Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

I'm with grumble about the folks from Utah - they were easily the most impressive of the bunch (so far). I discovered that she has a blog, if anyone's interested.

http://preparednesspro.com/

The first episode was just Crazytown. I've lived in Houston and the apartment prepper looked as if she was trying to walk to Pasadena, Baytown or Texas City (although that last seems a bit farfetched). Houston's nice and flat, but you can't get anywhere in three hours, so a six hour walk didn't surprise me one bit. And the other two..well.

And the New England Liberals had a sweet set-up, but the "I'll invite anyone in, show 'em my preps, and if they aren't friendly, I'll just poison 'em or stab them with a knife". Yeah, right.

Having said that, I'll continue to watch. I've not yet seen an episode where I haven't gleaned a nugget or two of information, which is more than I can say for 99% of the rest of television.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 AM

Thanks Crunchy...you nailed it just right. I enjoyed the shows and learned a few things here and there also. Dang sure beats anything else on the tube. :/ :/
Thanks for the link also..I will check it out
Hope all is well with everyone, Shannon
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I thought I understood one of the preppers to say that Honey would not spoil. Does anyone have information about that?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 PM

yes it's true. my bil keeps honey bees and so did his father.he says if it crystalizes th put it in a sunny window or microwave it for a few seconds and it is fine . i have done this and it tastes right to me.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
I thought I understood one of the preppers to say that Honey would not spoil. Does anyone have information about that?
This is true.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
I keep my honey in quart canning jars, if it crystalizes then I just put the entire jar in a pan of warm water (similar to a double boiler) and it will turn back into liquid honey again.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM

I've seen our long term honey darken and/or crystallize with no ill effects. As mentioned, we just heat it in a pan of water and it's liquid again.

It's my understanding that honey can last for decades.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM

I'd like to shake the guy that wasted $65 dollars worth of everclear throwing into the fire pit.

I'd traded him for a gallon of E85.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
It's my understanding that honey can last for decades.
Honey can last for thousands of years. Archeologists excavating Egyptian tombs found jars of honey that were still good.
It is normal for honey to darken and it does not change the taste.

SM
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM

I've watched a few of these. From a wilderness survival site I go on I learned ALOT of the show is "played up". Obviously to make "good TV". A guy on the site knew a few people on the show and it's funny what they are ask to say and do. Part so the TV experts can give advice. As someone else said its better than most junk on TV. I watch it.....pick out the little chunks of meat chuck the bones.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM

It seems to me that a real/true prepper would have taken advantage of shooting off his thumb and turn it into a teachable moment for his kids, and had them treat his thumb.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Good point Michael. I thought that was one of the funniest things I've seen. If he hadn't been such a braggart, I'd feel bad for him.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments about the woman in Salt Lake who's worried about "a government takeover?"
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM

I figured some people would have comments about the man from Maine who gave his son a preserved umbilical cord. Just strange if you ask me!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM

I kind of raised my eyebrows at that, too. What's the kid supposed to do, make soup with it? That feller was sort of odd all the way around, IMO. Didn't see his wife joining in the games.

Just as a general comment, I see a lot of the people on that program not thinking things through about their "crisis of choice." They buy things they think will be preps, but they don't consider the situation as it would be if their chosen crisis were to happen. Like having 500 pounds of freeze dried food, and expecting to have to bug out to parts unknown. Or having a lot of food and no independent water source. Or expecting an economic collapse and no PMs.

The guy making the missile silo condos either didn't say what he was doing or left out some important information. Such as the intended power source that would be necessary for his condos. Or a water source beyond the big storage tank. Or what sort of currency he intended to use for his "general store" and "cocktail lounge." Or the laws that would be needed to deal with different situations that would be sure to arise. He left me with more questions than ideas.

Last edited by grumble; 02-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Something that bothered me about the high dollar condos as well is the quarantine factor. He talked about having 70 people there, and I assume they would be coming from everywhere but also said they would all be working and mingling. Not a good idea IMHO, since germs could easily be passed around in that situation. Not to mention, if I am going to pay the $1 million plus for the condo (yeah right) I expect some say in the people who will be sharing the space. I want people with skills not just people who can afford the price tag!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Excellent points! I suspect the people who are buying in are the same ones whose wives compete to see who has the most expensive clothes at a charity ball. "Yeah, I laid out one point five units ($1.5 million) for a survival condo. We'll go there until we can get down to the beach house in Barbados."

Guess I won't be spending my slush fund money for one of his condos. <G>
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Before any reporters make fun of Doomsday Preppers they might want to look into our government's Continuity of Operations Plan. Also might want to research why LDS says minimum of one year of food stores per family.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
Good point Michael. I thought that was one of the funniest things I've seen. If he hadn't been such a braggart, I'd feel bad for him.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments about the woman in Salt Lake who's worried about "a government takeover?"
I found it strange that she had so much money invested in her supplies, and was planning to grab her bag and run. That strikes me as a huge wast of money. I think she'd be better off to have spent her $50,000 on a house out of town.