BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

  #1  
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Faith123 Female Faith123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois/UP Michigan
Posts: 221
Default I'm not dead yet

So, this winter we installed a ventless propane heater in our cabin so we wouldn't freeze to death while we were trying to get the wood stove cranking. We ran into many naysayers (some even were propane peddlers) who said we would die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning or from suffocation.

Simple chemistry says that an efficient reaction that combusts propane yields Carbon DIoxide and water.

And I also posed the question to these naysayers, "Is your gas stove vented?"

We had a CO detector that never went off. The canary never croaked.

So since we made it through the winter, I just have to say...I'm not dead yet....

With that said....we never did trust the thing enough to sleep with it on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM
grumble Male grumble is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: W NM, a rifle shot from the Great Divide
Posts: 2,640
Default

I've been using a ventless propane heater for the last 10 years. There is a problem, though. Not CO, but water vapor. It stains the wall behind the heater kind of brownish-yellow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
12vman's Avatar
12vman Male 12vman is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Posts: 2,041
Default

I have 2 - propane fridges, 3 pilot lights on my stove, and a ventless propane water heater and I'm still typing... LOL I even have 4 - golf carts batteries at the foot of my bed so I have those evil battery gasses floatin' around in the mix too. This is all in a 960 sq. ft. shack..
__________________
"Without Deviation from the Norm, Progress is not Possible".
*Frank Zappa*
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference"
*Robert Frost*
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM
TEX Female TEX is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,165
Default

We have 2 vent less natural gas heaters in our house and have had for 4 years now - we ain't dead yet and no we have never had our monitor go off. One of the even has a sensor on it that shuts the thing down if the oxygen gets low or the carbon monoxide gets high. Never has happened.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Faith123 Female Faith123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois/UP Michigan
Posts: 221
Default

We have the water vapor problem too. May invest in a vented furnace because of it. Can't see the deer through the ice on the windows in the winter! Of course, part of the problem is single pane windows, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.