BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Rifles/Shotguns

Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Shotshells For Pistols

I have been thinking about loading my wifes 38 that she keeps in the kitchen with the first two rounds being shotshells. The reason for this is lastnight she was up late and a possum ran the cats away from the food bowl that sets on the front porch. I was already in bed asleep and she didn't want to wake me up and I am so glad she didn't open up with the wad cutters I had in it. What do you guy's think I haven't used them much and was curious about the damage they do not so much on the possum but to the things on the porch. Thanks Ken

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I am picking up an inexpensive 38 rossi just to load with shot shotshell mainly for snakes. We have seen a bunch of just hatched snakes this year doing cleanup and I HATE snakes.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
I am picking up an inexpensive 38 rossi just to load with shot shotshell mainly for snakes. We have seen a bunch of just hatched snakes this year doing cleanup and I HATE snakes.
Why kill non-poisonous ones? They will help keep bugs and rodents under control. In our hay shed lives a black snake, and in the vegetable garden is a red rat snake. I have lately seen a gray rat snake around the stable as well.
Now, we will shoot rattlers, we lost our best dog ever to one; and the wife has taken a good size cotton mouth that was laying under her truck as well.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Ken, I suggest you get a pack (they come ten to a pack) of CCI shotshells and give them a try on some inanimate objects like a tin can, or perhaps an orange or grapefruit. The shot does spread out fast, being fired from a rifled barrel. Shooting Norway rats in our feed shed I found the CCI 22 magnum shells to be prety maxed out at about twelve feet. The 22LR shells are almost worthless.
The lady on the next place over used to leave food bowls on her back steps for her cats. One morning, leaving for work before sunrise, I saw two coyotes enjoying her hospitality. I never said a word to her, I'd rather the foxes and coyotes take the easy route and leave our chickens alone.

Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 03-27-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I used to always carry my Security Six with 2 shotshells, then whatever I was gonna use the rest of the day. When I got to Blanco, or wherever I was shooting, I'd swap the shot out for the duration, but then I'd go back to the aforementioned loadout for the walk back.
Never had to shoot a snake with 'em, but I did take out a lizard in the henhouse once. He warn't lookin' to do any harm, I guess, but the hens didn't really want him there.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM

Why kill non-poisonous ones?

SOME like my wife JUST PLAIN HATE ANY SNAKES. I never used to let me be bothered till one trip top Wyo and I was chest deep in saw grass and all I coiuld hear was ZZZZZZZZZZZzzz and my buddies feet hittin the ground as he ran...I had no idea where it/they were ...jumpy NOW.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
Ken, I suggest you get a pack (they come ten to a pack) of CCI shotshells and give them a try on some inanimate objects like a tin can, or perhaps an orange or grapefruit. The shot does spread out fast, being fired from a rifled barrel. Shooting Norway rats in our feed shed I found the CCI 22 magnum shells to be prety maxed out at about twelve feet.
Good advice.....

I have a speedloader of CCI .38 Special shotshells in my glovebox in my truck, if and when I go fishing in any Cottonmouth-infested areas.

My personal experience (your mileage may vary) has been, from about 6 to 8 foot away, those CCI shotshells fired from my S&W 638 snub will make 'em writhe and dance. I never tried to pattern them at varying distances, but like RPD said, they spread out fast from a rifled barrel. Pretty effective up close, though.

DocSoos
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM

I keep CCI shotshells in the mag around snake areas, I have them for my .38/.357, .45acp, and 22 Mag. I'll usually kill poisonous snakes on sight, but I generally leave non-poisonous alone, as they are decent free rodent control.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Ever reload your own 32/38/45 shotshells? It's real easy to do, even easier if you buy the little capsules to hold the shot. Load them real light, trying to get any significant velocity is a waste of powder.

The big investment is buying the #12 shot, and half the cost of that is shipping.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
Ever reload your own 32/38/45 shotshells? It's real easy to do, even easier if you buy the little capsules to hold the shot. Load them real light, trying to get any significant velocity is a waste of powder.

The big investment is buying the #12 shot, and half the cost of that is shipping.
Looking at the .45acp version you really don't need the capsules, just something to cover the end. Though with this style you would have to do a bit more tooling to the shells.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM

The problem with the 45 ACP is that the shot column is so short. Never tried them. For the taller cases, you can make your own over- and under- shot wads with a piece of cardboard. I made a wad cutter by sharpening the inside of an empty case with a jeweler's file, then using my drill press to cut out the little wads. I just use Elmer's Glue to seal the over shot wad in place. But, I suppose you could just as easily use silicon glue or caulk.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM

I found a box of the 38 shotshells (cci) will try to shoot some in the morning if it's not raining will let you guy's know. Ken
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Since we're talking about revolvers, DW should have a couple speed loaders with her whenever she has or wherever it's kept. One or two loaded with shot carts is a good idea.

The comment about the .45 shot string is very well taken. In case none of you have tried, the CCI .45 Colt Shot Cap can be used to load .45 ACP of course for use in revolvers. Whenever I carry a Mdl 25 or variant I alwys have a couple full moon clips loaded with the shot caps. Because of their size, they'll hold about 160 pellets of #8 which I prefer over 12 for the sake of penetration.

They give a real good pattern with that kind of density. I use a real light target load of BULLSEYE with a light taper crimp.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 AM

She keeps it above the dbl oven and that is a good thought to get her a speed loader with some shotshells so she can do a quick change if need be. I load it with wad cutters and the way our house is designed the front door is about 22' from her oven so the wad cutters would put a hurt on the unlucky intruder. Curious to see how the shotshells do at that distance. Ken
Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Master Pontificator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder Ken View Post
She keeps it above the dbl oven and that is a good thought to get her a speed loader with some shotshells so she can do a quick change if need be. I load it with wad cutters and the way our house is designed the front door is about 22' from her oven so the wad cutters would put a hurt on the unlucky intruder. Curious to see how the shotshells do at that distance. Ken
22' is kind of extreme distance for a .38 shot cap, 12' is going to be about the effective extreme, that is why I suggest a speed loader instead of having them mixed in the cylinder. Shot caetridges any further than a contact shot are not going to have much effectiveness on an intruder, the two legged variety.

Remember you'll want at least two speed loaders, one with shot and another with wadcutters or whatever else your preference is for defense work, I say that because you never know when she'd need to immediately switch back from shot to a ball round.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Have never handled or fired one............. But, aren't those "Judge" ? (hope that is the right name) style revolvers capable of firing .410 gauge shot shells, with small shot ?

What little I have read about them, only in advertisements, tells me they are meant to fire 45 Long Colt, I would presume in a mild load. Then they are also capable of digesting the 2 1/2" .410 gauge shot shell loaded with 3 triple 0 buckshot pellets.

Anyone with any experience with this ?

Makes me wonder............ Would something like a Thompson Contender handgun in 45 long colt caliber fire .410 gauge shells ?

Anyone tried it ?

Wyo
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Wyo, main problem is how the chamber of a 45 Colt is cut. They usually have a rim where the case mouth sits, so a .410 shell won't slide in easily. The .410/45 chambers are cut more loosely. Another problem is that the rifling is cut more deeply on a 45-only gun, which will 'spin' the shot from a shotshell. I suppose if you wanted to do a lot of work with a hone inside the chamber and barrel of a 45, you could make it work.

My eldest son has a Taurus Judge and likes it a lot, but I'm not real sure that he's actually sane. <GGG> You can get the bigger model of the Judge that will accommodate the 3" 410 Mag shells. It's a monster.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Master Pontificator

Taurus" next "JUDGE" is going to be full size revolver in 28 Gauge.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Have never handled or fired one............. But, aren't those "Judge" ? (hope that is the right name) style revolvers capable of firing .410 gauge shot shells, with small shot ?

What little I have read about them, only in advertisements, tells me they are meant to fire 45 Long Colt, I would presume in a mild load. Then they are also capable of digesting the 2 1/2" .410 gauge shot shell loaded with 3 triple 0 buckshot pellets.

Anyone with any experience with this ?

Makes me wonder............ Would something like a Thompson Contender handgun in 45 long colt caliber fire .410 gauge shells ?

Anyone tried it ?

Wyo
TC has made several different versions/generations of .45/.410 bbls since the mid 1960's. I'm not so into TC history to tell you if they have chambered a .45 Colt ONLY Barrel, but if so, I've never heard of one and it would be a rarity.

I have a collection of many of the rarest TC bbls such as .25-35, .38 Super KHornet .256 Win Mag, .41 Mag, .45 ACP .218 Bee .30 Carbine .25-20 .32-20 9x23 9mm Win Mag .45 Win mag among many others.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
Taurus" next "JUDGE" is going to be full size revolver in 28 Gauge.
They have run into problems with the Feds on this. It seems to fall under the definition of a short barrel shotgun. The project has been put on hold for the time being. The 45 gets around this by having a rifled barrel and more or less being classified as a regular handgun that can also fire shotgun rounds.