BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Hello from the Ozarks of MO

Hi, I am basically starting over again. I had a farm up in Northern MO from '95 - '99. We had all sorts of animals and and fruits and veggies, etc. It was SO much fun and alot of work but I think with the economy as it is now? It's time to get back to what I know and love. I would love to meet some other "like minded" people here in the Ozarks who have a buck goat and some Muscovy ducks. Does anyone have any suppliers that they like for Muscovy's? I have found where I'm going to buy my fruit and nut trees & some other perrineals (sp?) from. http://www.eburgess.com Their prices are incredible. You can request a catalog and their stuff is SO awesome. Anyway. Our family lives in a "subdivision" but we have 5+ acres and some of our other neighbors have already gotten farm animals so we won't be TOO "odd". LOL We already have 2 bunnies so far but this spring we are kicking it into high gear. If anyone can help us out, we would appreciate it. Thanks & God bless. Sharlene Risinger
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome. There are quite a few folks here in your neck of the woods.
Come back often and I'm sure you'll meet some of them.

Be sure and post your request in the animal forum.
You should get some replies there.
David
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Hey thanks! I'll do that. Gonna plant some fruit trees this year, too. Not sure about this Ozark clay though. Not sure what to "fortify" it with to make it better besides compost...
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Welcome from another SC MO resident! The clay soil here needs lime. Fruit trees should do well here - mine are okay. Add something around the trees like daisies chives etc. which are suppose to help them.

Compost helps. Course construction sand can help the clay - but Nooooo
play sand - will make it worse! This soil is a real challenge. It does grow rocks real well though!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Thank you and nice to meet you! Man is it EVER a challenge. When we first moved here my grown son was planting a few rose bushes for me in front of the house. He had his shovel and he tried to dig and tried to dig and finally our neighbor sent his son over to our house with a pick axe and he said, "My dad said to tell you that he's gonna need this". We bought one that next day and it's almost worn out since then! LOL But it's ok. Once you get it enriched it holds water well! AND it does grow rocks REALLY well! Thanks again! Sharlene
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 AM

Default Starting over

Hi Sharlene, Welcome back. We live here outside of Lebanon, MO. We have planted fruit trees, berry bushes, vegies ect... here also. And we have all sorts of farm animals (except for the ducks) I don't know how much space you will have once you plant your fruit trees; however, if you have some room may I suggest that you go to your nearest conservation office or look online into the George O. White State Forestry Nursery
Missouri Dept. of Conservation
PO Box 119 licking MO 65542 or order on line at : mdc.mo.gov/node/3328
They have seedlings(bundles of 25) available for MO residents and the starting price is $4.00 per bundle. They have many nut trees and the "Wild Edible Bundle" has fruit trees/plants/bushes that will grow in our clay soil. The Wild Edible bundle cost $25.00 for 50 seedlings and you receive 10 different plants(5 of each).
They have a lot of trees that will grow in our soil and zone plus their prices are very resonable.
There is a local well know Hatchery here in Lebanon. It is called Cackle Hatchery and they carry all types of barn yard fowl and supplies. their web site is: www.cacklehatchery.com
They do ship birds and supplys and they have been in business since 1936
Anyways, hope this helps , good luck, God Bless
Firefightermom (Ginny)
Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therisingers View Post
Hey thanks! I'll do that. Gonna plant some fruit trees this year, too. Not sure about this Ozark clay though. Not sure what to "fortify" it with to make it better besides compost...
That isnt clay, it is field rocks in the makeing. LOL
Welcome from the West side of MO
Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Thank you for the info!!! I'm going to look into the trees. I really want dwarf so I will check them out and see if they have any of those. I don't have a whole lot of room so I thought that I could space them at the 10' recommended and have plenty of space after. I've even thought about putting them into my FRONT yard and just making IT an orchard. I saw a cool idea about things to do between them. This guy said to use two of the trees and the space between them, go ahead and mulch it and put in asparagus or other plants in that unusable space AND it's easier to mow around them that way. I hope I explained it well. I'll see if I can find the link to it. I found it a very useful idea and hope to try it. Thanks again for the info and nice to meet you. I have a Cackle catalog. I'm excited! God bless. Sharlene
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Here is the link I found. I LOVE this idea for between the fruit trees. Scroll down to see the picture. http://www.food-skills-for-self-suff...n-orchard.html
Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Another one ya might want to look at is Stark Brothers. They are just a bit north of St Louis. Seem to have a good selection.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Thank you. I have one of their catalogs. I'm getting inspired with all of them. Sharlene
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM

Also take a look at the MDC nursery in Licking. They have lots of native Missouri plants for very cheap (~ $8 per bundle of 25) and many of them are fruiting varieties.

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/lan...forest-nursery
Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 AM

I really appreciate the info! I had no idea about the MO Con doing that! Excellent prices for sure! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM

I have been a fan of BHM for many, many years. When I had my farm in N. MO I had all of the anthologies and had been a long time subscriber. I have found more valuable info in your magazine than anywhere else. I DO want to buy that Foxfire set though when I get the money, LOL. I have read most of them from the library years ago and I LOVED them. So I'm gonna own them eventually. This is some GOOD stuff living out like this. When other people are going to be hurting from lack of food and all, we will all fare pretty well. We'll all eat anyway. I'm happy to be back into homesteading again. It feels right and I'm SO thankful to be able TO do this again. Even at my age I'm holding up ok. I have my two grown sons that live at home, too and we're all trying to prepare for the times to come. We have firearms and trying to get our food together by growing what we need. We have a well but it's electric and it's shared. We "own" the well but we have two houses besides ours on it. Don't much care for that set up but not much we can do about that right now. They never want to pay their share of the light bill but when it breaks down, they are sure gripin. LOL Anyway...Sorry to be so windy. Thank you for your magazine and for this forum. My oldest son told me that I should find "a" forum and I remembered here and thought, "I KNOW a forum". Thanks again. Sharlene
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Texas County Mo

"The George O. White State Forest Nursery is in Texas County about three miles northwest of Licking."

My father was living in Texas County for a while. I managed to get one visit there. I LOVED the neighborhood. Not to far from the fish farm.

I've got some room in the back yard for some fruit and nut trees.
Maybe I'll get that started this year. Wish I had when I bought the place, but still busy with other things.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM

The people at the Nursery are very helpful. They spent a good bit of time on the phone helping me figure out exactly where and how to plant their trees to increase the likelihood of success. They also provided me with a local MDC contact who will be coming out next month to help with site specific ideas. I am usually not big on getting "help" from the government but these guys are now on my Christmas list!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Welcome from New Hampshire.