BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Handguns

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Colt '70-Series 1911 100th-Anniversary .45 Auto...

Just picked this up last week on GunBroker (NONE were available ANYWHERE in my local shops):

I have a FEW original '70-Series blued Colt 1911's, but always wanted one in all stainless-steel.....lo and behold, Colt had these for the 100th Anniversary of the 1911 this year.

I despise the '80-Series firing-pin block safety, as it was just one more thing that could go wrong at the WORST possible moment, and these are the TRUE, '70-Series UNBLOCKED firing pin models. The fit and finish in these new models rivals anything I have in my collection of originals from the 1970's, when quality WAS Issue #1.

Even the two factory magazines included with the weapon were high-polish, excellent fit and finish, perfect functioning, etc. MUCH better than a LOT of the older Colt Mags I have purchased in the past....I will usually use the Wilson Combat mags for carry or range use, but I'm happy to say that, OUT OF THE BOX, this new Colt had ZERO FTF's or FTE's with the first 100 or so rounds of Remington UMC factory 230-grain hardball.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Master Pontificator

The two targets above (10" pasters) were shot at a range of 30 yards, off the bench, unsupported......when I REALLY tried for accuracy, I could print about a 1" group (the tight groups in the center).....the flyers and opened-up groups were from double and triple-taps to test rapid-fire functioning......NO FTF or FTF's at ALL, in better than a hundred rounds, right out of the box.....I Like it. Also, the sights are standard mil-sights, NOT three-dot targets, so I guess minute-of-chest-cavity accuracy, at thirty yards, on a ten-inch target, unsupported, ain't so bad for the inital test.

Now I have to work up a 185 to 200-grain L-SWC load for easier practice.....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting one of these, before they disappear.....like I said, I looked for a month in my local shops, NONE were to be found, and the prices are climbing everyday on GunBroker. This could be a pistol that could be handed down through the generations, and will serve you well while you're here.

Safe & Happy Shooting!

DocSoos
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

SWEET................

Looks to be a good shooter.

I always liked the authority in the bark of a 45 auto.
Enjoy
Wyo
Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Very nice weapon, I have a few .45's and 1911's but no actual Colts, that is a nice looking one.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM

I've still got my 70 Series Government Model I bought in pieces in the late 70's for $35.
She's ugly, finish wise, but works like a champ.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 08-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks, Guys.....I like her.

RPD.....yer makin' me jealous....$35 for a '70 Series??? I shot that much in ammo the other day.....

DocSoos
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM

It was in pieces in a brown paper bag. The guy had taken it apart and couldn't get it back together. Taking a quick look, I saw all the pieces there, so......................
It appears to have been placed on the carpeted floor, and the carpet had gotten wet. One side of the slide is discolored in that fashion, the Colt Medallion grips were darkened by water exposure as well, apparently.
But I ran the serial number thru the Florida Dept of Law Enforcement web site, and it had never been reported stolen.
When I went thru the divorce in the mid 80's, I sold (for pennies on the dollar) all my other guns, except Old Faithful.
She's retired now, and spends most days in the sock drawer. But on warm, sunny, blue sky days, sometimes we go out for a walk.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
When I went thru the divorce in the mid 80's, I sold (for pennies on the dollar) all my other guns, except Old Faithful.
She's retired now, and spends most days in the sock drawer. But on warm, sunny, blue sky days, sometimes we go out for a walk.
<sigh>.....I love a happy ending.

DocSoos
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM

nice gun love the 70 series colt.