BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Question Can I make Wine from Oranges??

The last time my Mom visited from Florida she brought me grapefruit, oranges, and lemons from her(and her friends) citrus trees.. Can I make wine from oranges? If yes, How!!
Thanks!!!!
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM

If you do a search for how to make orange wine it will come up with some different ways to do it. I have used the ehow recipe with success but remember to seal really good like they say had one bottle turn into vinegar. hope this helps
Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio4us View Post
If you do a search for how to make orange wine it will come up with some different ways to do it. I have used the ehow recipe with success but remember to seal really good like they say had one bottle turn into vinegar. hope this helps

Thanks!! I've gotten directions from ehow before for pear/apple wine... I was thinking of doing a search but thought I'd ask the experts here first
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

I use ehow quite a bit on different recipes and drinks that I want to try
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

kammisue, here is an article I stumbled upon that might be of help;

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/fedyniak110.html

At a local Saturday craft fair in my "tinytown" there was a man who makes his own wines and has a license. He ships quite a bit even to other countries. He had sample cups, (one of which was his version of local orange wine) and it was really tasty.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAcErRicK View Post
kammisue, here is an article I stumbled upon that might be of help;

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/fedyniak110.html

At a local Saturday craft fair in my "tinytown" there was a man who makes his own wines and has a license. He ships quite a bit even to other countries. He had sample cups, (one of which was his version of local orange wine) and it was really tasty.

Thank You so much!!! Yes Indeed!! that article was very helpful... I'm going to follow the recipe for "Mandarin orange wine"
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Good luck, I tried it years ago and it was a bust. I believe the acid makes it harder to do.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Forgot to mention, there is another bit on fruit wines a little further down on the list of authors. You guys see that one too ?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:51 AM

Here is my FWIW. I made tangerine wine a few years back. Followed the recipe for it on the Jack Keller winemaking website, and I followed the recipe to a "T". It was so incredibly acidic after 3 months that I finally just dumped it. I am not a winemaking expert but I've used many kinds of fruit over the years to make wine, and that recipe was, bar none, the worst I have ever made, before or since. Maybe it was the recipe, but I've asked a couple other people I know who make wine and beer, and they had the same problem I did.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyPitcher View Post
Here is my FWIW. I made tangerine wine a few years back. Followed the recipe for it on the Jack Keller winemaking website, and I followed the recipe to a "T". It was so incredibly acidic after 3 months that I finally just dumped it. I am not a winemaking expert but I've used many kinds of fruit over the years to make wine, and that recipe was, bar none, the worst I have ever made, before or since. Maybe it was the recipe, but I've asked a couple other people I know who make wine and beer, and they had the same problem I did.
I've made a few wines that are far too acidic. These can be easily remedied though.

When the pH is less than 3.0, the yeast may have been killed or inhibited. Dilute the must to reduce the acidity. Alternatively, neutralize the acid by adding potassium carbonate solution. which means you need to dissolve 2 oz potassium carbonate in 1/4 pint of water (60 g in 150 ml) and add to must a little at a time, stirring well and tasting after each addition until the acidity is correct. 3 teaspoons of this solution will reduce the acidity of 1 gallon (4.5 litres) by about 1 ppt.

There is a problem I often run into with citrus. The end result is too bitter, The problem is excess tannin, which can be removed by fining with isinglass or longer maturation. Bitterness may be masked by adding up to 2 fl oz (60 ml) of glycerol per gallon (4.5 litres).

I recommend this reading to help understand the acids in wine.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/acid.asp

The lemons, I recommend limoncello you can never have enough of it.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM

I'm making a batch of dandelion wine right now. The recipe I had called for the rind of 3 lemons and 3 oranges. I was going to throw in the juice too, but now am glad I didn't. Never thought about the acidity affecting the fermentation so drastically.

My first batch of wine I just winged, some apples, some lemons, natural yeast from the apple skin, some sugar....man was it good.

So now I went out and bought some proper wine yeast and nutrient. I bet you anything I just set myself up for disaster by actually trying...
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM

I have a small orange grove and make 10-20 gallons of orange or tangerine wine each year. I use the most simple recipe possible. 1 gal. of juice for 5 gal. wine. add sugar to bring potential alcohol to 10% (dry) or 15% (sweet).
add yeast, yeast nutrient and let-er-rip. Never had a bad batch.