BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Deisel generator price

Im looking at a used kohler 20 kw generator yanmar turbo diesel 4tn84 te motor 5910 hrs. Having limited experience with diesel's is this amount of hours high? The guy is asking $2500 for it. It's a lot more than I need to do the whole house including AC. This unit caught my eye since it's considerably cheaper than other smaller 15kw units I've seen for sale.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM

base your purchase off your load needs not price points. It will matter in the end.

Your load, as we always figured, should be 70% of the capacity of the generator. If it's not, you will run into issues with heat and such.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM

So will this run "hot" at partial load? I had an electrician friend do the math and a 12kw will run everything if Im careful with what I turn on, a 15kw would run everything with room to spare. I was also given the advice that generators are like tractors...buy the biggest one you can afford.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

"I was also given the advice that generators are like tractors...buy the biggest one you can afford."

Not always true. Bigger engine, more displacement, more fuel..

You always need a little elbow room but too much would be a waste, IMO..
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM

Question

5910 hrs

5910 / 24 = 246.25 days less than one year usage.
How old is it?

I have a 6000watt YanMar. I paid about $1200 for it
Considering the size that sounds like a bargain.

That does not sound so high in hours.
From what little I know I think the first major service is due at 10,000 hours.

You might want to ask about this engine at your local John Deere Dealer:
http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1...ual-4tn84.html
That is a series 220 engine
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM

There is also a 15 kw unit for sale much closer but that one is propane/ng. Asking $1000 on that one. I wasn't even going to consider it since if a SHTF moment comes along, propane might be harder to come by.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM

It's pretty easy to convert propane to gas. It's just a carb and fuel system change over.

Then you would be ready for either direction.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM

I was leaning toward diesel since I can have a large tank on hand with the added benfit of running HHO, biodiesel, regular diesel, off road D, etc.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress976 View Post
Im looking at a used kohler 20 kw generator yanmar turbo diesel 4tn84 te motor 5910 hrs. Having limited experience with diesel's is this amount of hours high? The guy is asking $2500 for it. It's a lot more than I need to do the whole house including AC. This unit caught my eye since it's considerably cheaper than other smaller 15kw units I've seen for sale.
6000 hours is a lot of hours but it depends on the load the gernerator was under. If it was pullining 7-10 Kw to run a house, thats coasting, 15-18 kw you're looking and a lot of wear. Yanmar is a good engine so I think useage would be the key. I would be more concerned about the turbocharger.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM

I looked for a diesel engine for a combined heat and power setup for a long time with no luck. Then one day I came across a portable lighting plant which had been smashed by high wind. The tower and lights was toast and the trailer was banged up, but the engine and generator were perfect. it was rated at 6kW and I bought it for $1200. The engine was a water cooled Deutz with just a couple hundred hours. I think I showed up the next day after it was listed and I'm glad I did.

So remember to consider lighting plants in your search too, particularly when it is smaller equipment your after. The cost of rebuilding diesels is so high as to frequently make the job financially non viable. So beware when there are lots of hours on equipment, unless you KNOW it was properly maintained, and you can have a diesel mechanic check it out.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 AM

i shoped around on the internet classifides and got two brand new diesel generators for $500 each, one was a 4000 watt and the other was a 6000 watt. it cost a hundred in fuel to go get them.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Default Government Gen.Sets

A few months ago I won a auction @ government liquidations for a 10KW generator. I paid a little over $1,400.00 total. The Gen. had 850Hrs on it. From what I have read the Gen.sets from the military are built a lot stronger. Any way thought I might give you guys a heads up on this. They have tons of different size gen.sets (gas or diesel). They even sometimes have solar panels, basically anything the military uses can be bought there.