Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Amoxicillin Amoxocillin shelf life

There's a fair amount of controversy about the "real" shelf life of pharmaceuticals versus the "manufacturer's recommended" shelf life. I just want to share a real observation which you can use or ignore according to your own free will.

As a teen and young adult, I consumed lots of carbonated soft drinks. Decades later I continue to pay the price for that indiscretion and am nursing another toothache at the moment. (after watching me endure bad teeth, my youngsters don't have to be told about tooth care, that's for sure!)

Back in 08 (about 3 teeth ago) I filled a scrip for Amoxycillin 500mg. I don't know why but I didn't take the whole course like we're supposed to when taking anti-biotics. The bottle has been sitting in the med cabinet for 3 years.

For the past week I've been dealing with another bad tooth - visible swelling in my face, excruciating pain etc. I don't know why but for some reason I began to wonder if I still had that scrip from years ago.

Sure enough, I found it at the back of the med cabinet. The bottle was dated 10/2008 with an expiration of 1 year later. 3 years later, it's now 2011 and 2 years after the "expiration." I began taking the anti-biotic this morning and by this afternoon the swelling is down, and the pain is nearly gone. I may get some sleep tonight! As I recall, this is about how Amoxycillin has worked for me in the past.

In other words, the 3 year old drug appears to be working exactly as it's supposed to, even though it's 2 years beyond expiration. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: I rarely drink soady waters anymore. They ain't worth the pain!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM

A couple of sources to make a decision while stocking up....

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Prescr...longevity.html

In this post I recommend watching the videos from The Patriot Nurse

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread658768/pg1
Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Master Pontificator

I would not be at all worried about expired prescription drugs. We have done, and will continue to do so. Injectable vet antibiotics work well also. (Make sure it is only an antibiotic and not mixed with something else).

Having had similar dental issues, I started using plain old peroxide as a mouthwash/gargle morning and night immediately before I brush my teeth and it works! In just a few days, my gums were no longer tender and I haven't had any further issues since I started this back around 1995 when I last saw a dentist who wanted to pull all my teeth and set screws in my jaw, etc. I will keep my teeth, thank you very much.

I get some funny looks at the dollar store when I buy 20 bottles of peroxide at a time to add to my stockpile. Using it only tastes icky if air gets to it, keep you mouth closed as much as possible and it has no real taste, and cheap toothpaste takes care of that anyway.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes I am sure they are effective after Thier experation date the real thing that changes is the potency of the drug.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Antibotics are available without a prescription from a company a retired pharmacist told me about in England, '4rx' I have ordered from this company with no problems at all. Their antibotics comes vacumed packed on cards and have a 18mo experation date on them but my friend told me that if we seal them well with a disccant pack (those little moisture packs found in vitamins, etc) and store them in the fridge, (never freeze) they would keep another 6+ months! *I strongly advise you to only order drugs that have already been prescribed for you and are safe for you to take! A SHTF scenario is not the time for guessing! I also ordered drugs to store that we take on a regular basis as they may be hard to get in emergency situations. There are many other companys on the net that do not require prescriptions, just be sure to order from one that has a verifiable address and a USA 1-(800) number!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 PM

I stockpile the heck outta any prescription drugs that me or my family or my pets have left over. I would have no problem taking a 10 year old antibiotic that was stored in a cool dry place. From the research I have done about this & the doctors & chemists I have talked to I would put my limit at 30 years old for most drugs in extreme circumstances. I look at it this way....most instructions or warning on anything are for complete idiots or lawyers. If I were in a SHTF situation I would rather have a 10 year old antibiotic & weigh my decision to take it then rather than have thrown it away years before just to be safe. Even not in a SHTF situation it can make a difference to someone in need.

I had a friend recently who had a tooth abscess on a thursday who had not established a primary dentist in town. Half of the dentists were closed on friday & the ones that were open could not get her an appointment that day. There were not many options for her because she did not have insurance & she would have to pay extra money to go to an emergency room. I gave her 6 amoxicillin on friday & 2 vicodin. She thanked me profusely on saturday & gave me one vicodin back saying that she was so happy to be able to sleep the night before & the pain was going away. We got her an appointment on monday to have the tooth fixed & the infection was pretty much gone. Both were from 6 year old prescriptions that I received when I had a tooth go bad. She acted as if I had given her a brand new car she was so thankful. Its sad that I could be arrested for doing that.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
I would not be at all worried about expired prescription drugs. We have done, and will continue to do so. Injectable vet antibiotics work well also. (Make sure it is only an antibiotic and not mixed with something else).
The liquid, flavored children's antibiotics that are kept in the fridge do go bad fairly quickly. The others are fine long after the expiration dates.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM

I've read that when you start a course of antibiotics, you're supposed to continue taking them even after the symptoms are gone. Logic is that while the worst of the infection is gone, some of the hardiest bacteria still remain, and unless those are killed off too, they'll grow and the infection will return with more resistant bacteria.

My question is, if you're using antibiotics that are old or not prescribed by a doctor, how do you know when to stop taking the meds?

Last edited by grumble; 11-28-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spilling
Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
My question is, if you're using antibiotics that are old or not perscribed by a doctor, how do you know when to stop taking the meds?
Since most rounds run ten days, that would be the amount I would choose to use if I went that route.
You can buy antibiotics OTC in Mexico for about six dollars a bottle.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

10 days, huh? That is great info! Having some sort of guideline is worth it's weight.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Master Pontificator

Humans are usually given a 7 or 10 day antibiotic perscription. This makes me wonder because animals, 10x human size are usually given either a single dose or 3 days at most. So is there a real reason or is this just a way to sell more drugs and prevent people from having any left overs on a prescription? .... I know, I know-- I am terribly suspicious of anything done by Big Drug and Big Brother... can't help it... THEY made me this way! LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Moz, wasn't it you who, several months ago, wanted some answers for the little voices in your head? (Which I thought was a funny and clever remark!) Sounds to me like those voices ask some pretty darn good questions.

Do animals get a more massive dose? Are the meds given them stronger? Do vets not worry about hardier bacteria returning? Or, as you suggest, are the drug companies and the AMA just selling more meds?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Master Pontificator

grumble, for instance, if one of my cows had an infection and needed antibiotics- the injectable versions that I use have directions usually calling for 1 ML for 100 lbs body weight on an adult cow as one time dose, once in a great while for up to 3 days but I have never been told to use up the bottle or to continue dosage longer than 3 days at the most. An honest vet will tell you as mine tells me, that in most cases, basic vet meds are the same formulas as the ones you buy in the drugstore, just a whole lot cheaper, so why the difference in how they are used??
If you stop at the farm store, you can see bottles and bottles of injectable antibiotics for sale, for cheap, but none in pill form. That is because they know most people will not give themselves a shot, but might self-medicate with a pill form of the medicine if they could get it without a RX. They don't do this because they are concerned about your safety, Big Brother regulates this so that you have to buy your pills through a doctor and pharmacy which forces you to support Big Drug. If they have thier way, we will soon see our food supply as regulated as our medicines and you will either buy it in licensed, regulated, inspected supermarket or you will be seeing food on the blackmarket.

Let's see, if I get sick tomorrow--will I make a doctor appt $60 (office call), take the RX to the pharmacist (RX(s) probably $50 or more minimum), gas to get there and back ($10 minimum), expose everyone I come in contact with to my illnes, or will I stay at home, take out one of the $7 bottle of antibiotics in the fridge, use a $0.35 sterile syringe, pull the correct dosage calculated by the same weight table as I would use for the cows and take care of my own problems?

I'll give you a hint--I haven't wasted money on a doctor for more than 6 years now. I quit when they wanted to run a whole lotta tests looking for something that no one wants to find. And I'm a whole lot healther and happier now...other than those danged voices...LOL
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
Humans are usually given a 7 or 10 day antibiotic perscription. This makes me wonder because animals, 10x human size are usually given either a single dose or 3 days at most. So is there a real reason or is this just a way to sell more drugs and prevent people from having any left overs on a prescription? .... I know, I know-- I am terribly suspicious of anything done by Big Drug and Big Brother... can't help it... THEY made me this way! LOL
I think that it is because livestock animals are given higher doses? Not sure, but I have always heard that.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Moz: "If you stop at the farm store, you can see bottles and bottles of injectable antibiotics for sale, for cheap, but none in pill form. That is because they know most people will not give themselves a shot, but might self-medicate with a pill form of the medicine if they could get it without a RX."

I took the advice of the Patriot Nurse on youtube, and bought some antibiotic pills packaged for fish. Reasonably priced, no Rx, and long shelf life. And no liquids to keep refrigerated. What didn't come with the meds was dosage info.

I admire your self-sufficiency, Moz!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Master Pontificator

M-On injectables-I always use 1 ml for 100lbs body weight, rounded up to nearest 100Lbs-same as directed for larger mammals. Have had vets give me that dose for 100 pound calves and 1000 pound cows, seems to work well for us too.

G - on the fish meds- I did a google search and found several, below is a link to an example. This one says its 100 tablets / 250 mg in strength.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Mox-Amo...669#vi-content
The second link has generic dosing info in it from another site. Gotta love the internet! Ask and ye shall receive!
http://www.medicinenet.com/amoxicillin/article.htm

Fish meds sound kind of interesting, might be a good addition to the home pharmacy.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks for that medicinenet.com link! Got a few other things I need to look up there and print out for my notebook. Excellent site!

Maybe you can help with this, too -- any good ideas for non-habit forming painkillers? That is, no opiates, nothing that I'd have to guard from people wanting to misuse it. What I'm thinking of is having to give stitches to a kid or cut a big splinter out. I also can't find ether anywhere. It isn't controlled, but apparently the hazardous shipping makes it almost impossible to find. (Except for the denatured stuff used as starter fluid).
Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Maybe Lidocaine for topical pain relief?
http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/...ief-module-143
It OTC- and available, not sure if it would be strong enough for kids and stitches though.
Here is a link to a vet version that I haven't researched all the ingredients, but I suspect there is nothing there that would be scary. $3 something for 100 ml. (injectable vet version has to have a vet rx, but that isn't hard to get).

http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.ph...sds&id=1058165

I know that I have read of a plant or herb that works as a topical anesthetic, maybe someone who knows will chime in?

Ether-- neither I nor my voices have a clue-- I did a little search on the net, but when they wanted my physical address before giving me ordering info it weirded me out. Course they have my IP address, so if you don't hear anymore from me, Janet Napolitano probably showed up at my door. LOL

Last edited by mozarkian; 11-29-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM

We'll put out an APB on ya, Moz!

I've heard of lidocane. Gotta run right now, but I'll sure check out that link this afternoon. Once again,thanks a million! I've spent hours trying to search that sort of stuff, and keep running into dead ends.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 PM

The bottle of human injectable Lidocaine I have says it is 1%. (Xylocaine) The bottle lists no additional additives. I do know you have to be careful of over-injecting as it can cause reactions. I wanted some topical Lidocaine for wounds or stiches and after searching to find it without a prescription, I reluctantly ended up asking my Doctor for a script. I know the ointment is 5% and the jelly is 2% Lidocaine. Hope this info helped.
I myself would be alittle leary of injecting animal antibiotics into me, plus how would you know if you needed day 2 or 3??? I don't think they work that fast do they??? I've had shots at the Doctor before, but then he gave me the pills to take too anyway! Geeeeeze!
So since I can get them without a script, I'll just stick to the pills!