BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Default .410 Home defense reloads

I reload shot shells for .410 in 2/12 and 3" shells does anybody have a recipe for these in home defense , I have #4 buckshot , I can get 10 in a 3" shell. Thanks DM
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Don't know offhand if there are any reload recipes like you are thinking of. I'm sure there are recipes for standard shot loads of bird shot.

Maybe one of the extensive reload manuals has something. If you do some math, you may find a combination of heavy shot that equals a standard shot load by weight...... ?

I think there is some place that loads specialty ammo with a .410 load of 3 double O? buck pellets. Maybe if you disassembled one of those shells and weighed the pay load, you would have an idea of what you can launch.......... safely.

I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a load of common #6 bird shot........
KnowwhatImean.........

Proceed with caution, and enjoy.
Wyo
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't regularly reload shotshells, but I do a lot of reloading. The shells I have reloaded I treated pretty much like any other load.

What matters is pressure. When you factor in the shot, you also have to think about keeping the shot pattern together, so too fast works against you.

The new home defense loads built for the Taurus Judge should give you some ideas. Some of them use flat pellets, while others are a takeoff on the old time "buck and ball" loads used for muzzleloaders. A few larger pellets with smaller pellets mixed in. Say, #4 mixed with #8 shot.

The key is the weight of shot for a given powder charge so you don't get too much pressure inside the gun or get velocities to a level that distorts the shot or spreads the pattern too much.

Getting there and testing your loads is the real fun of reloading.