BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 AM

Default Unique Gas Ranges

I am waiting on a new Unique gas range to be delivered. I was curious if anyone here has had any exsperience with them. Most of what I have read about them has been positive so far. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I did a Google search of this and came up with this.

uniqueoffgrid.com ......... Is this it ?

Seems a good idea. Can't see much or get much info from the web site. But looks like a combination of a gas range with a gas grill lighter system.

Do you have a local dealer ? Service, parts, etc. How does it compare in $ to a Sears gas range with LP gas option, and a case of Strike on The Box Matches........ ?

Good luck
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM

Got my Unique gas stove in March of this year. I started out with one 100 lb propane tank and am still running on that same tank( Nov.) though it is just about gone. Purchased another 100 lb tank this last week. The stove is great as far as working well. It uses 9 volt batteries for ignition. The top grates cover the entire top of the stove so you can slide pots and pans around. The only detractor so far has been the cost. I paid right at 1000 dollars for it. Not sure that it was worth that amount of money. Local dealer (The Axman in Missoula, Mt.) has great service and so far no need for parts. Only complaints they have had is about the knobs comming off easily. I still have electricity for hot water and refrigerator. Next purchases are a AC/DC/propane refrigerator freezer and an on demand gas hot water heater. Anyone have any info on a good AC/DC propane refrig/freezer?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM

I'm kind of at a loss why you would pay $1,000 for a unique gas stove when what appears to be the same thing is $500 at Lowes. Someone explain what I'm missing here.

Ross
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one that I've been lookin' at. My oven took a crap and it's almost as much to fix it than it is to buy a new one. (~$225 for the top manifold) The temperature sensor went to junk, and of course, it's sealed into the control and the control is part of the manifold..

"Cordless battery ignition-battery-powered ignition safely and conveniently lights the pilot wirelessly"

"Low battery indicator light indicates when the ignighter has a low battery so the pilot functions properly"

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5f%2d203262727
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

12V check and see if Lowes has it in stock or can order it for you. They will usually sell it to you for 10% cheaper than the competitor.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM

I looked at the stoves at Lowes, Home Depot.....Sears. Most that I found require electricity to operate. I did look at the Lowes stove mentioned here, but didn't think the quality of the stove was that great. The burner grates were small where the Unique has a grate that covers the whole top of the stove, but the main drawback to the Lowes stove is that it has a pilot light for the cook top where the Unique uses battery igniton so you aren't wasting gas with a pilot light that stays lit all the time. Not saying that the Unique isn't a bit pricey, but it alot nicer stove than what is available at lowes and it's made in the USA. Not sure, but I think the hotpoint is made in Mexico.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM

The Home Depot one that 12vman linked to uses the same battery ignitor system as the unique. But if you can justify paying twice the price then I say go for it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdrtbag View Post
Got my Unique gas stove in March of this year. I started out with one 100 lb propane tank and am still running on that same tank( Nov.) though it is just about gone. Purchased another 100 lb tank this last week. The stove is great as far as working well. It uses 9 volt batteries for ignition. The top grates cover the entire top of the stove so you can slide pots and pans around. The only detractor so far has been the cost. I paid right at 1000 dollars for it. Not sure that it was worth that amount of money. Local dealer (The Axman in Missoula, Mt.) has great service and so far no need for parts. Only complaints they have had is about the knobs comming off easily. I still have electricity for hot water and refrigerator. Next purchases are a AC/DC/propane refrigerator freezer and an on demand gas hot water heater. Anyone have any info on a good AC/DC propane refrig/freezer?
-------------------
A stove with a standing pilot is not a good option, that is for sure. There are so many better options out there than that.

Glad you got one that works well for you.

Enjoy
By the way.......... Is Pauls Pancake House still there on the west side of Malfunction Junction ???????
And the Sugar Shack coffee / bakery over by the middle school on the way to the college ?????
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

"Beginning April 2012 : The Department of Energy has banned the production of standing gas pilot ranges in the USA."

http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/pr...-on-black.aspx
*Robert Frost*
Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Unique range

I bought this from Lowe's in Sept. for $755 plus free delivery/haul away (a $ 75 value right there)

30-in 4-Burner Freestanding Gas Range Item #: 65320 Model #: SMK240OP

It doesn't have burner grates across the whole top but it does have the power and simmer burners I wanted. It has a piezo ignition and can be lit with a match if the power is off. It has worked wonderfully.

Hope this helps anyone else who may be looking.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

I just got one of these. Aint gotta window in the door but I can smell if sumptin's burnin'..

http://www.menards.com/main/see-more...480-c-5588.htm

What the heck.. Got one of these too..

http://www.menards.com/main/applianc...935-c-9332.htm
*Robert Frost*