BHM Forum      
Subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine print or Kindle editions
Office Hours Momday - Friday  8 am - 5 pm Pacific 1-800-835-2418

Facebook   YouTube   Twitter
Follow Us!



 
Backwoods Home Magazine, self-reliance, homesteading, off-grid

Features
 Home Page
 Current Issue
 Article Index
 Author Index
 Previous Issues
 Newsletter
 Letters
 Humor
 Free Stuff
 Recipes
 Print Classifieds

General Store
 Ordering Info
 Subscriptions
 Kindle Subscriptions
 ePublications
 Anthologies
 Books
 Back Issues
 Help Yourself
 All Specials
 Classified Ad

Advertise
 Web Site Ads
 Magazine Ads

BHM Blogs
 Ask Jackie Clay
 Massad Ayoob
 Claire Wolfe
 James Kash
 Where We Live
 Behind The Scenes
 Dave on Twitter
Retired Blogs
 Oliver Del Signore
 David Lee
 Energy Questions
 Bramblestitches

Quick Links
 Home Energy Info
 Jackie Clay
 Ask Jackie Online
 Dave Duffy
 Massad Ayoob
 John Silveira
 Claire Wolfe

Forum / Chat
 Forum/Chat Info
 Enter Forum
 Lost Password

More Features
 Meet The Staff
 Contact Us/
 Change of Address
 Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show





  
 

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

  Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Rifles/Shotguns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Poonie Male Poonie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 279
Default Bolt Action shotgun for turkey hunting.

Does anyone still use an old Bolt action shotgun for turkey hunting? I may have the opportunity to pick one up cheap at a local gunshop. They have an old JC higgins 16 gauge for $69.00. I"m not too into the 16 Gauge as its a dying shotshell gauge, and they don't make a specific turkey loading for it, bu tfor thep rice I was thinking I couldn't go wrong. Just wondering if anyone here still hunts with a bolt action shotgun.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Wyobuckaroo's Avatar
Wyobuckaroo Male Wyobuckaroo is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Frozen WI
Posts: 4,373
Default

If it was up to me...................
Not sure that I wouldn't hold out for a 12ga. Spend a little more money if I had to, wait a little longer. One with a 3" chamber would be preferable.

Maybe consider a 3" chambered 20ga, if the price and availability were right.
I think either gauge would be an acceptable turkey getter. You usually only have one shot at a bird. Besides, if the gun is cheap enough, have fun giving it a homemade camo paint job of your choice.

This being said because of, like you said, the ammo choices are better than with the 16ga.

Nothing wrong with the 16ga. Just ammo availability issues.

Good luck
Wyo
__________________
A goal is a dream with a deadline...
Some days I'm so confused, I don't know if I found a rope..... or lost my horse....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
rice paddy daddy's Avatar
rice paddy daddy Male rice paddy daddy is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On a dirt road in N.E. Fla.
Posts: 2,693
Default

I don't hunt, but I'm a sucker for old school firearms. I picked up a Mossberg 410 bolt action with C-Lect choke a few months ago and tote it around our little farm on occasion. It holds two rounds, the first one up is a 3" #6 birdshot, and the second one is a 3" OOO buck, just in case.
Look out mister possum!!! Big Daddy's comin fer ya!!!

I'm not into the whole tacticool short barrel 12 ga pump with mag extension and flashlight deal. I prefer working guns.
__________________
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Builder Ken Builder Ken is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 473
Default

I would say for the price you cant beat it it provides food and protection as well as enjoyment where else can you get all that for $69.00 and I bet if you offered $50.00 you could buy it. Ken
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
grumble Male grumble is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: W NM, a rifle shot from the Great Divide
Posts: 2,641
Default

Naa, everyone knows you can't kill nuttin' with a bolt action. Only semi-autos with synthetic stocks, quik-change choke tubes, and tricked out actions will kill a turkey. That's why they never ate turkey until about 1920 or so, whenever it was they decided Thanksgiving was a national holiday, only AFTER semi-auto shotguns were invented.

Besides, how can you kill a flock of turkeys if you have to keep working a bolt?

Truth is, turkeys are so stupid they don't much care what you kill 'em with.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
gunsmoke Male gunsmoke is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 632
Thumbs up

There is nothing wrong with a bolt action shotgun, if it is in good condition and it works.

There is nothing wrong with the 16 gauge. Have you ever heard of the internet? That is where most people buy ammunition these days. Because
Walmart does not have 16 ga cases stacked floor to ceiling does not mean the 16 ga is "dying."

Internet or telephone, or the old fashionedU S Mail, here is ONE just ONE online store where you can order from a choice of FIFTY (50) 16 ga loads:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...2&pagenumber=2

(A quick skim revealed two REMINGTON Magnum loads in #2 and #4 shot perfectly adequate for turkey.)

Some states do have silly regulations about individuals receiving live ammunition at their front door by common carrier and live ammunition may NOT be shipped by U S Mail. Do you have UPS or FEDEX in your area? I'll bet if your State doesn't have any silly laws I'll bet either one can find you.

One final point if you have the desire and the patience, a smaller gauge/caliber firearm or single shot can make you a much better hunter. By requiring you to learn basic hunting skills like stalking which reequires you to observe and learn the behavior of the game you seek, patience to wait for the right shot to present itself, aiming, breath and trigger control. And as a bonus all of these things will make you a much better, much more sucessful hunter than a hand-fitted custom $10,000 shotgun ever will.

Good luck, google "RECIPE: BRINING TURKEY" and plant some shallots, rosemary, and sage NOW for seasoning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
stickbowhntr Male stickbowhntr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sw PA
Posts: 68
Default

If you ask a question like that I am not sure you woulkd be using the gun all that much that ammo would be a problem. I would get it and never look back. Buy a case of ammo and find some as big a shot size as you can for turkey and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 PM
gunsmoke Male gunsmoke is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 632
Default

That same ammo source I gave you a link to has two SLUG loads in 16ga, I'd get one box of each and give them a try, if your new gun shoots one of them well, buy more and put some venison in your freezer this winter.

Do you have any hogs that frequent your homestead?

Some ground pork and venison mixed 50/50 will make great burgers, sausage, meatloaf, lasagna, meatballs and if you like Mexican, Tamales and Tacos! If you get enough turkey that can make really good Tamales, Tacos as well.

Use your imagination and you'll find that by vrying the seasoning and spices you can add limitless variety to your diet and life and save money on high quality protein.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Poonie Male Poonie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
There is nothing wrong with a bolt action shotgun, if it is in good condition and it works.

There is nothing wrong with the 16 gauge. Have you ever heard of the internet? That is where most people buy ammunition these days. Because
Walmart does not have 16 ga cases stacked floor to ceiling does not mean the 16 ga is "dying."

Internet or telephone, or the old fashionedU S Mail, here is ONE just ONE online store where you can order from a choice of FIFTY (50) 16 ga loads:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...2&pagenumber=2

(A quick skim revealed two REMINGTON Magnum loads in #2 and #4 shot perfectly adequate for turkey.)

Some states do have silly regulations about individuals receiving live ammunition at their front door by common carrier and live ammunition may NOT be shipped by U S Mail. Do you have UPS or FEDEX in your area? I'll bet if your State doesn't have any silly laws I'll bet either one can find you.

One final point if you have the desire and the patience, a smaller gauge/caliber firearm or single shot can make you a much better hunter. By requiring you to learn basic hunting skills like stalking which reequires you to observe and learn the behavior of the game you seek, patience to wait for the right shot to present itself, aiming, breath and trigger control. And as a bonus all of these things will make you a much better, much more sucessful hunter than a hand-fitted custom $10,000 shotgun ever will.

Good luck, google "RECIPE: BRINING TURKEY" and plant some shallots, rosemary, and sage NOW for seasoning.
Come now, lets not insinuate that I am ignorant to the fact that I can purchase ammunition via internet. I'm fully aware. The problem therein lies the fact that shipping charges are killer these days and any ammo purchase of any size via "the mail" makes it prohibitive. Yes, I could source 16 gauge ammunition that way. I know that. The availability problem I foresee, and one I do not want to experience is, what if I'm on that 200 mile away hunting trip and upon arriving the night before the opener, I realize, I've left my 16 gauge ammo sitting on the dining room table. Hmm, ok I'll pop down to the nearest store and pick up a few boxes to tide me over.....Wrong! In this case I'd more than likely have to hit 6 or 7 stores and if I'm lucky one may have one old dusty box on the shelf, for which I will pay dearly just so my hunt would not be ruined. No sir, far better to simply wait until I can find a shotgun such as this in a more common gauge such as 12 or 20. Then should the above scenario play out, its a simple matter of locating that wal-mart or K-mart or mom and pop place and I'm home free.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
rice paddy daddy's Avatar
rice paddy daddy Male rice paddy daddy is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On a dirt road in N.E. Fla.
Posts: 2,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
Come now, lets not insinuate that I am ignorant to the fact that I can purchase ammunition via internet. I'm fully aware. The problem therein lies the fact that shipping charges are killer these days and any ammo purchase of any size via "the mail" makes it prohibitive. Yes, I could source 16 gauge ammunition that way. I know that. The availability problem I foresee, and one I do not want to experience is, what if I'm on that 200 mile away hunting trip and upon arriving the night before the opener, I realize, I've left my 16 gauge ammo sitting on the dining room table. Hmm, ok I'll pop down to the nearest store and pick up a few boxes to tide me over.....Wrong! In this case I'd more than likely have to hit 6 or 7 stores and if I'm lucky one may have one old dusty box on the shelf, for which I will pay dearly just so my hunt would not be ruined. No sir, far better to simply wait until I can find a shotgun such as this in a more common gauge such as 12 or 20. Then should the above scenario play out, its a simple matter of locating that wal-mart or K-mart or mom and pop place and I'm home free.
OOOKAAAY. So now I'm confused as to why you posted the original question, since you already seem to have your own answer.
__________________
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
gunsmoke Male gunsmoke is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post


OOOKAAAY. So now I'm confused as to why you posted the original question, since you already seem to have your own answer.




Oh I think Poonie is right! I'm just stoopid! I'm 54 years old, I have been exhibition shooting since I was 9 years old, competatively since I was 12, and professionally since I was 18.

In all those years of carrying and traveling with multiple firearms, I have never once left home and "FORGOT" ro bring the appropriate ammunition!

Normal people do that all the time, I also missed the exhorbitant shipping costs on ammo. Buying cases at a time I usually pay a flat S & H fee regardless the size of orders. Besides it's much cheaper to jump into the car and burn $4.00/gal on gas than shipping!

Just the other day I was at my local library chating with a neighbor when our local UPS man came in with a delivery to the library. He is a very small (In stature) and I always kid him about slinging those heavy packages the way he does, We both greeted him and I said to my neighbor "Don't shake his hand he might break your fingers!" He replied "Well that would be your fault, I used to be a 77 lb. weakiling before I got this route and started delivering 3 to 400 lbs of ammunition to you every week!"

Never mind from now on I'll mind my own business
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Poonie Male Poonie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
Oh I think Poonie is right! I'm just stoopid! I'm 54 years old, I have been exhibition shooting since I was 9 years old, competatively since I was 12, and professionally since I was 18.

In all those years of carrying and traveling with multiple firearms, I have never once left home and "FORGOT" ro bring the appropriate ammunition!

Normal people do that all the time, I also missed the exhorbitant shipping costs on ammo. Buying cases at a time I usually pay a flat S & H fee regardless the size of orders. Besides it's much cheaper to jump into the car and burn $4.00/gal on gas than shipping!

Just the other day I was at my local library chating with a neighbor when our local UPS man came in with a delivery to the library. He is a very small (In stature) and I always kid him about slinging those heavy packages the way he does, We both greeted him and I said to my neighbor "Don't shake his hand he might break your fingers!" He replied "Well that would be your fault, I used to be a 77 lb. weakiling before I got this route and started delivering 3 to 400 lbs of ammunition to you every week!"

Never mind from now on I'll mind my own business
Never said you were stupid. That was your assumption, shame on you. Anyway, maybe buying hundreds of pounds of ammunition per week is economical for YOU. Maybe You pay that flat rate because YOU fire 3000 rounds a month. I don't do that. I don't competitively shoot, and would never need to buy hundreds of pounds of ammunition at a time because that's not what I do! And for a firearm that I'd only fire a few times a year(mostly likely only during turkey and maybe deer season) even buying 1 case of ammunition wouldn't be economical for me because I'd get raped on the shipping to the point that if I could find it locally I could probably buy 2 cases for the same price. Now just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And again I didn't call you stupid or was trying to insinuate same.

Oh and BTW - I won't be the one with detached retinas from all those years of competitive (not impressed) shooting either. Good day sir.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM
gunsmoke Male gunsmoke is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 632
Default

You never told us whether or not you got your turkey this spring!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
rice paddy daddy's Avatar
rice paddy daddy Male rice paddy daddy is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On a dirt road in N.E. Fla.
Posts: 2,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
You never told us whether or not you got your turkey this spring!
Dang! I almost got one. This gobbler was chasing a hen across the road and if I hadn't braked I'd have been in posetion of a turkey with no license or turkey tag.
__________________
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -2. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.