BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM

LJH, you have no idea what a tease that is! We always talk about moving out west! Maybe someday, but right now the kids and Pop need us too much. I cant believe you CAN get paid to raise them. Right now I have 6 babies and momma. When you tell some people you rescue kittens, they look at you like you just said you rescue cockroachs!lol!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvester View Post
Animal control officer in south africa. Sweet!!
I like that one!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Default What we're doing

We're in the process of buying the only bakery in our small town. We're in wheat country, so all our inputs are available. Going to convert it to running on sourdoughs and natural yeasts, and put in a wood oven. When things go bad, we'll be able to feed ourselves and our community.

Husband and I both have MBAs and used to live in Asia as expats, now we're in small town Alberta and hope to take posession of the bakery in a few weeks. Fingers crossed. Then we have to learn how to bake!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't see much of a point in dwelling on things that could have been. I've made a lot of choices in my life and not all of them were in my own best interests, or in anyone else's for that matter. I can't change any of that, or go back and start over, so there's no point in considering it.

I have been fortunate in that, mostly, I've done things that interested me so, while I may not have accomplished much in my lifetime by some standards, I'm satisfied with it.

I'd rather look as what's right in front of me, and what might still be possible.

Last edited by kfander; 10-04-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

I was a SAHM and homeschooled our three children. I wouldn't trade that for anything but now..I would like to be a..

1. writer who is actually writing and selling books

2. nutritionist/lifestyle counselor to help people with heart disease and diabetes learn how to reverse their diseases; teach them how to cook, eat and live healthy. I have half of a nutrition degree and no money. Now at 57 I'm not sure I want to go to school that long. But I wish I HAD.

3. physical therapist who can take older folks who think their weakness is due to aging and show them what exercise can do for them
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM

If I could do anything it would be a small farmer.Im a auto tech now and hate my job,worked on farms for a long time and loved it.Hope to do it soon!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM

While I do enjoy my job now, as I work for a really small company, I could think of a few things I would rather do. I really think I would like to run a brewery. Make my own beer to sell, and run the farming operations to feed it. Not out of the question someday, and I already have a good bit of experience basically running my current employer's business, so I am used to the stress.

Right now though, I am on to more realistic terms. I want to work for my self so that when I think about work all day, stay stressed, and have work dreams, at least they will be going to my own benefit. To achieve this goal I am starting my own computer repair and service business. Not something I love doing, but I don't hate it and it pays great when you don't have additional overhead. I am also getting back in to making records for people/ recording bands, as I used to do it and do enjoy it, but it is only a side thing. Not enough cash in that to support the family.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Farm full time, with only the most basic of cell phones in my pocket for emergencies and a monthly trip to town for feed and supplies... I will get there someday, but for now I am still a slave to the blackberry, laptop and the paycheck.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM

Years ago, I had one of the best jobs in the world with a major farm implement manufacturer as a "field service rep". An opportunity to learn how all farm machinery worked and help people keep it running. This was before cell phones and computers. Your office contacted you by leaving messages for you to call in when you arrived at your scheduled destinatition, which you had submitted, or the next place you were going to be. Your coustomers and retailers became your friends. If you needed an afternoon off, they would tell any one who called you had gone to "the field". All you had to do was leave town, stop, walk acrooss the ditch and over the fence into the field. No one had to tell any untruths. Today, cell phones, computers and GPS leave no antonmity. That's progress for you but we still all ate well.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 PM

I'd like to be an artist. As soon as things settle down a bit here, I plan to start working at doing just that. My last 2 kids are 17, have finished their homeschooling, have their GEDs, and are in vocational training, so now I have time to do what I want.

I also plan on keeping up with developing recipes, running my forum, and writing a cookbook.

No empty nest syndrome here!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 AM

i know what "J R A" above means. i work as a service tech. for a major food equipment co.. use to be a great job until we were taken over by a Big corp. that believes in just making as much money a poss.. use to be great without cell phones or computers. had to call in by phone booth. we just got computers in january. everythings email this and that, look up parts. do i like it? not anymore. its a pain to go to work.
i should have stayed working in a hospital, but i thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.
the job i really loved was working with my dad whom had his own company in the construction field. the reason i left was different views on how to run the company.
worst mistake i ever made. i was young and stupid. so.....guess i got to work for a money hungery corp. to pay my bills.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

constant student....

Live like you'll die tomorrow....learn like you'll live forever......
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM

here goes...

I'd farm, full time.

I'm hoping that my future livestock operation (which is what i'm working towards) will be more successful with a homesteaders mind-frame.

i have my beliefs in homesteading and growing ones own food...not expanding at the cost of cutting corners simply to increase profit margins.

the canadian government has TONS of bursaries and cost-share programs offered to new farmers, especially ones such as myself whom aren't inheriting land and have to buy. I believe in working hard and having a large downpayment and not accepting loans for unnecessary equipment. slow and steady learning as we go, and keeping day jobs as we acquire a large enough flock to put a dent in the domestic demand for annual lamb.

that's my dream. I should be a bit closer in 2 (2.5) years and start looking for property.

I know full well I won't make $$ right away, but if i break even with outputs and gain a small but loyal customer base...i'd say that's a mighty fine place to start counting blessings. I think my strongest assets are a realistic sense of what i'm getting into, an in depth understanding of the market i'm entering and an internal passion that's been in me since as long as i can remember.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm a gearhead, but I work in IT (computers, networking, etc.)

I would love to either build hot rods or restore classic cars for a living in my own little shop in the hills.

I have an unusual eye for detail (it's often a curse) and I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

But in the meantime, I'm hoping I can buy some broken newer cars, fix them up and sell them at a modest profit to get started as a little side business.

Actually, my real dream is to build some cars of my own design, but the hurdles are pretty high thanks to Big Brother. I might end up building a few some day under the radar.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
now..I would like to be a..

2. nutritionist/lifestyle counselor to help people with heart disease and diabetes learn how to reverse their diseases; teach them how to cook, eat and live healthy. I have half of a nutrition degree and no money.

3. physical therapist who can take older folks who think their weakness is due to aging and show them what exercise can do for them
There are people who do massages in a home type business more like a spa than physical therapist. They also counsel on nutrition and supplements. It would be a wonderful life selling essential oils, doing massages, selling supplements, testing blood if you get the degree for it....... It isn't hard, doesn't take long, and you could do what you want within a year or so. I mean something simple like the jade rollers used for facials with some simple facial massage would make you money if you enjoy that type of work.
Personally.... In all honesty, I would feel uncomfortable having a lot of strange people in my home because of all the germs they would carry in. I just don't like inviting a lot of strange germs into the home. I know that sounds weird, but it is something I get concerned about. I don't understand how anyone can run a business in their home that brings a lot of people in to carry germs into their environment. I just couldn't do it.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM

I would love to be a librarian and work in a private library somewhere.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
2. nutritionist/lifestyle counselor to help people with heart disease and diabetes learn how to reverse their diseases; teach them how to cook, eat and live healthy. I have half of a nutrition degree and no money. Now at 57 I'm not sure I want to go to school that long. But I wish I HAD.

that's what my sister does,
She's a registered physiotherapist and kinesiologist. during her studies they did a section on nutrition, which she loved. she's now finished her nutritionist degree and going for registered dietitian. she's in her 7th year of university.
holy cow that's a lot of school! For the past 6 years, she's worked summer and holidays as a hostess on the trains, which you have to speak french for. she'll graduate 8 years of uni without any bebt. I'm proud of her.

Her boyfreind, is pre-med and works in cadiovascular research. We're thinking he may propose next week during thier trip to NYC.

I love hearing stories of people doing what they love. I'm holding out for the farming, my heart explodes at the pride of helping a stressed ewe give birth, I have small hands and am quite versed in birthing challenges. I'm well aware of mothering mess, manure and marketing meats, so after the next couple of years saving, things get exciting (stressful) but exciting.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmesteader View Post

Her boyfreind, is pre-med and works in cadiovascular research. We're thinking he may propose next week during thier trip to NYC.
Haha, he just did.....yay!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM

If I had to list three occupations I would like to have they would be:
1. Writer
2. Librarian
3. Owner of a coffee shop/book store.
I work part time right now 3 mornings a week with a home health agency. My husband works enough overtime that I don't have to put in the hours while our boys are still in school.
Our boys are a sophomore & senior this year & I've been thinking of what I want to do once they both graduate. Dh believes we will be working up until the day we die. We don't have anything for retirement and if I began working after the boys are moved out we could take my check and keep it for retirement. We also want to sell our house and find a small place in the country somewhere. We are even thinking of relocating.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Master Pontificator

My first choice would be to be a Merchant Seaman, preferably black gang, and steam plants, of course thatís what I do now, wish we could go back to the days of stick ships, but thatís what is.

Before I shipped I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska, mostly seiners and long liners, but a few gill-netters and draggers tossed in.

Iíve done other stuff Iíve mostly enjoyed, being a Millwright was a great job, but you have to live in one place, Iíve worked for a railroad, Iíve worked on an apricot farm, been a cab driver, a bartender, a waiter, lots of stuff and I enjoyed it all in one way or another.

I find that happiness is a choice, if youíre making an honest living and paying your own tick, whatís not to be happy?

I suppose if I couldnít ship I would go back to being a millwright, or maybe become a QA taster for a distillery, maybe something I havenít thought of yetÖ