Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Rifles/Shotguns

Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Default Bolt Action shotgun for turkey hunting.

Does anyone still use an old Bolt action shotgun for turkey hunting? I may have the opportunity to pick one up cheap at a local gunshop. They have an old JC higgins 16 gauge for $69.00. I"m not too into the 16 Gauge as its a dying shotshell gauge, and they don't make a specific turkey loading for it, bu tfor thep rice I was thinking I couldn't go wrong. Just wondering if anyone here still hunts with a bolt action shotgun.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

If it was up to me...................
Not sure that I wouldn't hold out for a 12ga. Spend a little more money if I had to, wait a little longer. One with a 3" chamber would be preferable.

Maybe consider a 3" chambered 20ga, if the price and availability were right.
I think either gauge would be an acceptable turkey getter. You usually only have one shot at a bird. Besides, if the gun is cheap enough, have fun giving it a homemade camo paint job of your choice.

This being said because of, like you said, the ammo choices are better than with the 16ga.

Nothing wrong with the 16ga. Just ammo availability issues.

Good luck
Wyo
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM

I don't hunt, but I'm a sucker for old school firearms. I picked up a Mossberg 410 bolt action with C-Lect choke a few months ago and tote it around our little farm on occasion. It holds two rounds, the first one up is a 3" #6 birdshot, and the second one is a 3" OOO buck, just in case.
Look out mister possum!!! Big Daddy's comin fer ya!!!

I'm not into the whole tacticool short barrel 12 ga pump with mag extension and flashlight deal. I prefer working guns.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM

I would say for the price you cant beat it it provides food and protection as well as enjoyment where else can you get all that for $69.00 and I bet if you offered $50.00 you could buy it. Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Naa, everyone knows you can't kill nuttin' with a bolt action. Only semi-autos with synthetic stocks, quik-change choke tubes, and tricked out actions will kill a turkey. That's why they never ate turkey until about 1920 or so, whenever it was they decided Thanksgiving was a national holiday, only AFTER semi-auto shotguns were invented.

Besides, how can you kill a flock of turkeys if you have to keep working a bolt?

Truth is, turkeys are so stupid they don't much care what you kill 'em with.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Master Pontificator

Thumbs up

There is nothing wrong with a bolt action shotgun, if it is in good condition and it works.

There is nothing wrong with the 16 gauge. Have you ever heard of the internet? That is where most people buy ammunition these days. Because
Walmart does not have 16 ga cases stacked floor to ceiling does not mean the 16 ga is "dying."

Internet or telephone, or the old fashionedU S Mail, here is ONE just ONE online store where you can order from a choice of FIFTY (50) 16 ga loads:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...2&pagenumber=2

(A quick skim revealed two REMINGTON Magnum loads in #2 and #4 shot perfectly adequate for turkey.)

Some states do have silly regulations about individuals receiving live ammunition at their front door by common carrier and live ammunition may NOT be shipped by U S Mail. Do you have UPS or FEDEX in your area? I'll bet if your State doesn't have any silly laws I'll bet either one can find you.

One final point if you have the desire and the patience, a smaller gauge/caliber firearm or single shot can make you a much better hunter. By requiring you to learn basic hunting skills like stalking which reequires you to observe and learn the behavior of the game you seek, patience to wait for the right shot to present itself, aiming, breath and trigger control. And as a bonus all of these things will make you a much better, much more sucessful hunter than a hand-fitted custom $10,000 shotgun ever will.

Good luck, google "RECIPE: BRINING TURKEY" and plant some shallots, rosemary, and sage NOW for seasoning.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM

If you ask a question like that I am not sure you woulkd be using the gun all that much that ammo would be a problem. I would get it and never look back. Buy a case of ammo and find some as big a shot size as you can for turkey and enjoy it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Master Pontificator

That same ammo source I gave you a link to has two SLUG loads in 16ga, I'd get one box of each and give them a try, if your new gun shoots one of them well, buy more and put some venison in your freezer this winter.

Do you have any hogs that frequent your homestead?

Some ground pork and venison mixed 50/50 will make great burgers, sausage, meatloaf, lasagna, meatballs and if you like Mexican, Tamales and Tacos! If you get enough turkey that can make really good Tamales, Tacos as well.

Use your imagination and you'll find that by vrying the seasoning and spices you can add limitless variety to your diet and life and save money on high quality protein.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
There is nothing wrong with a bolt action shotgun, if it is in good condition and it works.

There is nothing wrong with the 16 gauge. Have you ever heard of the internet? That is where most people buy ammunition these days. Because
Walmart does not have 16 ga cases stacked floor to ceiling does not mean the 16 ga is "dying."

Internet or telephone, or the old fashionedU S Mail, here is ONE just ONE online store where you can order from a choice of FIFTY (50) 16 ga loads:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...2&pagenumber=2

(A quick skim revealed two REMINGTON Magnum loads in #2 and #4 shot perfectly adequate for turkey.)

Some states do have silly regulations about individuals receiving live ammunition at their front door by common carrier and live ammunition may NOT be shipped by U S Mail. Do you have UPS or FEDEX in your area? I'll bet if your State doesn't have any silly laws I'll bet either one can find you.

One final point if you have the desire and the patience, a smaller gauge/caliber firearm or single shot can make you a much better hunter. By requiring you to learn basic hunting skills like stalking which reequires you to observe and learn the behavior of the game you seek, patience to wait for the right shot to present itself, aiming, breath and trigger control. And as a bonus all of these things will make you a much better, much more sucessful hunter than a hand-fitted custom $10,000 shotgun ever will.

Good luck, google "RECIPE: BRINING TURKEY" and plant some shallots, rosemary, and sage NOW for seasoning.
Come now, lets not insinuate that I am ignorant to the fact that I can purchase ammunition via internet. I'm fully aware. The problem therein lies the fact that shipping charges are killer these days and any ammo purchase of any size via "the mail" makes it prohibitive. Yes, I could source 16 gauge ammunition that way. I know that. The availability problem I foresee, and one I do not want to experience is, what if I'm on that 200 mile away hunting trip and upon arriving the night before the opener, I realize, I've left my 16 gauge ammo sitting on the dining room table. Hmm, ok I'll pop down to the nearest store and pick up a few boxes to tide me over.....Wrong! In this case I'd more than likely have to hit 6 or 7 stores and if I'm lucky one may have one old dusty box on the shelf, for which I will pay dearly just so my hunt would not be ruined. No sir, far better to simply wait until I can find a shotgun such as this in a more common gauge such as 12 or 20. Then should the above scenario play out, its a simple matter of locating that wal-mart or K-mart or mom and pop place and I'm home free.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
Come now, lets not insinuate that I am ignorant to the fact that I can purchase ammunition via internet. I'm fully aware. The problem therein lies the fact that shipping charges are killer these days and any ammo purchase of any size via "the mail" makes it prohibitive. Yes, I could source 16 gauge ammunition that way. I know that. The availability problem I foresee, and one I do not want to experience is, what if I'm on that 200 mile away hunting trip and upon arriving the night before the opener, I realize, I've left my 16 gauge ammo sitting on the dining room table. Hmm, ok I'll pop down to the nearest store and pick up a few boxes to tide me over.....Wrong! In this case I'd more than likely have to hit 6 or 7 stores and if I'm lucky one may have one old dusty box on the shelf, for which I will pay dearly just so my hunt would not be ruined. No sir, far better to simply wait until I can find a shotgun such as this in a more common gauge such as 12 or 20. Then should the above scenario play out, its a simple matter of locating that wal-mart or K-mart or mom and pop place and I'm home free.
OOOKAAAY. So now I'm confused as to why you posted the original question, since you already seem to have your own answer.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post

OOOKAAAY. So now I'm confused as to why you posted the original question, since you already seem to have your own answer.

Oh I think Poonie is right! I'm just stoopid! I'm 54 years old, I have been exhibition shooting since I was 9 years old, competatively since I was 12, and professionally since I was 18.

In all those years of carrying and traveling with multiple firearms, I have never once left home and "FORGOT" ro bring the appropriate ammunition!

Normal people do that all the time, I also missed the exhorbitant shipping costs on ammo. Buying cases at a time I usually pay a flat S & H fee regardless the size of orders. Besides it's much cheaper to jump into the car and burn $4.00/gal on gas than shipping!

Just the other day I was at my local library chating with a neighbor when our local UPS man came in with a delivery to the library. He is a very small (In stature) and I always kid him about slinging those heavy packages the way he does, We both greeted him and I said to my neighbor "Don't shake his hand he might break your fingers!" He replied "Well that would be your fault, I used to be a 77 lb. weakiling before I got this route and started delivering 3 to 400 lbs of ammunition to you every week!"

Never mind from now on I'll mind my own business
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Oh I think Poonie is right! I'm just stoopid! I'm 54 years old, I have been exhibition shooting since I was 9 years old, competatively since I was 12, and professionally since I was 18.

In all those years of carrying and traveling with multiple firearms, I have never once left home and "FORGOT" ro bring the appropriate ammunition!

Normal people do that all the time, I also missed the exhorbitant shipping costs on ammo. Buying cases at a time I usually pay a flat S & H fee regardless the size of orders. Besides it's much cheaper to jump into the car and burn $4.00/gal on gas than shipping!

Just the other day I was at my local library chating with a neighbor when our local UPS man came in with a delivery to the library. He is a very small (In stature) and I always kid him about slinging those heavy packages the way he does, We both greeted him and I said to my neighbor "Don't shake his hand he might break your fingers!" He replied "Well that would be your fault, I used to be a 77 lb. weakiling before I got this route and started delivering 3 to 400 lbs of ammunition to you every week!"

Never mind from now on I'll mind my own business
Never said you were stupid. That was your assumption, shame on you. Anyway, maybe buying hundreds of pounds of ammunition per week is economical for YOU. Maybe You pay that flat rate because YOU fire 3000 rounds a month. I don't do that. I don't competitively shoot, and would never need to buy hundreds of pounds of ammunition at a time because that's not what I do! And for a firearm that I'd only fire a few times a year(mostly likely only during turkey and maybe deer season) even buying 1 case of ammunition wouldn't be economical for me because I'd get raped on the shipping to the point that if I could find it locally I could probably buy 2 cases for the same price. Now just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And again I didn't call you stupid or was trying to insinuate same.

Oh and BTW - I won't be the one with detached retinas from all those years of competitive (not impressed) shooting either. Good day sir.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Master Pontificator

You never told us whether or not you got your turkey this spring!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You never told us whether or not you got your turkey this spring!
Dang! I almost got one. This gobbler was chasing a hen across the road and if I hadn't braked I'd have been in posetion of a turkey with no license or turkey tag.