BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default combo load for 45 colt

Now that I have both 45 bisily Ruger and a Rossi 45 lever action, I'm looking for a compromise load that will shoot well in both weapons. Any one out in cast land that has already developed a load like that. It would sure help me out time and money wise so I don't have to start at square one. Thanks
Bob
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My load books are out in the shop, and I'd have to slog through a foot of melting snow and mud to get to them.

The best compromise for just plinking, will be a lighter bullet going a tad faster. Say for eg., a 180 gr scooting along at about 800-900 fps. The light bullet will reduce recoil for the handgun, and the speed will increase the accurate range of the rifle.

If you don't have a Lee or Lyman load book for cast check out various powder websites for some sample loads. Then, by golly, get that Lee handbook! It will be the best $13 you ever spent!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Default 45 LC loads

I picked up a H&R Classic last year. Using a Lee 6 cavity 228gr mould I tried 3 different powder loads just because I had a lot of powders avaliable in small quanties.
285 gr remington Muzzle loader bullet sized to .454 15gr Accurate #9 CCI 350
225 gr cast lee 5gr clays
185gr speer jhp 20gr 5744
225gr 8 to 9gr unique

All these shoot great. I was actually impressed with the little rifle.

The 285 gr ML bullets sound like a whale hitting the water when they strike. Off hand shooting I'd say they all shot in a 12" area @ 100yds.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM

I load a 255gr. keith style gas checked cast ahead of 10 gr. of Unique. I don't remember what the lyman mold # is, but it is an old design that Elmer Keith used exstensively. I've shot deer with this load and it puts them down pretty quick. I use a 20:1 lead/tin mix for hunting bullets and a linotype/wheel weight mix for targets and packing in bear country. This was one of Elmer Keith's pet loads for the .45 LC.

Last edited by mtdrtbag; 01-23-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM

Default WFN Style.

Howdy.

There are several excellent WFN and SWC bullets available for the .45 Colt. I've been a long time user of the common 250 grain SWC by various commercial casters. There is very little in the woods that can't be handled by any of these with a charge of 9.0 grains of Alliant Unique. Thats considered to be about a grain over standard factory level but considered entirely safe in post WWII Colt SA's. I'd try this as a potential do all load and see if the guns in question behave properly with it. Velocity is around 900 fps or so in pistols and I'd expect maybe 1050-1100 from a rifle. Never loaded .45 Colt for a carbine. More is possible but you would be better served in that case by a different powder such as Alliant 2400.OzarksJohn
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 AM

6 grains of red dot Alliant powder with 250-260 grain bullet
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM

I have a bunch (can get actual numbers later this evening when I get home) .45 LC once fired brass. My wife had a Taurus Judge that we got rid of to consolidate ammo, which is why we have the shells in the first place.

If you are interested in them let me know.