BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

This is going sound pretty silly to most of you b/c it sounds like there aren't many office environment employees here.

But my favorite jobs have always had a few things in common: a) being outside b) somewhat physically demanding & c) the end result is known and obvious d) doesn't require a dum dum boss looking over your shoulder at all time e) once the day is over so is thought of work.

I guess I just miss those things as I go to my office job each day. If I didn't have student loans I think I would be doing things differently (still hacking away @ those).

Wish I had some of the skills/knowledge you have as well but I've always had to learn from watching & listening to others + doing the work. In other words, books don't always do it for me. Free labor offer to all you highly skilled people
Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Default You Mean I Get Paid For This?

Robert Frost wrote that his goal was to unite his vocation and avocation, as two eyes make one in sight. To me, that means working at something that's so much fun you say, "Gee, you mean I'm actually getting PAID to do this?!"

That's where I'm at right now. Took a lifetime to get here, but as long as I've got my trusty laptop, I'm golden.

Design and edit books in the porch swing overlooking the lake? I'm doin' it. Communicate with clients with my feet up in front of the fireplace? I'm doin' it. Take a day or a week or a month off if I feel like it? I'm doin' it.

My British-born mum has a saying for where I'm at right now: "Bob's yer uncle." And while I'm at it, let me add my Gratitude, Gratitude, Gratitude.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Master Pontificator

Currently I am working in an office. If I could support my family on it I would want to have a small farm/homestead and sell produce at farmers markets. I would also be a master wood turner/ wood worker. I love building things.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoneRider View Post
Currently I am working in an office. If I could support my family on it I would want to have a small farm/homestead and sell produce at farmers markets. I would also be a master wood turner/ wood worker. I love building things.
Hey, go for it! There's no reason you can't start working toward it.... and YES, a homestead can support a family with no outside job. But you have to start planning for it and working toward it.... don't just dream, live it.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM

oooo....a book store as mentioned previously.....i'd love that, especially if it sold magazines as well....that would be heaven!.

i'd love a cattery......and as i've been reading this thread i had the small realisation that i could homestead with a cattery business on the side.....something to ponder about!.

growing up, i wanted to design houses....but was never brainy enough to get into uni!.

and to the person who said her life was 'bobs your uncle'......thats sounds the perfect description!!....lucky you!.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM

kiwirach, what's a cattery?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Inactive Member

According to Wikipedia there are two types of cattery. There is a breeding cattery or a boarding cattery. Lee, a place for cats.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Sorry, i didnt realise cattery wasnt a common term in the US. its as PaulNKS says.....a place for cats. most commonly a boarding facility if you cant find anyone to look after your cats while you're away.
they are common in New Zealand where i'm from.

theres also kennels for dogs, and alot of businesses combine the two.

i love cats, and they seem to love me so an idea job for me really!!.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM

[Guess I've only ever used a doggery then. ;-)

Last time we left BlackDog at a facility where the young handlers wore t-shirts titled "Camp Counselor" and we were given a "report card" on his stay. If we'd wanted to, we could have checked on him via webcam. I guess it's a dog's life.]

kiwirach, it's exciting to see your enthusiasm. You're going to make it work, that ideal life you envision. We're rooting for you.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Default Wait a minute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post

1. own a book store
2. be self-sufficient by raising and selling eggs, livestock, pets, quilts
3. publish and sell enough homeschool curriculum to make it profitable
4. do typing and editing for others from my home
I often read the posts before seeing who wrote them. As I read down your list, I had to look up and see if my wife wrote this. Not this time.

I'm not the most observant guy, but I think I would have noticed the three extra kids.

Your list looks like a lot of fun to us as well.

Good on ya!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Ray-- your wife and I think alike. That's probably why we are both drawn to this type of message boards. I prefer to be making money from home.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM

I'd love to operate an air taxi/light cargo airplane out of Hardyville.

...or someplace similar.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, this sounds like a challenge!

1) Be a writer.
2) Operate a small farm where I would sell eggs, vegetables, fruit from my orchard.
3) Operate a small shrimp/lobster business and live by the sea. I'd still have my garden as well though, lol
Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
Hey, go for it! There's no reason you can't start working toward it.... and YES, a homestead can support a family with no outside job. But you have to start planning for it and working toward it.... don't just dream, live it.
Paul,
Thanks for the encouragement. We have been working at becoming more self sufficient, and planning different ways to grow vegetables around the property. We will see what happens. I have been working with wood for years and am turning different things to try to sell as well. I am working to pay of the property, once that is done we will either expand crop area on this one to sell at farmers markets or sell this one and use money that we have saved to buy a new piece of property with bigger a areas for crops
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I'd like to have a book/magazine store with a tea/coffee room in it. I prefer tea over coffee but I know that coffee usually sells better. I'd even provide free wi-fi but put a one hour limit on it so there would be a better turnover of patrons. I hate to go in Barnes & Noble's coffee shop and not be able to find someplace to sit down with my drink.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Master Pontificator

What I am doing right now..... working on a farm and turning the money around and investing in my own little farm. Works for me.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Passed On

Thumbs up Sorta Retired

I'm drawing SS, but still have a home shop business where I repair farm and garden equipment, make parts for antique cars and obsolete sawmills, and whatever else comes in the door. Never a dull moment here!

This has to be my ideal job. I have time for gardening and working on our place, still make a few bucks, and do it my way. That is a REAL refreshing deal after 30+ years of engineering in the auto industry! There, I was the one in the middle between knowledgeable workers and nincompoop managers--a thankless task in a declining idustry.

Now, I am friends with all my customers and truly enjoy each day. And they PAY ME to do this!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm one of the lucky ones, or I guess I should say blessed. My three great passions in life are the outdoors, animals and handcrafts.

We live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth - the mountains of Southern Utah.

I make my living as a quilter, custom seamstress and designer.

My husband works for the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the country and I often hang out & participate with that.

I thank God every day for all of the above.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM

I foster kittens for our local SPCA. They supply me with everything I could possibly need for the job except a paycheck!lol! If I got paid for doing it, it would be my dream job.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neparose View Post
I foster kittens for our local SPCA. They supply me with everything I could possibly need for the job except a paycheck!lol! If I got paid for doing it, it would be my dream job.
If you ever decide to relocate, sounds like you would LOVE working for Best Friends Animal Society, where my husband works. They pay well (for the area), excellent benefits, 401k matching funds and vet care for your own furbabies at cost.