BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: If you could do any kind of work, what would i

1. Own/run a nursery/gardening center
2. Own/run a bed & breakfast
3. Nothing- let someone else pay the bills for once!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

1. A Cow Vet....I grew up close to cows and love cows....I would love to do cow vet work like my Great-Grandfather did.
2. I'm a foodie...my Mom is a chef.....i'd love to do chef work in some 'professional' capacity.
3. A Pro Bono Attorney....helping those who innocently need a strong defense but could never possibly pay for it. I hate injustice!

~Martin
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM

I estimate within 1 to 2 years I will be a full-time beekeeper/honey producer. Eventually to be combined with a small farm (30 acres) producing row crops, with a small vineyard (muscadines) and fruit orchard.

Must sell my home first before I can do the farming thing. I've been actively working on the beekeeping portion of my new career and I am now in my 4th year.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM

Really pretty happy doing what I am doing.. managing construction for an airport expansion .BUT.....
when I go to the next job I would want to be the "sawman" at a weekend flea market. I would get old handsaws.. clean 'em up and sharpen them by hand.. set up at the market , play blue grass or willy and waylon off the xm. radio. maybe I would sell a saw and maybe I would'nt; won't matter much.

If I can't do that...then I would hitch a ride in the wayback machine and be a cowboy n the 1880's-
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

I enjoy what I do now....... own a construction equipment repair and rental business with some coal mning on the side.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:02 AM

A WELL liked, and therefore well paid, Artist.
I would work on my own schedule therefore leaving me plenty of time to raise my kids and plant my garden and can my foods etc....

Right now I've got everything Except the time to do the work and the getting paid for it. :
Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Inactive Member

I'm doing it now!!!! Firefighter.

If I couldn't be a firefighter anymore I would probably be a blacksmith. Decorative stuff, some farrier work, but mostly I would like to do historical recreations and cutlerly.

Will
Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM

1. Something near the ocean
2. Something with zoo animals
3. Midwifery
Old 06-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
3. Midwifery
I Love that idea. And I think beekeeper's business is awesome too. Both are so unique.

I would like to do something more secluded and quiet--
1. own a book store
2. be self-sufficient by raising and selling eggs, livestock, pets, quilts
3. publish and sell enough homeschool curriculum to make it profitable
4. do typing and editing for others from my home
Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Inactive Member

...I'd be a wildlife rehabber and have my own facility out here.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 PM

We own and operate a small farm now (180 acres of our own + some rented ground too) its a cow/calf operation. But I would really love to branch out and put a small pole barn down by the road and open a small farmers market. I would start out selling fresh fruits and veggies, and maybe some firewood, manure, hay and straw bales.

Later I would love to expand and offer my own canned jams, jellies, fruits, veggies, and meats.

Since were dreaming here I would love to corner the organic market and offer grass fed beef, already cut and frozen. People could just come in a buy the cut of meat they want directly out of the deep freeze. Would also like to put some sort of butchershop on back of the farmers market building and do custom butchering etc. I would also like to get a machine and offer chicken plucking/dressing/butchering services as well.

I would also like to be able to offer fresh eggs, and raw milk, both cows and goats for people who want that type of thing. With everything being all natural, and organic-no antibiotics, horomones, steriods etc.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:47 PM

Default lottery

i would really enjoy spending the winning lottery ticket winnings, guess i need to buy a ticket.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Master Pontificator

Having my own farm animal sanctuary and caring for the animals. That's something I just don't get tired of and love doing! They just really appreciate everything you do for them.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Be "sher's" best friend, after she buys that ticket! lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Inactive Member

Doing what I'm doing. It's a cow/calf operation. I enjoy not answering to a "boss", working on my own schedule. Like Mom5farmboys stated, I had planned to do a grass-fed beef operation as well. But, the difference is that I was going to also deliver and/or ship my meats. I still plan to do it someday. All my cattle, produce, etc are organic even if they aren't certified.. hmm.. I guess that means they are just "all natural", huh? I also have a couple websites and just started to write articles online to give that a try as well.

I have enjoyed the last 2+ years being home.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
I also have a couple websites and just started to write articles online to give that a try as well.
I just wrote my first article to send off to a magazine! I'm really excited about it. I have a few things I want to touch up on it before submitting it. Mine's a fiction story. What are your articles about? I hadn't really thought of writing articles for online. I was thinking magazines and greeting cards.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Inactive Member

Daff, there are a gazillion outlets for writing. These are how-to articles that another member here got me interested in. But, I have a novel in progress that a NY critic friend of mine wants me to finish, if I get off my lazy butt.. (as he puts it.) I'm not in a hurry to finish a novel. I like my life the way it is. Up until the articles, most of what I write is for my own benefit and my own outlet if that makes sense.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Can you see it?

I just had this realization of my own actually, currently I am an insurance agent, sweet right? No. It's the job that gives me the paycheck to pay my bills each month. A coworker recently said to me, "don't you feel like you are wasting your life and creative energy doing something you donít enjoy?Ē I had an awesome dream that night, and so I AM going to do something about it.
My dream job is to be an Executive Chef and owner of an eco style inn, on a large tract, with a small working farm.
Cook and serve what we grow or bring the rest in locally, a fantastic dining room and lounge, gorgeous rooms upstairs with a view of I donít care what, a greenhouse and barns set way back, a bench at pond to watch the ducks and a dock to row out from and toss out the line, bordered lovely walking or riding trails all around. Hell I will dig a ditch just to have a covered bridge, and to top it all off a few peacocks.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 AM

Yes,ktlove, I can see it! Very nice description there!

As for me, I always wanted to be like a "party planner". Not the upscale hooty tooty ones in LA or NY, but do children's birthdays, family reunions, other special events. I wanted to have a large building where I could leave an area all decorated for a wedding, changing out colors as needed, have the dress and tux there in many different sizes, and only charge a few hundred so everyone could have a nice wedding if they wanted to without the tens of thousands of dollars people sometimes spend. And in this building I also wanted an area for families after a loved one has passed, everything set up for them, a nice quiet place to remember that person, eat.
I'd make the outside very peaceful and beautiful like a secret garden sort of feel, very nice for every occasion that needed celebrating! That's just me, trying to find a way to keep the simple enjoyable parts of life alive.
But I don't see that business getting started with limited funds.... so.............
Here on the farm I would like to open a small "pumpkin patch" in the near future, decorate it really cute for families to enjoy, raise lots of different animals, expand my garden area, and just learn from experiences.... this one sounds a little more realistic.
Oh and I hope to have a "fall festival" here on the farm in the next couple of years, IF things don't get so bad that thoughts like that just aren't going to happen.
I will have all my "preps" hidden so no one can see them when they come to my land.
Just me dreaming.....
Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Be a stay at home mom.

Given the opportunity to do it all over again I would have had more children, never worked outside the home, and always home schooled.
That's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Now, they are grown up, and there are no 'do over' buttons on life.
So I guess I will have to set new goals for the second half of my existence!!

Laura