BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Default hi from Canada!

I just joined and can't wait to get enough posts to look at the rest of the forums. I am from New Brunswick Canada. I work as a curator at a living history village so I really know alot about historic homesteading, it has stood me up well when my washer died last Christmas can't wait to meet people! I may not be on here alot as I work full time and run two teen boys everywhere (as well as cook for them) but I will be around.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM

You must be talking about King's Landing- which for those who don't know is a wonderful play to visit and see how things were done in the distant past.

Freya_Dawn
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM

thank you Freya, I live 10 minutes from there, I have worked at Kings Landing for 20 years, 13 years in the historic homes, the last few years as a curator. i take it you have visited? we try to do things the right way
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM

It would have been about 1974 and I was around 10 or 11, and, I believe King's Landing had just recently opened.

We ate at the King's Head Inn; It was the first time I tried blue cheese which I promptly spit out into a napkin. If I remember correctly, the food was cooked by the same methods used in the era.

It was a really neat place to visit, and I'll be going back when I come home.

Freya_Dawn
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM

pm me when you are coming and I will give you a personal tour. yes we opened in 1974. the kings head inn serves meals in the traditional style and they are traditional meals but cooked in a modern kitchen. we have grown alot since '74, 14 homes, 2 churches, one store, various treades
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit further north than you, I think, and on the other side of the St. John. My wife and I have a hundred acres near St. Agatha, Maine, across the river from Edmundston.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM

thanks kfander, that is a beautiful part of the province and your state!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM

Thank you Maritimemama, that is a very gracious of you to offer a tour- I'll will certainly send you a PM When I come home next summer.

Without intruding on your offer of hospitality, as I think about a visiting Kings Landing- the local area would be a perfect to host a weekend get-together for other backwoods home members who might be interested in meeting like-minded folks, visiting Kings Landing or live nearby.

Camping at Mactaquac, close to the US border, Fredericton is only a short distance away with those to die for dry garlic spare ribs (from the folks who used to own the Chinese restaurant in St. Stephen, who now run the Diplomat)

Freya_Dawn
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Hi from the Prairies! I also just joined. Wow sounds like you have a really interesting job!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

thanks pilgrim farms!

freya dawn let me know if anyone else is coming up this way, I only have a three bedroom house but can find a couch or i have a big yard for camping. the dip has delicious chinese food! i live directly across the river from Mactaquac
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Hi Maritimemama,

Thanks for the offer of hospitality. I've made the drive to and from Fredericton many times and would be quite comfortable driving the road at any time of day/night.

If they are the same folks at the Dip, they used to own the C-restaurant in St. Stephen. When the Post Office expanded they bought out the C-restaurant and the folks moved to Fred and took over the Dip.

My mouth is water thinking about the dry-garlic spareribs. They are one of the 3 things I miss about home. Two would be King Cole tea and Ganong double-dip Chocs.

When I was expecting my last child (25 years ago now), about 3 nights a week, my ex used to go down to the Chinese restaurant at 2:30 am for a combo plate, so I could have a late nite picnic in bed.

Freya_Dawn
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM

i live about 15 minutes from the dip but I have only ate there twice, too pricey for my tastes though the food is worth it. i have only been to St.Stephen once and today was my first trip to Nackawic, amazing as i only live a half hour from Nackawic and an hour from St.Stephen. We will definetly have to meet up next time you are up this way. I don't have a passport yet and don't cross the border.