Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Question Anyone else having problems posting?

Or is it just me?

Between yesterday and today I have attempted to post replies in various threads and at least a half dozen times after typing in lengthy posts and I click on "SUBMIT" the text just disappears and no post has been made

if I still want to reply I have to start all over again????

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have not had a problem. But have had it happen before when I hit the wrong button on laptop or try to back up. So started to copy before I summited so if it happened I could paste it back in instead of redoing it all.
Sorry I don't know what the problem is.
sissy
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Is it possible the length of time it took you to type the post exceeded 60 minutes, which is how long the cookie which "remembers" who you are and what you are doing remains active?

If it's not related to your computer, something to do with cookies is all I can think of.

Oliver
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Is it possible the length of time it took you to type the post exceeded 60 minutes, which is how long the cookie which "remembers" who you are and what you are doing remains active?

If it's not related to your computer, something to do with cookies is all I can think of.

Oliver
Took me an hour and a half to type up my post on how my turkey came out. It worked fine for me, so I don't think cookies is the problem. It could perhaps be the browser it's self. A script on the page perhaps and the browser arguing perhaps could cause it, I know the pictures says most of the users use dial up, dial up it's self is very picky, and will refuse to do things sometimes. If it's wireless then perhaps the packet was lost going from the computer to the router, or the router to the mainframe. No trouble posting here, using t1 dsl, on a toshiba satellite and google chrome.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Angry

I'm still having problems with this forum. I'm tired of wasting my time here, I just spent 12 minutes typing a reply with numerous links in answer to someones questions, and I click on submit and off it goes to God only knows where!

I'm tired of wasting my time here so I'm going to take a break. Its been fun, best wishes to all.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Master Pontificator

Don't feel bad.... It's totally not just you.... I had big time problems and almost left too. I'd type something up and it'd go ***poof***. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to computer anything but.... I was so frustrated I asked my son to figure something out fast so I could post and get help with chickens and other things. My kid took a look and said all my MS had updated and that my anti-virus had installed a new version and that things had defaulted when security patches were installed. I pretty much told him I could care less as long as he made it work again. He added that they're using vBulletin software for their forums... I said so what. He said vBulletin uses cookies to move us from page to page and that I had to enable cookies or I should just get off the computer or go back to ListServs. He said Backwoods Home wasn't tracking me and that when I logged off they were nice enough to clear all their cookies... unlike some websites that install tracking software but.... either I enabled cookies when I'm at this website so I can post or I can't post. Something else he told me to do was to always check the "remember me" box" when logging in. He said that would help too. And... he said if I was still worried about losing what I typed that I should click my mouse once anywhere in the little box where I was typing then hold down the Ctrl key then press the a key then hold down the Ctrl key again and press the c key and that would highlight AND save what I was typing.... just in case. Then if I lost it.... I could put my mouse in a new reply box and click it once then hold down the Ctrl key and click the v key and it would put everything I'd typed back for me. I probably didn't explain this too good but I kid you not.... it works. No more wanting to throw the computer through the window for me.
--
Something else he did for me was remove a "free" browser helper tool bar from google that "magically" ended up on my computer somehow that he said definitely wasn't helping me. I guess the Google Chrome has "security" in it too and I'm told it can cause a lot of conflicts with us using our computer the way we want to use them or something like that. My son said I didn't need any toolbars.... they're supposedly way more trouble than they're worth.
--
I don't know how to enable cookies for just one website but it can be done.... my youngest son did it for me. Maybe you've got a kid or a friend who can do it for you>>>?
--
I also don't know how to shut off the cookie blocking in the anti-virus or firewall that they put on this computer but my son also went in there and created an exception for Backwoods Home. Maybe somebody can help you do that too?
--
I took internet classes at the senior center but they've got them at the library too. They're only $10 and they're worth every dime if someone's as bad with computers as me. I'm pretty sure the problem losing what I was typing was on my end.... not theirs and please don't get mad at me gunsmoke but.... I think...not positive.... you might be having the same problems with losing what you're typing that I was having.
--
Here's where the remember me box is that you can check when you're logging in. I underlined it in blue and added an arrow.