BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Need advice on DIY selling/financing a house

I have a piece of property I want to get rid of. I am considering owner financing. I don't want to get stuck with squatters though, and I understand that if I do it could cost me at least 5k and up to 6 mo. to remove them. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of it balancing out cost , profit and effort involved.

Does anyone here have any experience on owner financing a house? Is a background check on the prospective buyer done? What can I expect the attorney fees to be selling this way? What qualities denote a goood buyer versus a bad buyer?
The property is free and clear, yet to sell it I'm told I'll still need to do a title search.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've carried a mortgage and never had a problem. I used a title company as my closing company (they do it all in FL). I did a credit check, but mostly it was that I believed the people. I know that sounds stuipid when I write it, but I trusted them. I had a short mortgage -- 5 years -- and they were fine.

I have also bought several pieces of property with owner carrying and always paid and never had an issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Thank you Aamylf !

You trusting them dos not sound stupid to me at all! I just squashed a deal on a prospective buyer because I had a very bad feeling about it/her, not to mention her ever changing information. I spoke with a paralegal friend who told me about squatters and that scared the bejeebers out of me. She also had a bad feeling about the gal. I'm confident that I made the right decision this time but in the future who knows? I am not aware of the pitfalls in doing this type of business. I'll look into title companys here and see what I can work out.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I agree with Amy. It ain't hard to do, and can work to the advantage of both parties. Just be sure to get a large enough down payment to finance the eviction if that becomes necessary. Have the buyer pay most of the closing costs, like the title insurance, inspections, credit report fee, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks grumble. Good advice.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Tell me more on the squatters sittuations. I maybe selling my Moms house soon and need to check into all this.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM

You could do worse than advertising here, many good people in the forum. Heck where is the property, I myself am always looking for good property.