Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Knives/Bow & Arrow

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Good knives for  under 40 bucks?

Do you think it is possible to buy a good knife for under $40 these days? And if so what are your choices?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Good knives for *under 40 bucks?

Check
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...main_front.jsp

I've bought many knives from them at great prices and they send a free catalog!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraic
Do you think it is possible to buy a good knife for under $40 these days? And if so what are your choices?
If you're looking for a stout super dependable folding knife then
nothing beats the old reliable Buck folding hunter!!

The hunter has always been more than just a hunting knife and with
the Buck warranty it's still the best deal around.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Buck makes a 6" bowie in stainless steel that is a very good knife.

jim
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 PM

I thought he said UNDER $40?? ;D
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Good knives for  under 40 bucks?

Herter's used to sell a Canadian style blade that way back when was a real bargin. Cold Steel has started to put out a copy of it that is called a Canadian Belt knife now selling for about $18.99. The blade looks like a leaf but they are very handy for day to day work
Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: Good knives for  under 40 bucks?

they sell the USAF survival knife for 35.00. also, some years ago i got a WWII german bayonet for 20.00.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Inactive Member

Buy a helle blade and make your own handle! Helle blades are simply the best out of anything there is in my opinion. her'es a link to them.

http://www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/

For way less than $40 and a little work you'll have a knife comparable to any 200 dollar one out there!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM

For $40 bucks you can buy a bunch of Old Hickory knives. You will have to make a scabbard for them but they are high carbon and hold a great edge. Old Hickory knives are easy to find at grocery stores and many hardware stores.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM

I have to agree with Floridaboy - My Herter's canadian-style was an antique when I bought it at a flea market 30 years ago, and it's still the best general-purpose outdoor knife I own - the one I always bring along camping/hunting/fishing. The Cold Steel version is a pretty good copy and a truly amazing deal for about 15 bucks US.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckahoe
For $40 bucks you can buy a bunch of Old Hickory knives. You will have to make a scabbard for them but they are high carbon and hold a great edge. Old Hickory knives are easy to find at grocery stores and many hardware stores.
+10.

Also, Ontario Knife Company sells a lot of good quality, high-carbon knives for cheap. They make a copy of the KaBar I bought a few years back at a military surplus store, and it's as good as any KaBar I've owned, but $10-$20 cheaper.

DocSoos
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Heh, good subject if there ever was one!
I know I don't spend allot of coin on my blades, yet I use them every day and demand top quality blades.

I favor two brands these day. The Mora and Cold Steel.

If you figure on doing any cutting of flesh or carving or other fine work I think the inexpensive Mora simply can't be beat.
I've done a limited amount of baton work and such with mine so far and they seem to be holding up fine. Not chopping knives though, surely. *

The Mora knives I favor are all under twenty bucks from Ragweed Forge. *I highly recomend that web site, by the way -
http://www.ragweedforge.com/

The ones I have are the Clipper -

[img] http://www.ragweedforge.com/860-mg.jpg
[/img]

The 740MG -

[img] http://www.ragweedforge.com/740mg.jpg [/img]

And the "soft grip" 748.

All of these knives offer a good secure grip.

I think the 4" stainless 746 or 5-3/4" stainless 748 would be fine general use camp knives. They are .098" thick, rather thicker than the Clipper or MG, and come with decent enough sheaths.

I also have an 8" long 749 and do a good bit of light brush cutting with it. It's what I use to gather fodder for my rabbits with. Bloody well razor sharp, 8" long, thin .079 blade! Have to be carefull using that one. *Not really sure what it's ideal for yet.

[img] http://www.ragweedforge.com/749.jpg [/img]

There are a few things a fella needs to know about Mora knives though -
The stainless steel they use is about the best on the planet!
They do not come with a decent edge and must be sharpend first. This is best done with fine sandpaper and takes some time.
The sheaths are not the best, depending upon the knife.

They have a single bevel Scandinavian edge!
Easy to sharpen and keen as all get out, but it might take some getting used to. *

Buy hey, they put the coin where it needed to go, into the fantastic steel. What do you expect for a 13 dollar knife?

While on the subject of Mora knives in general and Ragweed forge in particular, I have to mention the neat little double sided diamon plate they sell.

It works so well my wife stole it from me and now carries it in her purse everywhere she goes.
I had to buy a second one for myself.

On the subject of Cold Steel shivs, I own a Finn Bear, 19 bucks right now *-

And a Roach belly, also 19 bucks right now -

These are both fine little knives and I've gotten good work out of them. I'd recomend them.
I'm not so crazy about the handles on these knives but don't really have anything to complain about. They come with decent enough sheaths.

I like the looks of their new Finn Wolf -

Quote:
Our Finn Bear™ has become quite popular with our customers. Cold Steel President, Lynn C. Thompson spent over 30 days in the Australian outback hunting Wild Boar, Asian Buffalo, Red Deer, Elk and Sanbar Deer, using the Finn Bear on a daily basis and though it was used brutally, it performed beyond Lynn’s wildest expectations. Especially for a knife that costs less than twenty bucks.

This year, we are happy to introduce a new Finnish styled blade we call the Finn Wolf. It has a slightly more tactical, aggressive quality. Like our Finn Bear, it’s modestly priced. It features a slightly thicker 3mm, 4116 Krupp stainless blade that provides a stiffer spine to support the blade’s narrow profile and sharp, slightly “clipped” point. These attributes, combined with its thin, keen hollow ground edge make it ideal for field dressing, skinning, utility chores and even the rigors of survival or combat use.

The Finn Wolf’s handle is shaped and contoured for comfort and security. Its sweeping curves give it an attractive visual appeal and provide a steady grip for the hand. It can be used edge up or down and in both forward or reverse grips and offers terrific dexterity and comfort in any position you can imagine.

The Finn Wolf comes with a traditional pouch style black Cordura sheath. Worn on the belt or tucked into a pack, it’s ready for your next adventure.
This looks like a good knife and only runs about 25 bucks.
They have a sale right now at Cold Steel and are selling two Finn Wolfs for 30 bucks!

And their new Long hunter looks good -

The Long Hunter is 1/8" thick and seven inches long, a pretty big blade. Only weighs four and a half ounces though, will not slow ya down. A bit expensive at almost 40 bucks though.

Oh, and they also make that version of the famous Canadian Belt Knife now, that several folk mentioned above. I've handled original knives of this type and it really is rather handy despit the odd appearence.
[img] http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...e_2046_6849443 [/img]

If you guys think Buck makes a decent blade, you gotta try Cold Steel. The Cold Steel blades are so superior to what Buck makes that I gave away my last Buck knife!
And Buck is way overpriced these days!

So good quality Cold Steel knives can be had without breaking the bank.

I guess I should add that one of my Mora 740MGs and my Finn Bear ride in custom kydex sheaths.

Even if these sheaths cost more than the knife they are well worth it and a good investment. A proper sheath rounds out the package and compliments a fine tool, not to mention provides greater safety and security.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 PM

That Cold Steel Canadian Knife is an AMAZING deal - a brilliant shape for an outdoor knife *- my old Herter's version was an antique when I bought it 30 years ago, but it's the one I carry when hunting/fishing/camping - I have one of the Cold Steel ones,too, *and, for stainless/plastic/nylon, I recommend it highly. The Finn Bear is also a very good, comfortable pukko-style blade (my second-favorite)

[img] http://www.vpl-labs.com/harlock/lazy...ides/TandB.jpg [/img]

edit: added image - it's a classic
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Default knives under 40

yah i just grabbed a whitetail deer knife monster blade for 10 bucks at a rummage sale still in the box.
i been needing a skinning knife for long time and hey there it was waiting for me...some pawn shops would have knives but you may have to have those handles tightened if they are loose.. where to get that done? i have no idea
Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM

A lot to sort through on this site:

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

For 40 bucks, I think you could find quite a few.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 AM

What is the intended use of said knife. Game hunter/skinner? Bush knife? For me I'd go with a kukri. Atlanta Cutlery sells a military version for $40 (+s/h). Very sturdy, full tang, two by knives(one is actually a sharpening steel). There are some resellers that have it for about $35.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsoos View Post
+10.

Also, Ontario Knife Company sells a lot of good quality, high-carbon knives for cheap. They make a copy of the KaBar I bought a few years back at a military surplus store, and it's as good as any KaBar I've owned, but $10-$20 cheaper.

DocSoos
When I was a kid trying to figure out how to make money, I sold Cutco knives for a couple weeks... long enough to get some for myself on the cheap and figure out selling ain't my thing. Great kitchen knives and not at all cheap, but not what this is about. Why I mentioned it is when I worked for them, the upper management told me that Cutco/Ontario/KaBar were all the same company out of Olean, NY. I never did look into so I don't know, but I have some of each and they all are great knives within their design limitations. I really like my Ontario tanto and machete.

For a one knive does it all in the woods choice, I have a Cold Steel Kukri that currently sells for under $40 delivered, sometimes under $30 and this shows why I recommend it. http://www.knifetests.com/ColdSteelK...ctionTest.html
Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Well, maybe I'm predjudiced, but for the money a genuine USGI M7 bayonet (for the M16) with scabbard, used, can usually be had for right around $30. Beware of imports!

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM

I believe right now the Sportsmans Guide is selling the Buck "Pathfinder" fix bladed knife for just under $40. If you want to chop wood - get an axe. If you want an excellent knife consider the Pathfinder with its 5" blade.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Lehmans has some nice "trade" axes for sale, nice compact tool.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership