Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Default Growing Blackberries in Zone 3 or 4

Although I have not started yet, I plan on starting my homestead sometime next near. Where I live now is Zone 5b or 6 based on the map you look at. However, based on some plans that may take place, I may be moving to an area which is considered Zone 3 or 4.

I want to grow Blueberries, Currants, Raspberries, and Blackberries. Since the are bush type plants, I plan on creating a frames to keep the birds out. The thing is that many of these fruits will not grow (or have trouble growing) in Zones 3 and 4.

One idea I had was somehow sealing up the frames in the winter, but allow for them to be open when the weather is not cold, but closing them up when extreme cold weather (lows below zone 5 minimum) is predicted.

Has anyone had experience doing this and what would you suggest. Also, what would you suggest for temperature mitigation for those really cold temperatures.

BTW: I do have some engineering experience within the Architectural area so you can be as technical as you need be.

Last edited by ExHic; 09-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

ExHic - there are a lot of varieties that are very suitable for Zone 3-4.

I grow raspberries, currants and gooseberries with no problem at all and I'm in zone 3, shading towards zone 2. This year I put in a blackberry that is meant for the north , so we'll see how that does. I've also got a blueberry shrub that I haven't planted yet.
Oh, I've got grapes in too!

I don't use ANY winter protection for most of these plants. The snow seems to provide all the insulation they need. The grapes I'll be protecting with a mulch.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Decided to stick with Raspberries. Have realized they taste better than blackberries..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHic View Post
I want to grow Blueberries, Currants, Raspberries, and Blackberries. Since the are bush type plants, I plan on creating a frames to keep the birds out. The thing is that many of these fruits will not grow (or have trouble growing) in Zones 3 and 4.
There's nothing wrong with any of those, and they should grow in those zones. Have you considered adding lingonberries to the mix? You couldn't hope for a more trouble free berry. The worst thing you can do is try to help them. They love being ignored, and hate being watered, fertilized or otherwise pampered. A little peat moss (or equivalent) before the snow comes is nice and, until they get established, it's good to weed around them some, but otherwise just leave them be.

I planted four different varieties along my driveway in Millinocket, Maine. One died, but that's only because my cat dug it up and I didn't notice before it was too late. I put a mesh down to keep my cat from using it as a litter box, and they're doing great. I was away from Millinocket for the spring and summer, and found several new plants when I returned. Millinocket is in Zone 4 but lingonberries will grow even in Zone 2.

Prepare the soil before planting, as they don't like rich soil, preferring peat moss to compost. And if you plant a few different varieties, not only will they all do better but you'll have crops coming at different times in the spring, summer and fall.

I have had poor luck with blackberries and raspberries for some reason. Although they grow wild here, ones that I've planted generally don't survive a winter.