BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Transfer switch or..

I mentioned I sold my old china diesel genset. I bought a 7KW/6KW Champion which is one of the better Honda clones out there. I bid on, and won a tri fuel conversion for it on ebay. Waiting for it now. My question is regarding a transfer switch. I don't want to spend a lot on one , and remember seeing something that might work. Instead of a switch, it is a lockout plate that covers the main breaker and allows you to choose which breakers to leave on.

The problem is I don't know what it is called and haven't found it online. I'd appreciate a link if someone knows what I'm talking about. BTW, I readily found my buyer a water pump for the china diesel, with your help. Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM

You may be referring to a Lock-Out-Tag-Out kit , which is not what you want.
Go with a transfer switch.
YOU may know enough to turn off the main breaker when running the gen , but someone trying to do you a favor when you're not there may cause an "issue".
Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 AM

Thanks axehandle, but that's not it. With this plate in place the main breaker can't be turned on. Think about a flat aluminum?? plate that covers the main and only has slots or openings on the circuits you want.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Grainger sells locks for main breakers.However since breaker dimensions vary between manufacturers , the plate you describe would be specific to only one.
What is the make/model/size panel you need this for ?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Will locking out the main breaker negate all possibility of energizing the power lines with the generator so that someone doesn't get electrocuted upstream? I am under the impression that only a transfer switch will do this safely and efficiently.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy-Hermit View Post
Will locking out the main breaker negate all possibility of energizing the power lines with the generator so that someone doesn't get electrocuted upstream? I am under the impression that only a transfer switch will do this safely and efficiently.
Agree, only a transder swith will do this automaticly but a 30 or 60 amp disconnect box on the generator input to the breaker box makes the hook up a two step process. And, you don't want line power feeding back into your generator.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM

I appreciate all the replies. My genset is still in the process of being converted to tri fuel. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for the device I saw. When I find it, I'll post it and we can cuss/discuss it. OK?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM

Is this what your looking for ?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 AM

Well Inland that is very close to the kit I saw. The point is that the main breaker cannot be turned on when the generator circuit is on, and vice versa. The kit I saw was simpler and much cheaper, but the idea is the same.