Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Wild Hogs

Is anyone having trouble with wild hogs? From what I have read and seen on TV they make it appear that the wild hogs are spreading like wildfire.

I haven't seen any yet where I live in SW Ohio, but I noticed on the DNR website that there are moving into my county and they are encouraging hunters to kill them on site.

Who is experiencing trouble with them and what are you doing about it? Are they tasty?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Down here in Texas wild hogs are a HUGE problem. They are everywhere. I used to hike in my local state park and stopped because the hogs are all over and being it is a state park I could not to anything to stop them if they would charge. They are a "protected species", in the park only. I know plenty of ranchers who hire "hog hunters" that do nothing but hunt hogs for a living. Plenty of work in that field here. The property damage the hogs cause is astronomical. Also, as soon as the female has her piglets she is able to breed again. So, you can imagine how the population is out of control. As far as eating the meat, I have had it and I find it pretty tasty.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the information. I have heard they get out of control easily. Guess they are in the Southeast part of my state and spreading. Just a matter of time since its less that 150 miles.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Wild Boar in NH

We have them in 1 county in NH. They were imported to a fenced in hunting preserve in the 1800's from the Black Forest of Germany. Occasionally they root under the fence and get into gardens. Last summer with the drought the brooks and rivers dried up so the boar could walk right out down the stream beds. There is no open or closed season on them so they can be hunted upon site. Free food.

As for taste, I find them a little bit greasy but good.

Lobo
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wisconsin has 5-6 reported sightings of wild hogs. Mostly near the south border of the state and along the river on the west side.

I don't know of any "reported" sightings in my area. But have seen trail cam pictures of them from this area.

It is kind of confusing. The DNR uses two paragraphs of words to tip toe around the subject. Kind of like, "We don't thing they really exist in the state. But here are the areas residents have reported sightings. So if you do see one, shoot on site" Sounds like some double talk to me. But what can you do ?

The trail cam pictures I saw were of "typical" wild hog features.
If I see one, I'm going to shoot quickly, and often.............

Good luck
Wyo
Old 05-14-2011, 10:56 AM

There was a big mean one killed in south Florida a few years back. Pictures were circulated on the internet. Took a front end loader to move it.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 PM

We have them here in MI too,due to hunting ranches letting them escape.They are considered a nuisance and licensed hunters are encouraged to shoot them on site and report it to the DNR.

Yes,they are tasty.

They've been seen/shot not too far from where I live,although I have yet to see any around here.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Feral swine aren’t a protected species… I think maybe we’re misinterpreting something in print somewhere which…. isn’t hard to do these days. They’re a federally listed invasive species, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...-in-Texas.html. Maybe we can’t discharge a firearm in a Texas state park because there’s concern about families with oodles of little kiddies running around but…. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is actively trapping exotic ferals. Personally…. I’d rank running into feral hogs up there with running into a moose and her calf…. I wouldn’t stand a chance if either decided to do me in so I’d rather have the parks crawling with hunters than feral pigs. The problem in Texas is so bad y’all allegedly have an unlimited hunting season with no bag limit on them. The Aussies have been using sodium nitrite successfully to poison them…. problem with that is going to be PETA folk. Better info on how Texans can add some nice pork to their diet here, http://www.texasboars.com/.
--
redwhiteblue> Supposedly it’s tasty and I’m told really tasty from everyone like leera who’s ever eaten it. I dunno though for sure…. I know I've eaten pork when I’ve been out and about and didn’t know it…. so maybe I've eaten feral hog and didn't know it before>>>? It’s like cat and horse meat…. a staple overseas. If you’re allowed to shoot them on sight in Ohio…. I’d go for it and wouldn’t stop until they went down.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM

LMAO! Now you newbies listen up. If you hunt hogs, get you a gun with a real long barrel, cause you may have to stick it in the ground and climb up on the stock Seriously, a 400 lb. boar with 5 inch tusks can grow a real nasty attitude.

Mitch
Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM

"A 400# bore with 5" tusk can get a real attitude"----- No kidding.....

Even a 150# can make your heart rate go WAY up faster than you may want.
I don't want to tangle with either. No new "reported" sightings in this area. I suspect there have been sightings, just not reported.

Black Bears are a big problem this year in this area. Not much for human encounters. Just sightings in back yards and such. Usual amount of stupidity with bird feeders and such. Real problem has been them knocking down corn. The buggers knock down about 40 times what they eat. Bear hunting season opens soon.

I'm sure there is a "weather line" across the country where feral swine populations will not reach numbers like they do in some areas. Not that they can't survive northern climates, look at the swine in northern Russia. According to the documentaries on such, that is where the most prevalent feral part of the US wild pig genetics came from.

Shoot strait, and quick
Fire up the BBQ
Enjoy (works for either species)
Wyo
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Master Pontificator

We have them here in MO and it open season on them. Fort Leonard Wood Military Base has a lot of them in the woods around the base. We swim and fish some on the Piney river down there and often see tracks as we walk down to the river. They taste like pork!