BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Default Ireland calling

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on BWH for several years and greatly enjoyed the sharing of information on all the boards. Because I live in Ireland I did not formally join the on-line community; I was not sure what I might have to say that would be interesting or relevant to other members. For better or worse, however, I have decided to sign up.

I live on a small smallholding, about two acres, and I keep poultry, a few sheep and a couple of pigs. I am also a bee keeper. I have a polytunnel in which I grow quite a bit of what I and my family eat. Outside I grow some of what I feed the stock.

I am interested in learning about preparedness and I am particularly keen to learn about canning.

I hope I will have something to say that will be of interest to other members.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome! Poultry, pigs and bees sound so wonderful. (Well, I don't do pig, but I'm not against you doing pigs.) So does two acres.

Polytunnel? Green house?

Canning is a wonderful pastime/way to prep and you can find tons of good information on this board from long time canners. JarDude, where are you? Are you planning to can what you grow or buying to can or both?

Again, welcome.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 PM

hello from georgia we raise poultry and pigs too wanting to start keeping bees some day a lot of people i know here having trouble with whole colonies dying from disease have you had this problem
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 AM

welcome I think you sound like your doing great over there. canning is a great way to get some wonderful food. I'm like the other poster does poly tunnel = greenhouse.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Welcome oisin - hope you'll keep posting. I think it's great for all of us to see how things are done in other parts of the world, and what kinds of challenges/solutions you come up with there to solve the kinds of bumps in the road we all encounter in this lifestyle.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Thank you all for the welcome and encouragement.

Aamylf, I appreciate that you do not do pig for religious reasons but, absent that objection, on small acreages they are the perfect smallholder/homesteader animal. In this jurisdiction, where stock keeping is very heavily regulated. they remain the only animal which can be home slaughtered. All the others must be brought to an abbatoir.

A polytunnel is, indeed, a class of greenhouse. It is a structure made out of heavy guage clear plastic stretched over a frame of curved metal supports. Mine is about 13 x 7 metres (about 40 x 21 feet). In these temperate latitudes it is used to extend the growing season, at both ends, and to provide shelter from summer storms and strong winds. I have no doubt that you have them in North America but I do not know what you call them. I hope to can mostly what I grow and I also do a bit of hunting!!

Plowboy, I currently have 10 beehives and the honey harvest is fast approaching. It has not been a good Summer and it will not be a bumper harvest. The Colony Collapse Syndrome which is besetting bee keepers where you are has, thankfully, not reached these shores and I am hopeful that it is something I will not have to contend with. We have the varroa mite, however, which causes many problems.

KarenBC and rwwoodcock I hope to continue posting if I can find anything of interest to say, but time will tell.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Welcome oisin og.....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 AM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years

Oh my goodness, after reading your post, I long to go back to Ireland! I was lucky enough to spend some time in your beautiful country back in the late 1980's, driving and exploring most of the entire island, and even getting up to Belfast in Northern Ireland ( my friends and family thought it was crazy to do that). As I recall, once I left the bigger towns and cities, people everywhere were living a simple life on their plots of land, raising and eating their own organic livestock/crops, eating plenty of fresh fish, and walking everywhere. Smelling the burning peat that heated most of the homes, was heavenly ( I just LOVED that smell), there were creeks/rivers throughout the Emerald Isle (water supply), but I don't remember if many people lived totally off grid.

I'm sure that you will be able to contribute and share your experiences and wisdom with us, I for one, would love to be able to make some homemade Irish Cream Liqueore, perhaps you would know how to make a batch and share a recipe?

Anyway, welcome to the Forum, from sunny California!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Inactive Member

Welcome! It looks like you mau have a few things to teach us, and that's always great
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Hello to you & welcome from New Hampshire, USA.