Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Master Pontificator

Default .22 "Short" Ammunition...Anyone Still Use It?

I've recently bought a few older, used handguns in this caliber.....and I've been impressed with their performance. I've always had a box or two of .22 Shorts around, to use in some of my bolt-action rifles, that can use them, for "quiet" shooting near the house for removal of pests, without disturbing the neighbors.....

My Dad used to tell me that when he was a kid, growing up in the coal mines of West Virginia, they would slaughter a hog every fall back in the '30's, and one round from a rifle loaded with a .22 Short would dispatch the hog immediately, so they don't really have a big performance gap from regular .22 Long Rifle ammo, unless you use the "CB Caps", which are low-velocity rounds.

How is availability of .22 Short ammo in your area? Some of our local gun shops carry a few selections, even the local Wal-Mart still carries them.....I may "Stock up" from some online vendors, they seem to have the greatest selection when it comes to this diminutive caliber.

DocSoos

Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Have not used it in years and don't have any but it did do a good job on hogs back in the 60's and 70's. I think that the attractive part was that it was cheap, at least it was back then.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I just started using 22 shorts to do in meat rabbits - and am happy with them for that use.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBC View Post
I just started using 22 shorts to do in meat rabbits - and am happy with them for that use.
I used to buy those for $0.15 a box sixty years ago. What do they cost now?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
Depends on what you get:

100 rounds of high-velocity, CCI .22 Short hollow-points, $7.25:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...28&src=tpCtgAm

50 rounds of Aguila (Mexican-made) high-velocity round nose .22 Shorts, $2.49:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...10&src=tpCtgAm

50 rounds of Remington high-velocity .22 Shorts, $3.49:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...00&src=tpCtgAm

And the old standard, Winchester Super-X .22 Shorts, $3.69:

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...tle=Winchester

A lot more than $0.15 a box, but still not bad.

I've used the Aguila stuff in .22 Long Rifle, and it's always been high-quality ammo thus far, so I'm gonna try some of their .22 Shorts on my next order, and see how they do.

DocSoos
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsoos View Post
A lot more than $0.15 a box, but still not bad.

I've used the Aguila stuff in .22 Long Rifle, and it's always been high-quality ammo thus far, so I'm gonna try some of their .22 Shorts on my next order, and see how they do.

DocSoos
Thanks, not too bad considering a nickle would by a draft beer and 25 cents would get you a bucket of beer back then. Won't get close to that today.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
more than the same size box of long rifle - so i'd imagine a box of .22 b-b caps would cost an arm and a leg (if they even make b-b caps anymore) -
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseToo View Post
more than the same size box of long rifle - so i'd imagine a box of .22 b-b caps would cost an arm and a leg (if they even make b-b caps anymore) -
Surprisingly, they are still made:

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho...=%3A213%2D0505

....and at .37 cents a round, they DO cost an arm and a leg.

DocSoos
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM

I keep a few boxes on hand to use in my bolt action rifles. Enough squirrel hunters in this area use them for the local Ace Hardware to keep in stock. Remington brand.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Trappers use 22 shorts pretty often too, to minimize damage to hides.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I have a pistol chambered for 22 short. I use for trapping mostly. It's small enough to fit inside the pouch in front of my waders. I believe it is a minx model berretta. I have had it for more years that I can remember. Told my grandson it was going to be his someday. Now all he wants to do when he comes over is shoot "his" gun.
One nite about 40 yrs ago, I was running my traps late, it was already dark and I was using a headlamp to see with. I was in water above my waist when some motion in the water caught my eye. It was a HUGE beaver swiming right at me. I had no idea there were even in the river. I had thought all the cut willows I had seen were from some tresspasser cutting trap stakes. Anyway the beaver kept coming in my direction. When it got about 10' away I pulled the pistol out of the pouch. I thought the thing was going to attack me. At about 6' feet, I started firing 'till the clip was empty. The thing went wild thrashing around all over. Blood had given the water a reddish tint. He just sank. I was afraid he was still going to get me while under water and I was scared to death of it. Got out of the water as soon as I could. Then slowly went back into the water at the next riffle and looked for him. Never did find it but he was the biggest I have seen to date.
I have since thought he was probably swimming into the light and meant no real harm but I sure did not realize it at the time.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Doesn't sound like a beaver to me! I bet it was one of those very rare Indiana Attack Gators. You're very lucky to have escaped with your life!

Good thing you didn't find it the next day. I've noticed that many big animals to try to get me at night shrink considerably at dawn. <GGG>
Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
I have a pistol chambered for 22 short. I use for trapping mostly. It's small enough to fit inside the pouch in front of my waders. I believe it is a minx model berretta. I have had it for more years that I can remember. Told my grandson it was going to be his someday. Now all he wants to do when he comes over is shoot "his" gun.
One nite about 40 yrs ago, I was running my traps late, it was already dark and I was using a headlamp to see with. I was in water above my waist when some motion in the water caught my eye. It was a HUGE beaver swiming right at me. I had no idea there were even in the river. I had thought all the cut willows I had seen were from some tresspasser cutting trap stakes. Anyway the beaver kept coming in my direction. When it got about 10' away I pulled the pistol out of the pouch. I thought the thing was going to attack me. At about 6' feet, I started firing 'till the clip was empty. The thing went wild thrashing around all over. Blood had given the water a reddish tint. He just sank. I was afraid he was still going to get me while under water and I was scared to death of it. Got out of the water as soon as I could. Then slowly went back into the water at the next riffle and looked for him. Never did find it but he was the biggest I have seen to date.
I have since thought he was probably swimming into the light and meant no real harm but I sure did not realize it at the time.
That's a GREAT story, Musky! Glad to hear you had your Minx in your waders!

Here's one of two .22 Short Minx's I just purchased recently:

And here's an old Astra .22 Short "Camper" model (that I never knew existed!) that I snagged in a local gun shop, when I went to pickup one of the Beretta Minx's:

The Astra Camper actually has a USEABLE set of sights on it, and a 4" barrel, and I could actually hit a 2" bullseye at 25 yards with it, with high-velocity .22 Shorts.....it was made in 1963. It's essentially an Astra "Cub" with the longer barrel and better sights.

The sights on the Camper:

The results of fast firing/mag dumps at 7 yards:

LOVE those .22 Short "pocket rockets"!

DocSoos
Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Nice guns! Looks like the Camper does a good job on targets as well.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Thankee!

I got on a .22 Short pistol-buying "kick" a month ago, and the Camper was just a lucky find at a local shop.....the kid behind the counter said an older gentleman sold it to them the day before. He said the old man told them he had cancer, that he'd bought it new in 1963, his kids wanted nothing to do with guns, and he wanted someone to have it that would appreciate it. Upon initial inspection, I don't think it had two mags full of ammo put through it.....I thank that gentleman many times over, for giving me a shot at purchasing his fine piece!

The Minx's and the Cub are MUCH easier to put in a vest or pants pocket, and at close range, they're plenty accurate for the task at hand, but the longer barrel and better sights on that Camper sure do make it easier to hit what your aiming at at any distance!

Here's a pic of some of the .22 Short pistols I just acquired, with a Ruger Mark II 6" barrel .22 Long Rifle pistol thrown in for a size comparison:

Clockwise from top: Ruger Mark II, Astra "Camper" (1963), Astra "Cub" (1962), Beretta "Minx" (1970).

DocSoos

DocSoos

Last edited by docsoos; 10-05-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 AM

I still use them in my old Winchester single shot bolt rifle. They are great for getting rid of varmints and such. They sound about the same as an air rifle.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 AM

I use them...mostly for shooting up unwanted snail mail cds, credit card offer cards, bottle caps, clay "dice" bottles, nickles, dimes, and what not pretty much for target practice. The squirrels are "protected" by the old lady across the street...the rabbits are also "protected" by a young 13 year old next door, and pretty much most the other small things you'd like to kill and eat are "protected" by the lady behind me.

Their protest....their cute and fuzzy and innocent.....mine is....their delicious and would be very good in my pot....their retort is you harm one of them I'll whomp on you....except the 13 year old....she kicks me in the shin and threatens to call PETA.

what ya going to do
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Default Where Noise is An Issue...

Howdy.

I like .22 Short CCI HPs. They are much quieter than their Long Rifle counterpart, and I believe, have reduced but adequate penetration for head shots on coons, possums, and even coyotes in traps. Squirrels fold just as quick with that load as with an L.R.. In my experience the CCI ammo is noticeably more accurate than the Aguila stuff, but not in a practical application sense. Just on paper targets. I just like the CCI HP better than anything I've ever used and the CCI is the only HP in a short out there anymore. Federal used to have an HP but the few I have left were bought 30 or so years ago. .22 Short to me is simply amazing. Its so tiny, but so efficient except for the current retail pricing. I wish they were in bulk packs like the other bargain .22s. I'd use even more. I guess I apply them like you would use a hi-power, high dollar, air rifle.OzarksJohn
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM

I wish you guys had not posted about the 22 short, brought back some fond memories when I was growing up. Now I gots to go and buy me another one. Darn you rascals anyhow {;>)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Master Pontificator

CONGRATULATIONS on finding the "CAMPER" I've known of them for yra and have wanted 1 or 2 for at least 30 years. I have never seen one in person.

I do have a long Barreled MINX for more than 20 years. I'll never forget finding it in a gunshop on the way home from a gushow. At $35 it was the cheapest gun in the store. I had to convince the idiot behind the counter to sell it to me! I can't tell you how many times he argued with me that it was useless and what I REALLY wanted was a Beretta .25 ACP!

What a MAROON!

I asked him if he had a camper he didn't have a cle what it was. If you see one advertised somewhere please let me know!