BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Master Pontificator

Exclamation Warning! Dont buy a 2004/2005 F150 with Triton

Just wanted to warn everyone not to go anywhere near the 2004/2005 F150 with the Triton motor. I own one and started hearing a faint ticking. Took it to a mechanic and was told it was a normal "Ford" noise for that motor. The truck then started making a rattling at start up. Back in to the mechanic shop. Driving it to the mechanic shop the check engine light came on. Turns out it is the cam phasers failing. Fixing the cam phasers will cost 4400, and it may need a new engine...I did some research on line and there are a lot of angry Ford owners out this about this problem. It is very common and I guess I should feel lucky that at least mine went over 100,00 miles before having problems. Apparently this is a engineering defect in the cam phasers, ford sent out a service bullentin but refuses to recall them. I looked and it seems like there are a lot of owners of these trucks trying to unload them...So buyer beware.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
Just wanted to warn everyone not to go anywhere near the 2004/2005 F150 with the Triton motor. I own one and started hearing a faint ticking. Took it to a mechanic and was told it was a normal "Ford" noise for that motor. The truck then started making a rattling at start up. Back in to the mechanic shop. Driving it to the mechanic shop the check engine light came on. Turns out it is the cam phasers failing. Fixing the cam phasers will cost 4400, and it may need a new engine...I did some research on line and there are a lot of angry Ford owners out this about this problem. It is very common and I guess I should feel lucky that at least mine went over 100,00 miles before having problems. Apparently this is a engineering defect in the cam phasers, ford sent out a service bullentin but refuses to recall them. I looked and it seems like there are a lot of owners of these trucks trying to unload them...So buyer beware.
First Hello Humbug

I have a friend I worked with--her husband had one of those.
It stayed in the shop more than at their house--He made the dealership
buy it back---Statred out with just a (littlenoise) and in the end was blowing oil.

Txanne
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Hi Annie!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Old topic, but here is what goes down...

2004 - 2008 Ford F-150 5.4L

The crankshaft end play is too loose from the factory. Or in other words, the crankshaft is a little wobbly. Usually between 20,000 - 80,000 miles the crankshaft bearings start to fail due to the extra stress from the crankshaft. Bits of metal shavings start circulating through the oil system and eventually make their way to the cylinder heads. The metal shavings get in with the camshaft and camshaft bearings and the cam phasers. If you hear ticking and your check engine light is on, it's already too late. You need a complete rebuild or a new engine; depending on where you live one might be cheaper than the other.

It only affects F-150s with the 5.4L V8. Econoline vans and other F-Series trucks are ok.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM

hmmm guess we lucked out. We have an 02 with 250,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 AM

We own 3 vehicles. One of them is a Ford (2002) F-150 with the 4.6 L. Each of my vehicles from DAY ONE has a VERY powerful magnet placed right next to the drain plug just to trap little bits of metal regardless where they come from.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Where do you get a very powerful magnet from? I do not know beans about engines and stuff like that (Thanks fellas for inventing and making things that make life easier) I want to tell my son about this when he comes next month.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM

There is also an after market oil drain plug available that is magnetized. This allows for a visual inspection and cleaning of the magnet during an oil change.

How ever many main bearing & camshaft bearings have copper in them as well. The only way to determine the copper levels is to have the used oil tested.Years ago A place I worked sold these kits to customers. We collected the oil during service. The kit came with a postage paid box. The customer filled an information slip & mailed it off. It took about 10 days for a response.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Shoulda bought a GMC...
Old 10-19-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
Where do you get a very powerful magnet from? I do not know beans about engines and stuff like that (Thanks fellas for inventing and making things that make life easier) I want to tell my son about this when he comes next month.
I bought mine from a prospecting store. We use them on digging tools like picks to gather nails and such while metal detecting. When the signal disappears you check the magnet and usually it has a nail or piece of wire stuck to it. The ones I have came out of a computer so maybe you could search them on E-Bay or a computer shop.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 AM

is this triton motor the V10 ? i worked for several differnt companys who bought fleets of these to use for the crews to go out to the location in, terrable fuel milage, not good power, and they would often stop running while flying down the hwy
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 AM

They all have the "triton tick". I love mine. We use it as an old work truck. They pass everything except a gas station, and run great if you ignore the tick....... and the $75 gas tank for every 250m or so.