BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Default In a good spot, but it's going to be a challenge..

Here in Alberta, things don't seem nearly as grim as they do in the States, from what I see. Canada's not a poorly off as most countries economically (less of a bubble to pop), and the oil sands are really pumping up the conventional economy.

People have no clue about peak oil, locavore eating, or the need for real currency compared to fiat currency. Most people are in some way surviving on government money, directly or indirectly. (I count teachers, health care among these folks.)

We're trying to position ourselves to thrive in the coming world. The big question was, what kind of life do we create?

So it looks like we're pretty close to getting this bakery. If the lawyers don't derp it up, it'll close Nov. 1. In this small prairie city, it's the only 'real' bakery in town. I don't count supermarket bakeries because all their stuff is trucked in from factories frozen.

We're in wheat country. We're going to try to get local wheat as soon as it's workable financially. Supposedly the Alberta wheat pool is going to be changed, and it's already possible to buy local organic wheat - but I don't really care so much organic or not. We're also looking at putting in a wood/gas hybrid oven. (mmmm montreal-style bagels.)

Eventually we'd like to be able to barter for our inputs.

Hilarious thing is, our background is business (we both have MBAs), and are just teaching ourselves to bake right now. Gotta keep jogging or all these carbs are going to make me fat.

I'll be able to say more about what the business is and what we plan to do with it once the final offer is accepted and the lawyers get out of our way.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

"Here in Alberta, things don't seem nearly as grim as they do in the States, from what I see. Canada's not a poorly off as most countries economically (less of a bubble to pop), and the oil sands are really pumping up the conventional economy."

You're exactly right, Canada has one of the strongest economies (and, hence, strongest currencies) in the world.

Something to watch for, though -- I know Canada is America's largest trading partner, so I assume that the US is also Canada's largest partner. Meaning, that if the US has a sneeze, Canada will catch the flu. That makes the loonie dependent on the dollar.

Here in the US, about 42% of the population depends on a check from our government. The way things are structured, I'd bet that number is even higher in Canada. So if the US has some sort of economic failure, it will immediately translate to major trouble in your area.

Point being, your willingness to dabble in barter is an excellent idea!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Grumble: Oh yes, when SHTF, Canada will go down with the US. What our current 'advantage' gives us is a huge population who will be completely surprised by it.

I see that as opportunity for us...