BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I really enjoy fishing, and typically use spinning gear, but fly and bow fish too.

My land that I'm starting to develop is on section of a very secluded small-medium sized river that hold walleye, musky, and one heck of a lot of suckers. Almost nobody fishes for the suckers, but it is really good meat - especially smoked.

The home that I live in is next to a very big river. On an evening that is very still, especially after a rain, huge pods of carp are on the surface in select areas. Every once in awhile I will go out and bow fish these. Take them home, chop them up, stuff them in a 5 gal bucket with some water and ferment.

When I'm out, I also sometimes grab some "seaweed" from the river to add the compost piles.

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publica.../HGA-00131.pdf

When the fish has stewed for awhile, I take a mesh bag, add compost, a couple scoops of the nasty fish stuff, then hang it inside a drum that I use for a rain catchment. You then drop a couple of bubblers driven by an air pump, bubble it for apprx 24 hours, then you have a very nice activated aerated compost tea.

So, kind of got off topic there, but I guess my point is that fish can be a very good addition to your arsenal - not only for eating, but for fertilizing purposes as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
My land that I'm starting to develop is on section of a very secluded small-medium sized river that hold walleye, musky, and one heck of a lot of suckers. Almost nobody fishes for the suckers, but it is really good meat - especially smoked.
A person can do a whole lot worse than suckers for table fare. We used to fillet them then score the fillets and fry them extra crisp, bones and all. Pretty tasty.

I was never involved with it, but my FIL used to talk about snaring suckers when they were in the spring spawning run. Not exactly sure how that worked, but my understanding is that they'd position themselves on a tree limb hanging over the creek/river and use a loop snare. He said they could get a bucketful in no time that way.

I used to work with an old guy who swore how great carp was to eat also. They're certainly plentiful and easy to get, but I can't attest to how they are on the table. I do know they're the only fish that I could never finish cleaning because of the smell. Guess I was doing something wrong.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM

" I can just gobble up a dozen or so minnows " I would use these minnows on the end of a hook to catch larger fish.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
It's serendipitous that this thread got bumped just lately. For our next camping trip my survival training agenda is going to include at least one meal harvested from the environment.

Part of my go gear includes a generous swath of mosquito netting. I want to try fixing up a minnow net. The way I see it, I can spend a couple of hours trying to catch a meal or I can just gobble up a dozen or so minnows and/or frogs caught with the net. It would be a good source for bait too, I figure.
Minnow traps are pretty cheap and don't require much in the way of labor or attention.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapgame View Post
A person can do a whole lot worse than suckers for table fare. We used to fillet them then score the fillets and fry them extra crisp, bones and all. Pretty tasty.

I was never involved with it, but my FIL used to talk about snaring suckers when they were in the spring spawning run. Not exactly sure how that worked, but my understanding is that they'd position themselves on a tree limb hanging over the creek/river and use a loop snare. He said they could get a bucketful in no time that way.

I used to work with an old guy who swore how great carp was to eat also. They're certainly plentiful and easy to get, but I can't attest to how they are on the table. I do know they're the only fish that I could never finish cleaning because of the smell. Guess I was doing something wrong.
In Europe, especially eastern Europe, carp is considered highly desirable and even eaten for holidays. In the US I think it makes a big difference which carp you're talking about. I understand that common carp is not very good eating but big headed carp is quite good except for the bones. Probably they'd all taste wonderful if you were hungry.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM

If you're able to watch YouTube videos, here's a link to using a soda can as an effective spinning reel. This guy hauls in a pan full of pan fish.

Soda Can Reel

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
If you're able to watch YouTube videos, here's a link to using a soda can as an effective spinning reel. This guy hauls in a pan full of pan fish.

Soda Can Reel
I grew up fishing with a coke bottle. I can outcast most people who are using state of the art casting rods. Having said that, fishing is paramount to my survival( as well as my sanity). I pack my freezer every year with trout and pan fish. I even make a few trips to the coast every year for whatever I can get my hook on. I have minnow traps set all over the place for most of the summer. You would be surprised how much fresh fish you can put up every year with a few well planned fishing outings.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stully View Post
I grew up fishing with a coke bottle. I can outcast most people who are using state of the art casting rods. Having said that, fishing is paramount to my survival( as well as my sanity). I pack my freezer every year with trout and pan fish. I even make a few trips to the coast every year for whatever I can get my hook on. I have minnow traps set all over the place for most of the summer. You would be surprised how much fresh fish you can put up every year with a few well planned fishing outings.
Hmm, minnow traps. Heard of them, haven't thought of them for a long time. Thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm going to try that out next spring.

I didn't see any mention of ice fishing here, but may not have remembered the thread well. Within a nice long walk of my property, there's a trout lake. Produces a lot of nice fish, and no direct roads to it. A wonderful little gem. You just have to fish it a lot in the winter, as it's really hit or miss - a lot more than in the non-ice days. (nothing to do with minnow traps )
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Minnow traps are awesome. Nothing better than free bate. I get mine at wm for like $8. I use scraps from chicken. I find that the bones with a bit of meat work even better than the livers or gizzards. I even end up selling some minnows here and there.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Fishing is fun right now, but once TSHTF and the shelves are empty, everybody will have the same idea. Talked to a guy back hoeing something for us, and he said he is not worried, he will hunt, there are lots of turkeys. How long will they last once everybody hunts to feed the hungry mouths. I wish I could raise fish in tanks, just too much to do and can't do it all.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM

Cool No such thing as "Wild Game" anymore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
once TSHTF and the shelves are empty, everybody will have the same idea. there are lots of turkeys. How long will they last once everybody hunts to feed the hungry mouths.
Absolutely Right!
There's only one place around that will have fish once TSHTF !
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/24148/Default.aspx
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
How long will they last once everybody hunts to feed the hungry mouths.
Hunting is a skill that has to be learned.

People who don't hunt now won't magically be able to when SHTF, and if fuel is in short supply, many aren't even within walking distance of huntable game populations
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 AM

I hunt and fish. I started hunting as a teenager in the 60's. I don't deer hunt anymore but I hunt birds with a dog, mostly grouse now. Hunting isn't really going to provide very much food for a lot of reasons especially if everyone starts subsistence hunting. Mostly hunting is for sport these days and it's expensive.

I also fish in the fall and I'm able to catch at least one 5 lb fish everyday or so. That's enough to feed several people for a long time if you preserve it.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

People who don't hunt now won't magically be able to when SHTF, and if fuel is in short supply, many aren't even within walking distance of huntable game populations
Skill - for sure, a lot of field education. Knowing the habitat and how the prey interacts with that habitat, etc .. etc..

Fishing or hunting.

I thought I was a decent hunter\fisherman until I met up with my GF's Father and Brother. After a few years of being in the field with these guys, I really found out exactly how much I didn't know (and still don't)
Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

After the SHTF, people will not be hunting wildlife, they will be harvesting wildlife. There's a difference. Hunting implies following the rules; ie: not hunting after sunset, bag limits, seasons, bucks only, ect. All the rules will cease to exist after the SHTF.

Any and all wildlife will get harvested on the spot, no questioned asked. Won't matter if a doe's nursing a fawn. Still likely the most clueless will starve to death, but there's still a sizable population competent enough to pull a trigger on a jack-lit deer, legal or not.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 PM

AFTER the SHTF there won't be much wildlife left. right after it gets hairy, everybody will have the same idea, hunt and fish. I talked to the bulldozer guy, he says they are going to hunt and fish. After that pans out I guess they will hunt for preppers, after having "hunted" farmers' lifestock.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Still good skills to have especially in a limited situation where you may be required to provide for yourself for a while.

I agree, a major SHTF would decimate the wildlife as well as domestic stock not under guard in a hurry, but where I live it isn't hard to run off a road or get lost and be miles from help or a cell signal.

Knowing several ways to put meat on the fire will go a long ways toward making it out of whatever situation you may find yourself in.

In my country, (Montana) there are a lot of small streams with trout in them that if you are good enough you can catch by hand. I know, I've done it.

I always carry snare wire and fishing line of a couple different sizes and a small tackle box made from a snuice can with me in my pack. I can set snares for terrestrial animals, set lines for fish.

I love ice fishing, but it isn't a real productive way to get a lot of fish. We use a lot of tip ups here that set the hook when the fish takes the bait and then holds them until you go pull them up.
Same thing would work on creeks and rivers if you do it right.

For really small streams I find I can handline using a stick instead of a can or bottle and do pretty well to get some small trout for supper. They are usually small, (around 6 inchers), but you catch enough and they make a fine meal

Never did like fly fishing even though I live in one of the most famous fly fishing areas on earth, but I do use flys on an ultralight spinning rod, it's called dappling, and with a streamer or wooly bugger, it works pretty well. Normally I use spoons and spinners, but have nothing against using a grasshopper or worm. (live minnows aren't allowed here as bait by law).

But if I am surviving off of what I can catch, anything goes including fish traps and nets.
If you have to, you can always make a net out of the strings in paracord. Works pretty good too
Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 PM

Default Survival Fishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPX3Adtjzs

This young guy has it all figured out.. I enjoyed his video.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
After the SHTF, people will not be hunting wildlife, they will be harvesting wildlife.
They will still be those who hunt now, because those who don't won't have the tools to handle the job.

Millions of people have no means to "harvest" anything that's not already wrapped in plastic, and wouldn't have a clue as to where they could even find animals to kill.

They'll starve to death waiting for FEMA before they realize it's up to them to provide for themselves
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Fishing will be just like Deer hunting, They will all be consumed within the first month or two. If you want to survive off fishing, grow your own.

Feed the fish in a pond for later use.