BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Thanks for posting on this thread. What a great recipe! My only question in using home made soap is the lye discount. Too much fat, and it will grey, too much lye will bleach out color. I think I will buy a Zote soap and pH test it and try to figure it out from there. What do you do oldtimer?
We use the soft laundry soap that I have left the recipe for somewhere here under soap making. Make sure when washing with home made soap you double rinse. We add bluing to our soap when we make it and that helps keep your soap from yellowing your clothes.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
We use the soft laundry soap that I have left the recipe for somewhere here under soap making. Make sure when washing with home made soap you double rinse. We add bluing to our soap when we make it and that helps keep your soap from yellowing your clothes.
Interesting! I'll go look for the post. Thank you
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 AM

Default New Laundry Soap Method

Hi all,

I happened across this surfing Pinterest of all places. Same ingredients as stated on the board here but a different twist to the process. It's supposed to take out the graininess. I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning on it.

Mom's Secret Laundry Sauce:

http://www.budget101.com/myo-househo...soap-3993.html
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Dawn, thank you for posting the laundry sauce site, that's an interesting twist on making laundry detergent, I like the idea of not having to deal with powders or what looks like goop, to get the laundry clean.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
Dawn, thank you for posting the laundry sauce site, that's an interesting twist on making laundry detergent, I like the idea of not having to deal with powders or what looks like goop, to get the laundry clean.
Me too. I'm excited to give it a whirl.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Can't wait to use this recipe. Looks sooooooo much easier. Don't have to keep a large bucket in the way.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Master Pontificator

I make the homemade laundry detergent and store it in a two gallon size glass container on my laundry table, but when I saw this I had to try and make it, it came out perfect. I really like the quart jars instead of having to use the two gallon glass container when I would make homemade laundry detergent, this takes up less space on my laundry shelf. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 PM

Do you think it would work the same if I used different soap? I want to use an unscented soap and not Fels Naptha.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Master Pontificator

CLee
One lady told me she uses lye soap instead of fels naptha for making the laundry detergent because it keeps her white sheets white and bright, I think lye soap is unscented, but I don't know if it will work or not in making laundry detergent.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Master Pontificator

Homemade lye soap works just fine in the laundry soap recipe. I like the gel version because it dissolves so easily in hand wash and other household tasks. I find the homemade does not look much like Dove but my skin likes it better. The trick seems to be to let it cure for a long time. We leave it about a month airing and then wrap it in wax paper and store. I do not like to use it on my skin or on delicates before it is about 6 months old.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
I make the homemade laundry detergent and store it in a two gallon size glass container on my laundry table, but when I saw this I had to try and make it, it came out perfect. I really like the quart jars instead of having to use the two gallon glass container when I would make homemade laundry detergent, this takes up less space on my laundry shelf. Thank you for sharing it.
Good to hear it came out perfect! I have a ton of laundry soap to get through before I make mine but I have all the ingredients ready to go.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLee View Post
Do you think it would work the same if I used different soap? I want to use an unscented soap and not Fels Naptha.
Lye soap will cook down in water so you should be fine. If you're uncertain you could always make half a batch to test it out.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Default homemade laundry soap and dishwasher powder

hi all, I am new to soaping my goal is to cp soap. right now I am doing laundry soap and dishwasher powder. I soap because I want to rid as much toxins from my house as I can. the laundry soap I make is amazing. I added some orange essential oil to it and behold it smells fabulous. the dishwasher powder on the other hand is making my dishes cloudy... how can I stop this and make a higher quality dishwasher powder/ current recipe for that is baking soda washing soda Epsom salt and 100% lemon essential oil.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLee View Post
kirks is natural fragranced by coconut or you can use dr.brooners unscented baby mild
Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 PM

I have started using vinegar for my rinse agent in the dishwasher, instead of the jet dry stuff. Works great!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 PM

how much vinegar because I have been using it and it hasn't been helping with the cloudiness
Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 PM

Red face Vinegar for rinsing dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesoaper View Post
how much vinegar because I have been using it and it hasn't been helping with the cloudiness
I just fill up the rinse thingy. I'd say about 2 ounces. Also rinse your dishes in a dishpan with super hot water and vinegar.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Owens View Post
I just fill up the rinse thingy. I'd say about 2 ounces. Also rinse your dishes in a dishpan with super hot water and vinegar.
This time I didn't use vinegar but I put a teaspoon in my pre rinse dept and it seemed to do a little better but I will try the vinegar Tom and let you known Thank you for the info.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM

I've found a liquid laundry soap recipe I really like and it seems to get our clothes clean.

1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
Few squirts of blueing
69 ozs water.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM

This is the one i use and i love it.

http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-an...dry-detergent/

1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax– Found in the detergent aisle

1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda– Found in the detergent aisle

1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean– Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)

2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap– Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)

1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda– Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)

1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener– or use 1 TUB of Scentsy Washer Whiffs. Scentsy washer whiffs are my top choice, (they smell out-of-this-world amazing – my favorite is Quiver), but when in a hurry, I opt for the Purex, (which can be found in the detergent aisle).

The neighborhood wal mart near me carries boxes of zote soap flakes and I like using them as i don't have to grate the soap that way. The box is a bit bigger than the bar soap but using the whole box of flakes doesn't hurt.
I don't like my laundry soap to have a strong smell so I only use 1 bottle of the purex crystals.