BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default How to make your own washing soda

Hope this is the right place for this. I know some have had a hard time finding washing soda and I just ran across how to convert baking soda into washing soda.

Mind you I haven't tried this yet but it's nice to know how.

"1. Preheat your oven to approximately 390 - 400 Fahrenheit. (200 C)
2. Pour a box (or a few cups) of baking soda (not baking powder) onto a baking sheet, and put it in the oven.
3. Bake the baking soda from 30-60 minutes. I've seen reports of people baking it as little as 30 minutes - and people baking it as long as 2 hours. It doesn't appear that over-baking it is a problem...so I'd recommend 45-60 minutes just to assure that the chemical reaction is completely complete.
4. After pulling the baking sheet out of the oven and letting it cool, store the washing soda in a clearly labeled airtight container. The washing soda can "convert" back into baking soda if it's exposed to air."

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/ti...shing-Soda.htm
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM

So, what is the real difference? Why wouldn't baking soda work in making laundry detergent? If it is simply the same except has some dehydrating to it, why do all the recipes call for washing soda rather than baking soda? Heat wouldn't cause a chemical change, only a change in the amount of water in the product. That's interesting. I will be spending fifty cents for baking soda rather than $4 for washing soda from now on when I make detergent.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Heat does cause a chemical change. Heat baking soda and you release moisture but also carbon dioxide. The change is apparent in the name. While BS is sodium bicarbonate WS is simply sodium carbonate.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Very cool. A very nice thing to know thank you very much.
sissy
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Default Good News If This Works....

Howdy.

For those cash strapped families on foodstamps, this might make a tiny difference of a few bucks each month since baking soda is food stampable. You'd be suprised how much general cleaning you can do with baking soda, vinegar, cream of tartar, and lemon juice. All foodstampable. Also don't forget to save your woodashes for the "oven cleaner" type projects.OzarksJohn
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Passed On

Great tip! I had no idea it could be done, but the chemistry is right. DD has a degree in chemistry, and agrees. Yeah, it is the carbon dioxide difference.

I'll check out the price difference. We found big bags of baking soda at Sam's Club pretty cheap.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Depending on the cost of running your stove for 45-60 minutes, this could be much cheaper than buying washing soda, even if it's available in your area. A 55-oz box of washing soda works out to nearly 8 cents/oz, or roughly 1.24 for a 16-oz box of baking soda. I can get baking soda for 45 cents a box at Aldi, and right now the 12-lb bag of baking soda at Sam's is running a bit cheaper per pound than that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Passed On

Hmm. Yeah, the stove cost is a factor. But we could do that on the wood stove in winter and not notice that it cost us anything.....
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Master Pontificator

I have been unable to get the Dolgen Corp. (Dollar General) to answer my question as to the addition of aluminum in their baking soda. If you all have your graywater go out in a septic or sand mound, or if you use baking soda to alkaline your body chemistry, do your homework on this. Aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. I`ve been told that pure baking soda is available online in bulk.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm a liquid soap maker and use it for laundry soap. I've been putting washing soda in the mix, now I can just use the cheaper baking soda. Very cool.
Lisa
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years

Dumb Question, but I am out of town and not at home to check my box. Is aluminum usually added to baking soda of most brands, or is that only with certain brands of baking soda like at Dollar General as was mentioned above? I like to brush my teeth with a paste I make of peroxide and baking soda, but if it there is aluminum in it, I need to make a change!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 AM

I don't know of any aluminum in baking soda. It is however common in baking powder. Baking powder is a mixture of chemicals, while baking soda is only sodium bicarbonate.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcadet View Post
I have been unable to get the Dolgen Corp. (Dollar General) to answer my question as to the addition of aluminum in their baking soda. If you all have your graywater go out in a septic or sand mound, or if you use baking soda to alkaline your body chemistry, do your homework on this. Aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. I`ve been told that pure baking soda is available online in bulk.
anyone have a source for that? Maybe some of us living closer together could go in together on a big bag. what is the shelf life of Baking Soda.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycon View Post
Depending on the cost of running your stove for 45-60 minutes, this could be much cheaper than buying washing soda, even if it's available in your area. A 55-oz box of washing soda works out to nearly 8 cents/oz, or roughly 1.24 for a 16-oz box of baking soda. I can get baking soda for 45 cents a box at Aldi, and right now the 12-lb bag of baking soda at Sam's is running a bit cheaper per pound than that. Thanks for the tip!

All this talk about soda. Washing soda and baking soda are not the same chemical compound at all.

Also, it's baking powder not baking soda that contains aluminum.

Why in the world would you use baking soda in making soap for a receipt that calls for washing soda. Why go to all the work of making your own washing soda from baking soda?

Crying out loud I can go on Ebay and buy washing soda or what they call soda ash for less than 8 cents an ounce and that's including the shipping to get it to me. If you're making soap, or making varnish remover with it like I am, just go on ebay and order fifteen pounds of it. You can get smaller quantities too but then the price goes up a bit, but still beats all that trouble and you have the real product, not some substitute. And if you want real cheap baking soda, go to the local feed mill and ask them for a bag of sodium bicarbonate. They mix it in dairy feed. You can get it really really cheap there.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Or, just buy the cheap Dollar Store powdered laundry detergent. Here, it has the "Gain" brand name. Costs about $0.80 a pound. It has about 98% washing soda, 2% perfume and other things. If you plan to eat it, that 2% might count for something, but my 4 yo granddaughter says it tastes terrible.

EDIT: Oops! Not "Gain." Brand name is "Xtra." Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by grumble; 06-19-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: correct error
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
Or, just buy the cheap Dollar Store powdered laundry detergent. Here, it has the "Gain" brand name. Costs about $0.80 a pound. It has about 98% washing soda, 2% perfume and other things. If you plan to eat it, that 2% might count for something, but my 4 yo granddaughter says it tastes terrible.

EDIT: Oops! Not "Gain." Brand name is "Xtra." Sorry for any confusion.
Probably would work if you're making your own soap but that extra additives will mess it up so you can't make varnish remover with it.

We used to buy arm and hammer washing sody in the store and use it for washing clothes and making varnish and paint remover then they "improved" the formula and I couldn't ever make varnish remover with it again.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Maybe, I haven't tried making varnish remover with it. I use it mostly for electrolysis, cleaning gun barrels and messed up cast iron. It makes a great rust and goop remover.