BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

We can buy ethanol free gas at a convenience store. It is about $.30/gallon higher. There used to be two stores but one has gone (and highly advertises) to gas with ethanol added.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
We can buy ethanol free gas at a convenience store. It is about $.30/gallon higher. There used to be two stores but one has gone (and highly advertises) to gas with ethanol added.
I know its hard on my fuel injection system and will cause cat-converters to go bad faster.

I was advised by the GMC dealership head honcho not to put a certain brand gas in my truck.

Replace twin-cat-converters and fuel pump at a low mileage because of this stupid idea of corn-fuel.

I think what I see at pumps is 10% ethanol?
I wondered if there was ethanol free gas anywhere.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM

When I was in MI, I saw one handle that appeared to be straight E85. There was some muttering about "not putting that **** in my car..." before I figured which handle was still mostly gas.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 PM

Wrong. On the one hand, theproblems caused by etoh in gas are greatly overstated- you get sludge and moisture condensation problems with any fuel left standing for long periods.

OTOH- 10℅ etoh gives you, by coincidence, 10℅ lower mileage. So, if you do the arithmetic, you save only one gal of gasoline for every 100 burned. That means if our petroleum supply only has a 100 yr lifetime left if etoh is not used, then it will last 101 yrs if the whole world used 10℅ etoh mix. BFD.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Wrong. On the one hand, theproblems caused by etoh in gas are greatly overstated- you get sludge and moisture condensation problems with any fuel left standing for long periods.

OTOH- 10℅ etoh gives you, by coincidence, 10℅ lower mileage. So, if you do the arithmetic, you save only one gal of gasoline for every 100 burned. That means if our petroleum supply only has a 100 yr lifetime left if etoh is not used, then it will last 101 yrs if the whole world used 10℅ etoh mix. BFD.
doc
My problem was the strenchers put in gas/ethanol/water and diesel.
That was proven.
Conoco was one of the prime offenders--they paid for engines/injector systems and fuel pumps to be replaced.
I have the paper work to prove it.

My truck didnt sit still much--I worked and drove alot.

I have never understood the brain-deadness of ethanol anyway.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM

You can go on the internet and put in something like "where can I buy ethanal free gas" and you will get several websites such as this one:

http://buyrealgas.com/

You can get even more specific and put in the state where you live and the internet will get some more specific choices for you. I spend about 30 cents more a gallon, where I live, to get gas for my mower and weedeater.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up Ethanol free gasoline

Good William.
You can't have this discussion without a link to Ethanol free gasoline.

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM

i wished there was a like button on here. there are several good posts here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
doc
My problem was the strenchers put in gas/ethanol/water and diesel.
That was proven.
Conoco was one of the prime offenders--they paid for engines/injector systems and fuel pumps to be replaced.
I have the paper work to prove it.

My truck didnt sit still much--I worked and drove alot.

I have never understood the brain-deadness of ethanol anyway.
there are people better then me that can answer this . but here goes. a few years ago there was a craze for renewable fuels. someone said we could grow our fuel with renewable resources. some thought this a good idea. how could we do it? lets add some to the gasoline so that people would use it. this is known as unintended consequences
one is engines that run on gas don't do so well with alcohol. maybe if the engines ran only on alcohol it would do better. just doesn't have the same umph
secondly they made it from corn something from our food supply, instead of like seaweed or grasses . this made the growers happy because it made the prices go up. unfortunately the food prices went up. it costs more now to feed livestock.

unfortunately there is so much money (and ignorance) behind this, it is hard to see an end

i do like bio-diesel but i don't know if there is enough to make it viable