansas $110 5k primers and $19 powder but the freight was a killer $25 hazmat and $7 UPS plus dies so together whe have between 3 & 4 k rounds for $505 and the time to put assemble. Another $40 in powder and we would run out of primers first things don't come out even 8 buns and 10 hotdogs.

If you don't load hot the cases will recycle between 10 and 20 times and see 1-200 loaded as a target and 1k as not unreasonable - burning 50-100 at the range once or twice a month is 'normal' and leaves time to get ready for the next session.

Powder Valley cataloges berdan primers and steel cases will run 2-3 times before splitting, the tool for pulling the primers is $63 or they can usually be hydrauliced out with water in the case and a close fitting punch, leave the primer a place to go. You can also drill and pry the primer
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM

One of the neat things on the Midway online catalog is the wish list - it will add the stuff for you and keep track of it so you can see what the price is and the freight, your setup is nearly the same as mine.

The components for 12 ga cost the same as loaded and take simular room to store but for .410, 20 and 16 ga you can save a little and a fair amount on the other shotgun shells. Wads are a pain though and you can 'tune' the powder and seating pressure some if your gun does not pattern well with the cook book. The other is with a 10# bottle or 25# bag of shot you are not out of the shells that you want. Texan is one of the best shotshell loaders, Mec is good, I haven't used the Lee but everything that I have bought from them has been first rate and mostly 1/2 or less than the competition. The safety scale will weigh a bit of paper 3/16 in square - Lyman 1010 won't but the safety scale won't scale the load for a .50 BMG or sort bullets for weight
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 PM

Default reloading

Great thread. I'm looking at gettin into reloading myself later this year. Several of the suggestions are very similar to what I've been able to learn so far locally. I'm hoping to load 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, .308, and possibly 12 & 20 ga.
A big question I have, what do you folks use to store your powder in? I've been thinking about a fireproof cabinet. Ideas?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM

I use a cardboard box. I do not want to have a situation where it can generate pressure to accelerate combustion, it will just burn. It has 2 layers of corrugated for strength in case something should fall on the box - it is stored low to stay cool. I have had up to 25 # but kept it segregated 8 # to the box in different places.

Wood is good as long as it will not build pressure, dump a tablespoon on the ground and light it, then roll up a bean sized bit in a dozen layers of newspaper twist off the ends and light it ( leave some space ) More than 1/2 the time pistol powder will make noise, rifle a little less than 1/2, black powder always.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Default Reloading

First off, Midway is a ripoff, period! They may have alot of stuff but their prices are one of the highest around. I'd look elswhere first from a price standpoint.

As to a beginner's press, the Lee cast iron press is hard to beat for the price. I have one and for the beginner or occasional reloader(such as myself), they can't be beat.

As to shotgun reloading, a MEC 600 jr reloader is a great choice. My dad and me loaded thousands of rounds with his MEC. Nice little machine and put out a decent shell. About the easiest reloader I've ever used.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM

A big question I have, what do you folks use to store your powder in? I've been thinking about a fireproof cabinet. Ideas?

Well Think on this. With all the regualtions the Govenrment puts on business how dio the BIG stores store it? Well lets see , I go into one of them and they just have way more than me and its on open shelves. IF thats good enough for ALL the regs business has to go thru for safe storage , well I guess I am saying that is EXACTLY how I store it and have no where near as much to store. just keep dry and on open shelves .Now if you worried of little hands and such, keep the room locked.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Going to make a couple guesses here..............

By using a "fire proof" cabinet, you are creating the potential for a bomb.........
That being, "fire proof" isn't I don't think. Maybe VERY fire resistant, but eventually the contents will get hot enough to do something. And it may not be a good result.

I have burned free standing smokeless powder, in small quantities, as a demonstration for firearms safety class. So from that experience I'm going to think smokeless powder stored in the original containers will burn off harmlessly. If you contain it, there will be pressure build up and uncontrolled release of that pressure.

Black powder is a VERY different animal. I have no experience with storing large quantities of it. Other than to burn off a small amount in a demo.

Good luck
Wyo
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Agree. I keep only small amounts of powder and they simply stay on a shelf in my basement. Its cool, its dry, and the containers are kept tightly closed until being used.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Default reloading

Thanks for the input guys. I'll just save the money for something else, Maybe a nicer set of scales.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Peace,

Wow, its been sometime, but all the excellent info was put to good use....... thanks

Some how I never seem to be finished loading

Ran across one the other day w/2flash holes and well the primer extractor no likey..

In my absence "doin time in ilion" lol, have managed some nice acquisitions ie. a 700 that maintains .49 - .63 @ 100 very happy.

hope all are well thanks again

Old 01-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Ran across one the other day w/2flash holes and well the primer extractor no likey..
I assume from this statement that you tried to decap a Berdan-primed case and you damaged something? Did you bend/break the decapping pin, or did things just get stuck?

How are you proceeding in your acquisition of reloading equipment? Years back I was somewhat lucky. Years ago I spotted a Craigslist ad (maybe it wasn't Craigslist back then) and bought an entire Lyman casting setup with molds, furnace, lubesizer, and tools for 80$. That got me jumpstarted into casting my own bullets instantaneously. In the years since, I've added greatly the number of molds, dies, tools to my reloading setup. I can make my own 9mm/40S&W/45ACP loads for about 3$ per box, though the fixed costs of all the tooling would be huge if I had to purchase it all retail.

I like to frequent flea markets, and have found great stuff there. Got a RCBS balance for 5$, A powder measure for 19$, and about 1000 44 magnum brass for just 18$. It's a place to find great deals, but not so good if you want something specific ASAP. Good luck with your own endever.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Peace,

lol your operation makes one drool with envy

Yea bent a pin heh heh

Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Post Looking for reloading items i may have what u need

If you're looking ~I have several Lee caliber kits and one Anniversary kit. for sale, dies from several manufactures new and used. Bullets,brass, 9mm , 6 cavity mould