BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Hello from Rhode island

I've been lurking for about a year now, and when I stumbled on dehydrated orange segments. I had to join. Been looking to get into canning and dehydrating ever since my aunt janet gave me a jar of what she calls pear in honey. I turned the whole jar into a bbq sauce, and I was hooked.

I usually do a lot of work in the paranormal, so the midnight munchies usual hit and I really dislike spending 5 bucks on dehydrated fruit, like banana chips.

Not got any canning supplies yet, thats next month. So far I've pretty much been doing dehydrating in my oven.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Welcome to the forum! dehydrating and canning give you sooo many new and different things to try you'll kick yourself for not starting sooner! One of my last experiments was dehydrated pickle chips for something new in my trail mix. The kids now stay out of it! Looking forward to reading your posts!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Thank you neparose for the welcome. At the moment I don't really have much experiance in the canning and dehydrating department. Have tried making fruit leather but that turned out fruit crisp and wax paper. Hesitant to put seran wrap in my oven, it's melting point is 220 degrees, my ovens at 200 and I'm almost positive that my industrial sized cookie sheets will retain more then that. I can usually quickly boil tea on them when they come out. Hmm suppose I could share my famous rib recipe though

If you got any questions for me though be more then willing to answer anything.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Smile Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
I've been lurking for about a year now, and when I stumbled on dehydrated orange segments. I had to join. Been looking to get into canning and dehydrating ever since my aunt janet gave me a jar of what she calls pear in honey. I turned the whole jar into a bbq sauce, and I was hooked.

I usually do a lot of work in the paranormal, so the midnight munchies usual hit and I really dislike spending 5 bucks on dehydrated fruit, like banana chips.

Not got any canning supplies yet, thats next month. So far I've pretty much been doing dehydrating in my oven.
Welcome from WA!! I love to can/ jar! I've never had pear honey and would be very interested in how your Aunt made it... And then how you've turned it into a killer BBQ sauce!! Please share when you have some time.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Default Welcome from Nevada

I love to can. Still haven't tried to dehydrate. Picked up a good book though so next step is with both feet.

LoiDreams
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMYBAND View Post
Welcome from WA!! I love to can/ jar! I've never had pear honey and would be very interested in how your Aunt made it... And then how you've turned it into a killer BBQ sauce!! Please share when you have some time.
Well it's a regular pear jelly recipe from the little recipe in the package of pectin...except she used pineapple juice instead of water.

As for the bbq sauce...

1 cup ketchup
1 cup pear honey
1 cup burbon
4 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons flour

mix ketchup, honey, burbon into a sauce pan, and beat with a whisk and let it simmer for 5 minutes, take and mix the water and flour together, to make a slurry and slowly pour the slurry into the burbon mixture to take and thicken it up. Let it go for another 2-3 minutes and it's ready.