BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

  #1  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM
BWHLover Female BWHLover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 344
Default Homemade Laundry Soap

I found a local reliable source for the ingredients to make laundry soap. I just finished my first batch, it is sitting on the kitchen floor waiting to gel up.

So my question is how do you store the Borax & Washing Soda. I hate the boxes as the are a pain the the rear to measure out of the box.

Last edited by BWHLover; 08-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Aamylf Aamylf is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,310
Default

Gel up? You made liquid soap? Want to share the recipe. I use borax, washing soda and fels naptha, so it's 'dry'

As for storing borax and soda, I use coffee 'cans' (plastic)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 AM
CVORNurse CVORNurse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: l.a.(lower Arkansas)
Posts: 135
Default

You could always use ziplocks to store the leftover borax and soda if you wanted. And beware that it may not gel as hard as you are expecting, and you may have to shake it every time before you use it. I used to make mine and pour it immediately into 2 or 3 liter soda bottles. Then give a good shake each time before I poured it.

Last 2 times I made the powdered version but think I may go back to the liquid version.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 AM
sher sher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: illinois
Posts: 186
Default soap

I like the liquid because if I wash in cold water it is already dissolved. I put my powder to store in ice cream buckets with lids. Stays dry and easy to measure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 AM
karlamaria's Avatar
karlamaria Female karlamaria is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 210
Default

Making soap this week, I got the recipe, just trying to find the washing soda. Finally found the felsnaptha !
__________________
Psalm 34:1
I will bless the LORD at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
BWHLover Female BWHLover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamylf View Post
Gel up? You made liquid soap? Want to share the recipe. I use borax, washing soda and fels naptha, so it's 'dry'

As for storing borax and soda, I use coffee 'cans' (plastic)
Aamylf,

Below is the recipe for gel laundry soap.

~ Basic Recipe ~
Ingredients:*
1/2 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
* Amount of ingredients may be adjusted depending on your own preference. For example, some people prefer to use 1/2 bar of Fels-Naptha instead of 1/3 bar, etc. Instructions:

1. On your stovetop, place grated soap in a large pan with 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts.

2. Add washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.

3. Pour 4 cups hot water into the 4-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and stir well, then add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir again until mixed well.

4. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours; it will congeal into a gel.

5. Stir the soap before each use. Use cup per load (a little more or a little less depending upon how soiled your laundry is).

Makes 1 batch = approx. 2 gallons (64 loads). Recipe may be doubled.
Please note: This is a low-sudsing soap, so you will not see bubbles or suds in the water.

The suds aren't what do the cleaning it's the ingredients!

Scented Soap: You may scent your laundry soap if desired; use 1/2-1 oz essential oil or fragrance oil. DO NOT use soap scents as they will ruin your batch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Aamylf Aamylf is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,310
Default

Thanks, sans the liquid, that's the recipe I've been using, but do like the idea of being able to use all cold water. I love that it doesn't suds, just cleans and my clothes have never seemed cleaner and fresher. Because I'm almost out of the dry, I think I'll give this a try.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM
BWHLover Female BWHLover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamylf View Post
Thanks, sans the liquid, that's the recipe I've been using, but do like the idea of being able to use all cold water. I love that it doesn't suds, just cleans and my clothes have never seemed cleaner and fresher. Because I'm almost out of the dry, I think I'll give this a try.
Aamylf,

Let me know how you line it. I did not add any essential oils and it smells ok.

Last edited by BWHLover; 08-14-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Mrs. Owens's Avatar
Mrs. Owens Female Mrs. Owens is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jay, FL NW Panhandle
Posts: 151
Default

I have been making the liquid gel type for about 2 years and find that it cleans better than the Tide my DH used to insist on buying. As for side jobs, I have a very large bucket that I use to soak my kitchen towels (they always have smelled greasy). I put the bucket about 1/2 full of water and add some of the Borax. I just let them soak until I'm ready to do a full load and pour the whole thing into the machine add some of the soap mixture and away we go. I have always used cold water so the dry type would not be a good idea for us. I buy the oil that is made to put in a potpourri burner for about $2.00 if I have the money. But I think it smells fine without anything. Just smells like soap! I also use the soap for bathing my dog (it rinses out really fast), I clean my floors with it, and I dare say, I could probably use it in the shower for my bath if I chose to, don't think it would hurt a thing. Love the fact that I save so much money and for so little work.
__________________
"Thank God for our handicaps through them, we
find Ourselves, our Work and our Creator." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Mrs. Owens's Avatar
Mrs. Owens Female Mrs. Owens is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jay, FL NW Panhandle
Posts: 151
Default

Just a side note: My husband uses a drill with a long handled paint mixer to stir it up after it has set for a few hours. This breaks it up and is easy to pour into bottles. Yes, I still have to shake the bottles before using the soap, but it desolves much better. Also, milk jugs do deteriorate quickly, so we have begun using old bleach bottles, juice jugs, and 2-3 liter soda jugs when we can get them. I love the process of making my own soap - it makes me feel all HOMESTEADY.
__________________
"Thank God for our handicaps through them, we
find Ourselves, our Work and our Creator." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
mozarkian mozarkian is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 825
Default

You can take this one step further and make a batch of lye soap and then use it in place of the Fels Naptha. We had been using the Fels Naptha recipe for about 3 years now, and just made our first batch of laundry detergent with the homemade lye soap. It cleans very well -- and I really wanted to learn to do this in case I ever HAVE to do it.
We used the instructions from the link below to make the lye, very simple method using a flowerpot and a couple of concrete blocks to set up the filter.

http://www.grandpappy.info/wsoap.htm

2 bonuses, one-- we didn't have to search for somewhere to buy the lye (which because of the drug trade is sometimes hard to locate) and two -- a lye soap bar moistened and rubbed across poison ivy will dry it up and stop the itch immediately. We are transitioning away from purchased bar soap and tweaking the lye soap recipe to our liking.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Mrs. Owens's Avatar
Mrs. Owens Female Mrs. Owens is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jay, FL NW Panhandle
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
You can take this one step further and make a batch of lye soap and then use it in place of the Fels Naptha. We had been using the Fels Naptha recipe for about 3 years now, and just made our first batch of laundry detergent with the homemade lye soap. It cleans very well -- and I really wanted to learn to do this in case I ever HAVE to do it.
We used the instructions from the link below to make the lye, very simple method using a flowerpot and a couple of concrete blocks to set up the filter.

http://www.grandpappy.info/wsoap.htm

2 bonuses, one-- we didn't have to search for somewhere to buy the lye (which because of the drug trade is sometimes hard to locate) and two -- a lye soap bar moistened and rubbed across poison ivy will dry it up and stop the itch immediately. We are transitioning away from purchased bar soap and tweaking the lye soap recipe to our liking.

Thanks Moz, we would like to hear about your tweaking. Let us know if it works. Also, thanks for the link. Good One.
__________________
"Thank God for our handicaps through them, we
find Ourselves, our Work and our Creator." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM
mozarkian mozarkian is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 825
Default

We are happy with our first attempt at bar soap, but want to experiment in future batches with different types of fat and / milk in the soap recipe to achieve different types of soap. We have used Dove for years, so we are looking for something similar to that. Funny how trimming one more thing off the grocery list makes my day!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Mrs. Owens's Avatar
Mrs. Owens Female Mrs. Owens is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jay, FL NW Panhandle
Posts: 151
Default

Let me add, I really, really, really like the Grandpappy's website. Outstanding! Thanks
__________________
"Thank God for our handicaps through them, we
find Ourselves, our Work and our Creator." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
jeanb jeanb is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 663
Default laundry soap

I started making my own homemade laundry soap a few weeks ago. I felt like I had to come up with an affordable way to do laundry if there was no more money coming in. I made the first batch with Fels Naptha and added some lavender essential oil, it smells really nice, but Fels Naptha has that really strong detergent smell to it, and is really hash on some clothes, it made the whites take on a dingy yellow look.

My second batch of laundry soap I used Zote laundry bar, it doesn't have the overpowering detergent smell and my whites are nice and clean now, plus it is less harsh your clothes, if you add some baking soda and vinegar to the final rinse water they come off the line really soft and smell so nice.

I am well on my way to being self reliant with my laundry. Have added three thirteen gallons wash tubs that I found for a little over 13.00 each. Have added my clothes line and clothes pins this month and next month will add a large water storage tank, a rub board, and a wash pot for heating the wash water.

For washing socks, underthings, things that need to be washed in hot water or small in size, I use a square five gallon bucket with a round hole cut in the center of the bucket's lid and put the rapid washer through the hole. That way you don't get hot water or laundry soap splash on you, and the clothes come out really clean without a lot of scrubbing.

This is one thing I can cross off my list if things go bad in having no electricity to run the washer and dryer.
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
BWHLover Female BWHLover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
I started making my own homemade laundry soap a few weeks ago. I felt like I had to come up with an affordable way to do laundry if there was no more money coming in. I made the first batch with Fels Naptha and added some lavender essential oil, it smells really nice, but Fels Naptha has that really strong detergent smell to it, and is really hash on some clothes, it made the whites take on a dingy yellow look.

My second batch of laundry soap I used Zote laundry bar, it doesn't have the overpowering detergent smell and my whites are nice and clean now, plus it is less harsh your clothes, if you add some baking soda and vinegar to the final rinse water they come off the line really soft and smell so nice.

I am well on my way to being self reliant with my laundry. Have added three thirteen gallons wash tubs that I found for a little over 13.00 each. Have added my clothes line and clothes pins this month and next month will add a large water storage tank, a rub board, and a wash pot for heating the wash water.

For washing socks, underthings, things that need to be washed in hot water or small in size, I use a square five gallon bucket with a round hole cut in the center of the bucket's lid and put the rapid washer through the hole. That way you don't get hot water or laundry soap splash on you, and the clothes come out really clean without a lot of scrubbing.

This is one thing I can cross off my list if things go bad in having no electricity to run the washer and dryer.
Thank you
jeanb,

Can I ask where you purchased the was tubs at that price and if they were metal ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 PM
jeanb jeanb is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 663
Default wash tubs

They are the 13 3/4 gallon size and I believe they were 13.99 plus shipping at Agri Suppy. They are the galvanzied wash tubs. These are not the big wash tubs, but ok for the price.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Hooverville Female Hooverville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 239
Default

jeanb, I switched to Zote, too. I like it much better!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM
oldtimer oldtimer is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: great plains
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,658
Default

To me, using Fels Naptha is just taking store bought soap and adding booster to it so you have a detergent.

You can accomplish this exact same thing by actually making your own basic hard soap and using a bar of it instead of the Fels Naptha. That way you really did "make your own" laundry detergent if you are a soap maker.

Soap is one of the easiest things to make so I really have often wondered why more people don't give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Dawn's Avatar
Dawn Female Dawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 259
Default

Thanks for posting on this thread. What a great recipe! My only question in using home made soap is the lye discount. Too much fat, and it will grey, too much lye will bleach out color. I think I will buy a Zote soap and pH test it and try to figure it out from there. What do you do oldtimer?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.