BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Problems with ethanol spiked gasoline

I heard from some mechanics that ethanol is causing problems in carbeurator engines. How much longer will it take before it screws up fuel injector engines? I`m looking for a source of non ethanol gas, or an additive that will take care of the problem. I already had some problems with gas stored over the winter, in my Bush Hog recently. The dealer, along with an engineer I ran into, said it was the ethenol (grain alcohol) sucking up water. Apparently, plastic gas cans are quite inadaquate in storing gas for long periods.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Smile

I run a 1948 Ford 8 n. YOU may have to richen the mixture a half turn but other than that no problems at all. In case of my 1948 Ford it was made to run on 70 0ctane so the E10 @ 85 is just fine.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

I recently purchased a new lawn mower and asked the mower guy what kind of problems they were seeing from ethanol blends of gasoline. He said that the blend tends to separate (gasoline, water, ethanol) after sitting undisturbed for some time and that along with causing problems with the engines, it also causes problems with plastic gas cans. I am now in the habit of agitating my gasoline regularly and especially before pouring it into a gas tank.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

I had been using Stabil in my gas for homestuff but ran across this when I searched for stabil +ethanol. Look at the sparrowhawk post about fifth down from top.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309821
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Ethanol in gasoline sucks and it is just another fleecing of consumers/taxpayers. Not only does it cause mechanical issues such as those mentioned above, it provides fewer miles per gallon in vehicles, diminishes our food supply (while inflating prices) and garners subsidies from taxpayers.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy-Hermit View Post
Ethanol in gasoline sucks and it is just another fleecing of consumers/taxpayers. Not only does it cause mechanical issues such as those mentioned above, it provides fewer miles per gallon in vehicles, diminishes our food supply (while inflating prices) and garners subsidies from taxpayers.
What else do you expect from those self induldgent idiots that continually get themselves reelected. As I've said before: They are not interested in the United Statesof America. just what they can get of someone else's money for their State to get reelected.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 PM

read this in the break room at work...

http://www.propickupmag.com/shoptalk/
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
read this in the break room at work...

http://www.propickupmag.com/shoptalk/
I think you just substanciated what a number of us laymen have been saying in this thread. The consumer is getting **** and we aren't even getting kissed.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM

I use Marine Formula Sta-Bil in all gasoline engines. No ethanol related corrosion problems, using 1 ounce to 5 gallons fuel in small engines, 1 ounce to 10 gallons fuel in passenger vehicles. Small engines are all carburetor equipped, passenger vehicles are fuel injected. Sta-Bil is purchased at local "Mart" or favorite auto store.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Master Pontificator

I learned from a tractor mechanic that the gel that forms is a result of bacteria that breeds in the water/alcohol. I may have misread what was said but, I remember the bacteria bit.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM

We have a gas station right up the road from home that sells gas with 0% ethanol. Found out that any gas station can order there gas with or without the ethanol. It comes back to money. they are charged more if they leave the ethanol out, but the local station is only 8 cents more than the one across the road from it. Our cars run much better with the straight gas.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeMsSon View Post
We have a gas station right up the road from home that sells gas with 0% ethanol. Found out that any gas station can order there gas with or without the ethanol. It comes back to money. they are charged more if they leave the ethanol out, but the local station is only 8 cents more than the one across the road from it. Our cars run much better with the straight gas.
I`ll have to look into that, thanks

Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM

In Florida it's state law for all gas station gasoline to be 10%. This caused fiberglas fuel tanks in boats to melt and damage engines to the point that boat marinas are authorized to sell non-ethanol gasoline. But it costs an arm and a leg, about double the price.
I imagine avaition gas would not have ethanol to avoid fuel freezing at altitude, but I'm not sure.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I have two lawn mowers , an atv , and a dirt bike in my shop that I'm working on , all non starting related !

I've never seen half of the crap that I have cleaned out of these things ,
between the carbs and the gas tanks it's rediculous !
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM

DH has 40 years experience working on all kinds of vehicles/equipment. Used to be ASE Master and Ford Diesel Certified. We put NO ethanol in anything. Really messes things up. Lots of farmers trying to irrigate corn on land that should be pasture in a (usually) arid climate here. Waste of water, poor use of land and lots of subsidies. The original Ford vehicles did run on it - and were changed to gasoline. There is a reason for that, but we fail to review/remember our history........
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM

I have heard this product is better for fuel than stabil.

PRIG-G or Prig-D

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/PRI...sel_PRI-D.aspx
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
In Florida it's state law for all gas station gasoline to be 10%. This caused fiberglas fuel tanks in boats to melt and damage engines to the point that boat marinas are authorized to sell non-ethanol gasoline. But it costs an arm and a leg, about double the price.
I imagine avaition gas would not have ethanol to avoid fuel freezing at altitude, but I'm not sure.
Av gas is ethanol free and will keep for years if properly stored.

100LL is only about $1/gal more than pump premium.

Everybody should have a 55-gal metal drum in case SHTF.

P.S. it has lead so will toast catalytic converters
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM

The one place I have found ethanol gas to be a problem is in mixed fuel for a couple old outboards. Have a mid 1960s Johnson 9.5 and a mid 1980s Evinrude 25.

Both motors will run fine on ethanol fuel, but it will condense a red sludge like something in the fuel line between the tank and motor when it sits for a week or so. No problem with no ethanol fuel. They both run like a champ with the first pull of the rope. I have always used Wal-Mart blue 2 stroke oil.

Everything else runs fine.

Good luck
Wyo
Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
Av gas is ethanol free and will keep for years if properly stored. 100LL is only about $1/gal more than pump premium.

Not quite double here... About $5.80-$6 a gallon 100LL. Same price for local Unleaded Racing Gasoline, $6/gallon. Both will last 10x longer than pump gas.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM

The guy we bought our chainsaw from has a jar of gasoline standing on his counter to show how the gas and ethanol separate. He said most of the repairs he had last year were due to gummed up motors. He repairs small engines. Our chainsaw had to be worked on for the same reason. we now make sure we run it til all the fuel is used up. We also use an additive. The whole thing is an annoyance. But I guess it will save the planet....right?