BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Default More active moderation needed ?

I get the impression that the amount of personal attacks on this forum has increased and it seems to be coupled to the fact that these can apparently go on for days without any intervention to put an end to it.

Having an endlessly long ignore list is in my opinion not the answer. People need to be called out for violating forum rules and the offending posts deleted.

This board does not specify who the moderator or moderators are for particular boards. If that were listed, with a direct link to either PM the moderator or even FLAG the offending post, this could make this process more efficient.

Perhaps more moderators are needed ?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Who are these people who are getting personal attacks? I am regularly offensive to everyone, left right and center. I have not received my fair share of venom directed at my person.

Anydangway, I like the "thumbs down" type of ratings that I encounter in the comments section of yahoo news stories. After a comment gets a certain number of thumbs down it gets hidden. This allows for community based moderation.

This is in no way flawless. On sites such as this, i expect leftist/communist/statist/city people comments to get thumbed down all the way to the septic tank. This is even when they are a valid part of the conversation.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM

Here are some of the offensive posts:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...9&postcount=34

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...1&postcount=37

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...1&postcount=39

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...5&postcount=41

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...6&postcount=45

You might recognize a pattern there. The thread is about fires being started by target shooting and criticism of shooting bans proposed by the Utah Governor. As it turns out, it was a bunch of drunk good old boys on a bachelor party and the key guy shoots a Fiocci incendiary round into the target which then sets the brush ablaze and the firing of which is prohibited in Utah anyway.

The posts linked to above are one mans attempt at defending his position that every Joe should be permitted to have and use whatever ammo they want in whatever manner they choose and that it is protected by the sacred 2nd amendment. No attempt to reason draws any rational discussion of the issue, which is to prevent fires, so that we will NOT be banned from shooting on public land forevermore.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It looks to me like you have it in for Ironclad, since all of your examples were of his postings, which would seem to be something easily solved by the existing "Ignore" feature.

As for myself, I am sometimes annoyed by various people here, as I am sometimes annoying to perhaps the same people.

An old maxim seems to suggest itself...

1. Try not to be too annoying.
  2. Try not to be too easily annoyed

Last edited by kfander; 07-14-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Ignoring the guy does not improve the "quality" of the content on this board that every other member and outsider gets to see when they visit the site. Do you think the guy is actually contributing to the topic ?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 AM

He is also not the first. A week or so ago we had these prime examples

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&postcount=116

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&postcount=118

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&postcount=122

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&postcount=126

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...&postcount=132

High quality stuff that we would like everyone to see forever on this forum ? I personally think we are better off with some of this deleted so that one does not start thinking of these "real housewives of ____ " soap opera when reading this board.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Ignoring the guy does not improve the "quality" of the content on this board that every other member and outsider gets to see when they visit the site. Do you think the guy is actually contributing to the topic ?
However, what you find annoying others may find to be entertaining, or even educational. Ironclad makes his points bluntly, to be sure, but he has some good points to make.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
High quality stuff that we would like everyone to see forever on this forum ? I personally think we are better off with some of this deleted so that one does not start thinking of these "real housewives of ____ " soap opera when reading this board.
Those are some better examples. I don't think I've come across anything that he has written before, which isn't surprising since he's posted only twenty-two time so far.

There too, I think that when a small percentage of what someone posts is objectionable, it might be chalked up to a bad day or an overreaction to whatever the argu... discussion was about. Someone who has contributed little but objectionable posts are another matter, perhaps.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Westcliffe - I'm a long-time, tech veteran of discussion boards. I love 'em to death, including the fact that posts "last forever"... even posts that seem to be off the scale for (insert offense here)... BECAUSE that is what discussion is: people talking to each other. It's not publishing, it's not blogging... it's people talking to each other.

Over time, talking to each other, putting up with each other... we become friends or enemies - or both at the same time, opinions and viewpoints are refined, exceptions duly noted, including our differences... which are respected and allowed to meet that person's criteria of REASON... because not all people see things the same exact way. This is actually one of the reasons humans have survived this long, and isn't a detriment to society; it's a strength.

Take that away, and we live in a Flatland where everyone is "the same" and everything is agreed on and eventually the will to even live... fades to black.

I'll take the variety-version of life, thanks very much!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 AM

can we all not just get along? lol
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 AM

I don't come here looking for soap opera and drama, and that was not how these boards were operated when I originally joined. I am coming around to the realization that perhaps the level of interest by those who started this project and their level of activity has waned and the rabble are rising to the top. I will keep an eye on things for a while to see if there is any cleanup, but if not I will spend my time in more civil places where one can actually learn something from reading posts and not be solicited to kiss someones butt.

Last edited by 12vman; 07-14-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Change Offensive Word!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Westcliffe01,
No offence, but is it at all possible that you’re being a little thin-skinned here?
I notice that your objection to simply using the ignore button, is that other people will still be able to read the folks you ignore, does it occur to you that not everyone shares your viewpoint?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM

So everyone believes that the posts I linked to comply with the basic rules for the forum ? If that is the case, then obviously we have a mismatch in values.

Discussing issues does not have to resort to the kind of crude and vulgar trash that gets posted and apparently concerns no-one. Its perfectly clear that we will not all agree, but one needs to discuss the topic and not behave like a 3 year old.

All I can say is that this stuff absolutely will not fly on tractorbynet.com, nor www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php but don't worry, it looks like I will shortly stop wasting your time or providing "amusement".

Forum Rules

1. Be civil and respectful to other members at all times. If you cannot be civil and respectful to a member, then place the member on your Ignore list.

2. Do not use crude or offensive language. If you don't know what crude and offensive means, you are not old enough to be participating here.

3. Business use of any kind is prohibited except that Confirmed members (Green stars) may post one listing in the Member Business board.

4. Spamming of any kind, including link promotion, is prohibited.

5. The rules apply to all parts of the Forum, including the Chat Room and Private Message (PM) system.

6. The Moderators are the sole judge of whether or not you have broken any of the above rules or have otherwise behaved in an undesirable manner.

7. Do not whine about moderator decisions in the Forum or in the Chat Room. If you believe a Moderator's decision to be unreasonable or in error, send a detailed appeal via PM to the Administrator.

8. Violation of any of the rules will result in one or more of the following:

- A detailed apology in the open Forum
- Suspension of Forum privileges for weeks or months
- Banning
Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM

My own solution is to stay out of the offending conversation...if the argument happens to be mixed in with something I choose to comment on,I ignore that and just comment on the actual topic in question.

I've found that this works pretty well for me.

In time things normally settle out and people go their own way again...
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM

I understand that what several describe are coping skills, based on the fact that a lot of junk is permitted to be posted and never removed afterwards. I just seem to remember this forum being on a tighter leash in times past when that stuff wouldn't be allowed.

We have to ask ourselves whether we consider it desirable to be forced to skip over pages of this stuff when following a thread, or whether in fact this stuff so dilutes the good stuff that gets posted, that in the final analysis one would just rather stop reading instead. That is where I am at now. It feels like a picked up a "playboy" or a "Soldier of fortune" magazine, instead of "country life". If I want to read smut, I would go elsewhere in the first place.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Sounds like a kindergarten sandbox. "Teacher, teacher, he won't play nice!" Nobody else seems to be having major problems, makes me wonder "who hit back first."
Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 PM

W'cliff: "...remember this forum being on a tighter leash..."

Now you're on ground that several of us will fight for. Regulation is not the answer to anything, not in these wide open spaces.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Master Pontificator

I look at these (and all online forums) as an online coffee shop type of thing. If you annoy me, I will ignore you. If you just like to argue, I might argue some or just read and smile. For the most part people are friendly. Just like in real life, I do not want more rules and government, I like freedom, and don't need big brother to take care of me in any way, shape or form.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm..
"All I can say is that this stuff absolutely will not fly on tractorbynet.com, nor www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php but don't worry, it looks like I will shortly stop wasting your time or providing "amusement"."

4. Spamming of any kind, including link promotion, is prohibited.

See.. Everyone does it from time to time..

You posted several times in that particular thread and I didn't see you try to avoid any conflict. You wanted it, ya got it, IMO..

When does the adult factor come into play? Oliver and I both have PM and it ain't no secret that I'm a mod. (Look under my icon on the top left) You put this on the open board so here ya go..

Any questions?
*Robert Frost*
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
In the first case you suggested, yes; I believe that Ironclad has contributed much value to the forum over a long period of time. Does he contribute with every post he makes? Probably not, but that can be said about many of us.