BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Default Chamomile Wine

Anyone ever tried Chamomile Wine? I have a glut of flowers.... I found several recipes but would hate to make up a big batch and have it be bitter.....

Or any other uses for the flowers. I've made soap and tea. Can't think of more uses....
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Never heard of chamomile wine. We only dry it for tea. It makes a nice hair rinse that lightens hair for blonds, but I never was blonde so it is hear say on my part.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith123 View Post
Anyone ever tried Chamomile Wine? I have a glut of flowers.... I found several recipes but would hate to make up a big batch and have it be bitter.....

Or any other uses for the flowers. I've made soap and tea. Can't think of more uses....
I've made chamomile wine.

I've also made a liqueur for cooking.

For every 1 cup of dried flowers, use 1 liter of a dry white wine, 1 orange peel removed of the pith (the bitter white part), 4 tablespoons of good honey, and about 1 shot of rum. Here's the catch....it takes a week to make. Mix everything except the honey, shake daily for a week. Then after you can seal it and it will last for a year. I find it lovely when drizzled over sponge cake with strawberries.

I've also made another type of liqueur using equal parts vodka and pack dried flowers. This vodka based one is stored for 2 weeks being shaken daily. It's excellent for flambe. Just please.....Don't burn down the kitchen or yourself doing flambes.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Haven't tried it but have thought about it. I'm due to try some new wine recipe.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM

This weekend I bottled my Dandelion wine and Spruce tip wine. They both need to age...but I think the dandelion wine will come out nicely. The spruce tip wine has a bit of a bite to it, I'll probably let it age for a year.

I think I will make chamomile and rose wine. After weeding around the chamomile all weekend, the smell makes me flinch a bit, I think the rose petals should cut the sharpness of the chamomile. I'll let you folks know how it goes in a month or so....
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
This weekend I bottled my Dandelion wine and Spruce tip wine. They both need to age...but I think the dandelion wine will come out nicely. The spruce tip wine has a bit of a bite to it, I'll probably let it age for a year.

I think I will make chamomile and rose wine. After weeding around the chamomile all weekend, the smell makes me flinch a bit, I think the rose petals should cut the sharpness of the chamomile. I'll let you folks know how it goes in a month or so....
A wine month or a regular month? A wine month is 6 months.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 PM

I figure the fermentation should take about a month. Before aging you can get a pretty good idea how things are turning out. But you are right, a wine month is definately more like 6 months. Forgetfulness is an asset in wine making.

So, if any of you want to play along at home, here is what I did:

1c chamomile flowers
3c rose petals
2 oranges (zest and juice)
2 lemons (zest and juice)
4 1/2 c sugar
7 1/2 pints water
scant 1t nutrient
1 packet yeast.

I brought water and sugar to a boil, added fruits and flowers and nutrient. Let set for about 5 minutes and fished the chamomile out (I could have used more, or let it sit longer, but I didn't want to overdo it). Let sit until temp dropped, added yeast. Today I will strain into primary fermenter. Must was FABULOUS and smell in the house was better than any chemical air freshener could ever achieve.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Hello guys,
I assume that, It is a nice topic. I appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM

As an update, I bottled off my wine, and it was not great, but it never is before it ages. The sugar level was about perfect, but it was still a bit bitter. I wasn't terribly careful zesting my fruit and may have gotten too much pith in with the wine, at least that is what it tastes like for now. The yeast didn't settle too well, and for future batches I am going to cave and use campden tablets and pectic enzyme, bentonite if necessary. Anticipate a decent taste around Christmas. I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
As an update, I bottled off my wine, and it was not great, but it never is before it ages. The sugar level was about perfect, but it was still a bit bitter. I wasn't terribly careful zesting my fruit and may have gotten too much pith in with the wine, at least that is what it tastes like for now. The yeast didn't settle too well, and for future batches I am going to cave and use campden tablets and pectic enzyme, bentonite if necessary. Anticipate a decent taste around Christmas. I'll keep you updated.
Sounds like probably too much pith. I highly recommend a micrograter.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...trus-tool.aspx

Makes zesting in my opinion a lot easier and gives better control of how much pith ya get.