BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default If you could do any kind of work, what would it be

Assuming some kind of work could make you happy: consider it. (Those who want to be king or queen of the world with a thousand servants or a magic genie need not respond!)

Certification, education, & licenses aside, if you could have any job, one where you'd wake up every morning, eager to start the day and excited about what you are doing for a living, what would that perfect job be?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Default Re: If you could do any kind of work, what would i

Great question!

1. Veterinarian - a country vet.
2. Something with plants and gardens.
3. Running a BIG excavator!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 AM

A writer, or painter.
Homesteading crafts- creating soaps, jams, jellies, wooden items, growing herbs, etc.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM

Energy policy administrater and homestead granter-Kevin
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
chloe3388

Historian the study of ancient civilizations, LOL I think more like them than people now days..

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM

My top 3
1. Herbologist
2. *Ethnobotanist
3. *Horticulturist
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM

I went a little farther with that thought and bought my own buisness.I bought a food service trailer that is the food service provider for 2 auction services.They do 70 to 100 auctions a year and so far i average between $500 and $600 per auction which means I realize a profit of $400 to $500 per auction.The previous owners opened a resteraunt and were friends of mine and thought I might be interested ,boy was I ever,my 2 favorite pastimes cooking and auctions!!!!!I have done well enough to now open a permenant stand in my small town to be open spring summer and fall,hopefuly this to will do well .And you know it isnt that expensive to do this .I have about$ 18,000 total in both stands and it could be done cheaper.Granted I did buy an established buissness ,but I think this would work anywhere and would be easy to start.Not much over head if your resourceful .Prior to this I worked in law enforcement for several years ,the longer I did this the unhappier I was till finaly my wife and I decided that enough was enough and as of jan 30 I quit (I was making a whole$ 9.00 an hour) Then here came the stand and everything just keeps falling into place and I completely thank GOD for this!!!Dont kid yourself ,this is a lot of work but its my work not someone elses and I reap the rewards of time with my wife and kids and positive healthy feelings and a good income and maybe a little pride in myself.Anyone have any questions please let me know I would be happy to give you any advise I can ( and no I am not selling anything or my advice,I am just tired of seeing families like mine work hard and get slapped to the ground all the time) Thanks for listening
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Reedb66,
What a fantastic post! You're not just thinking about what could be, you're DOING it! ;D

Way cool!

Thanks for offering to share info, too - and this does look like an unusual business that could work almost anywhere.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Animal control officer in south africa. Sweet!!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Shotgun sports instructor
Run a Timber Frame / Alternative energy "how to" School
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Carrolann Thanks and I think it is a job anyone could do and it is sure fun !!! We are set up where we can also bid on things in the auction so it is a shopping trip too,and I am sure that things can be done cheaper with just as good of results,also the economy doesnt seem to affect sales, people are still hungry and lots of people come to auctions just for the food and social time .Another buisness to check out would be auctioneering as the service we work with is so busy it is unreal .They do consighnment sales 2 times a month and charge 10% on cars and machinery and 20% on the rest .The sale i was at sat must of brought $30,000 then they had another on sunday that was a grocery store /resteraunt that was bought out by another store so was totally liquidated must of brought 100,000 plus the sale of the building for 30,000.This sale would be 5% on the building and 20% on the rest,Granted this auctioneer has been in buisness for 30 years but still do the math!!Good money for about a weeks work with set up and everything that goes with having an auction ,and there are schools that teach you all about auctioneering .Might be worth looking into.

Thanks for listening
Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM

couldnt you also set up at like, football games, baseball games, hockey games etc??
One thing i always missed at our local livestock jr fair was a place to eat...oh sure you had the kids selling pop out of a cooler and cold sandwiches and chips..but a bowl full of chilli or something hot would have been really welcome!
Also construction worksites. Its very common to have a food truck come around right at noon. they made a killing.
They also stopped by the business i worked at. There is unlimited potential for a mobil food truck!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM

*I consider myself very fortunate. I am doing exactly what I have always desired to do. I grow stuff, anything that will grow. I breed animals to their standard of perfection and I play with their genetics. The irony is if I was fully sighted I probably would be stuck in some job I hated just for the paycheck?/
*My middle bro alweays wanted to play with trucks as a kid, he had his own since he was 20, little bro runs to work every day, he operates dozers and track hoes and thinks he is in heaven. *i feel bad for all those stuck at doing something they dont enjoy. *MY dad spent 6 years in college to be farmer and farmed 2 years then was a sales engineer for the rest of his life and loved it.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfowl
*I consider myself very fortunate. I am doing exactly what I have always desired to do. I grow stuff, anything that will grow. I breed animals to their standard of perfection and I play with their genetics. The irony is if I was fully sighted I probably would be stuck in some job I hated just for the paycheck?/
*My middle bro alweays wanted to play with trucks as a kid, he had his own since he was 20, little bro runs to work every day, he operates dozers and track hoes and thinks he is in heaven. *i feel bad for all those stuck at doing something they dont enjoy. *MY dad spent 6 years in college to be farmer and farmed 2 years then was a sales engineer for the rest of his life and loved it.
A prime example of one door closing and another opening! Good for you!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM

If I had stayed in college, I would have been a veterinarian or a coroner.
Instead, has a passel of kids and have just about every other job out there...
Never regretted it, though!

The question is not "Who is going to let me?"
It is "Who is going to stop me?"
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM

I've been fortunate and lived a good life with a lot of variety, including living in foreign countries, surviving the Vietnam Conflict, and building one of the first personal computers in the 70's.

I'm now a senior living on just SS, but what I would have preferred is a "retirement" with a sustainable income without the stress I have today.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Harvester
Fairs are suppose to be one of the big payoffs,the previos owners stated that they would make over $1,000 per day profit with most small fairs lasting 4 or 5 days.So far the figures they gave me have proved to be accurate so I will be hitting all the fairs possible when not at an auction.
thanks for listening
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM

#1 running my own second hand ( quality ) store
#2 Doing what I'm doing now , DD Adult job coach but I would want my own warehouse , be the boss , and not be subject to the stupid state and county regs.
#3 a machinest
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Master Pontificator

I would like to be an RN/LVN and work only 3 consecutive nights a week doing graveyard shifts.

If i was debt free, I would like to work on my homestead and try to profit something from it for taxes, gas etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 AM

I would like to be some sort of a consultant that goes to these businesses and tell them how they could reduce cost.. especially by saving energy or reducing disposal fees. Any sort of cost take out. I like doing that kind of stuff. I have had a couple of small businesses, and it can be a challenge to find ways to cut cost. BTW, I do have my auctioneering license. I like them too ;D