BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
You don't need to argue with those that you don't like or respect, they won't change no matter what you say. Pay attention to the opinions you enjoy and don't worry about the rest.

Yes your right....very right ...thanks for your input. Can someone tell me how to change my name....warriorwomen is a target waiting to get shot.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of these forums to tell you how to change your screen name...and I don't think a change is necessary. Take a quick scan through some of the screen names here and you will find yourself quite normal.

I appreciate you passing the peace pipe. You are a homesteader, just like the rest of us, so I know we have more to share than to fight about.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
You don't need to argue with those that you don't like or respect, they won't change no matter what you say. Pay attention to the opinions you enjoy and don't worry about the rest.

Yes your right....very right ...thanks for your input. Can someone tell me how to change my name....warriorwomen is a target waiting to get shot.
If you will point out which thread I called you a lie I'd like to read it.
I have never called anyone on here a lie but have used a few choose names.
I like you I had no idea this B'S was going on.
I haven't been on much in the past month or so.
I am glad ur here but hey I didn't throw down the gAulet.

You are in control of your keyboard.
Me mine.

Don't let one or 2 hateful Comments get to you.
I have been here along time to the chagrine of. A certain few.
They don't even like them selves/himself.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 PM

I agree with rubyyarn, more in common then we are at odds. I never thought of your name as a target. When I said play in the mud it was a metaphor. I understand and I'm sure many others understand how pain can make one sensitive, even strike out, but when someone strikes back one has to think 'Oh, maybe I came on too strong'. I find your posts hard to understand at times (not when you cut and paste) and it seems you want to blame. I understand that also it is much easier to blame neighbors, bad economy... then say maybe I contribute to this situation.
I would love to see more pictures of your homestead (1/2 off the grid) and your artwork. I also understand posting pictures here is difficult, which is why I don't or haven't tried yet.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 PM

Just a note Txanne, nice to see you worried about your health situation.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Master Pontificator

I
Quote:
f you will point out which thread I called you a lie I'd like to read it.
I have never called anyone on here a lie but have used a few choose names.
I like you I had no idea this B'S was going on.
I never pointed out anyones ....name or otherwise as to who did what. I never said you did anything Anne and I am sorry you thought I was picking you out. I did not name people because they know who they are....I do not have to point fingers nor say this person is the one. And I will not point fingers that is just me. .
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Master Pontificator

Ok I read my own post....sorry Anne I can see why you think what you do. As always my communication skills suck bad.....I did not completely explain what I meant....and see how that lead to your post. I was addressing the issue to you because you helped me out the last time I got mad and got me on the right coarse. I did not explain at all.

The reason why I address this in the Forum Help ...header was I trying to figure out some of these peoples issues. Plus I knew this was an old timers place, that would have people here to explain to me what was going on. As I know in the forums the old timers always have the wisdom.

An note these conversations did not occur in the bottom section for thick skin people....this is where everyone could read it. But I got really pissed off when I found out I was not the only one who got angry with some people....they just left without a good bye. Me,... I open my mouth and tell people what I think....I claim zero to being right or wrong. An when I wrote....I was clearly angry and did not explain myself well at all.

But I want to thank everyone for the input... especially to those that have supported me through this little number.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 PM

who really cares, this is the internet, as far as being an old timers forum ,well iam gone
Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBC View Post
So if the ignore button on Backwoods Home works...I wonder if Oliver could rig something up for real life situations?
It does work, Karen, and oh how I wish I could create one for the real world. I bet I'd sell 10 million of them the first day.

I just posted an Announcement about how to use the Ignore feature that should be showing in all boards Forum-wide.

Oliver
Old 06-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
Of course now you won't know what they're saying about you.
The key to true happiness in life is to simply not care what "they" are saying about you. It took me too many decades to understand and embrace that.

Oliver
Old 06-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The key to true happiness in life is to simply not care what "they" are saying about you. It took me too many decades to understand and embrace that.

Oliver
Well said Oliver!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks to admin.....we just killed warriorwomen....she is dead and gone. Next the super dupper ....ignore button is going to blow out the rest. I know better to walk into places where bombs are thrown at people....but I did anyway. Sorry to all of you that I caused unnecessary stress,.... believe me that it will not happen again. Thanks to Oliver....issue is resolved .
Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 AM

See now how every one vented, the issues are resolved and we can all sleep well tonight. And Oliver, I remember the time a few years back when you got slammed pretty hard. Unnecessarily I might add. But you figured it out and kept your ball on the playing field. For one moment lets look at our personality traits for being the type to survive. A lot of us are type A personalities. Most of us are stubborn, A lot of us know when someone is a bullshitter. And we have been around the block a time or two. So really what can we expect. Most of us can dish it out as well as get kicked a few times, That's what makes us the type of people who can survive and kick butt at the same time. It's the type of people who started this country and the type of people who will see through to the end or die trying to make it better.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiDi View Post
Ok I read my own post....sorry Anne I can see why you think what you do. As always my communication skills suck bad.....I did not completely explain what I meant....and see how that lead to your post.
I have no idea what the kerfuffle was to start with, don't really care. But you make an excellent observation about forum posting in general. I've alluded to it before -- sometimes it just doesn't come out the way we're thinking it.

Now. . . if it doesn't come out the way we are thinking it; then someone else reads it with a predisposed bias toward how they think you think; then they make a response that they think will make you re-think what you thunk; then we end up with a mess load of hurt feelings. The irony of it all is that for all the thinking that went into those thoughts they end up sounding pretty thoughtless.

And that's what I think I think about it.

And while I'm thinking about it. . . if you're getting ready to send off a stink ball response to someone. let it set for a spell before sending it. You may find that your zinger lost its fizz (apologies to English majors for mixed metaphors) .

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Now. . . if it doesn't come out the way we are thinking it; then someone else reads it with a predisposed bias toward how they think you think; then they make a response that they think will make you re-think what you thunk; then we end up with a mess load of hurt feelings. The irony of it all is that for all the thinking that went into those thoughts they end up sounding pretty thoughtless.
LOL ....that is just how communication works, unless we seek clarity with up front communication about what ever is bothering you,... things do not get a solution, we go around with false thoughts. I find there are some people,... who do not want to go to the solution because,... they are stuck in the messy load of hurt feeling. Some things do not get resolved and then it is a choice to stay or do you go.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:08 AM

Welcome Back, Di. Didn't have a problem with your prior screen name, although if I did have a problem - you would have had every right to tell me to pound sand.

Warriors come in every shape, size, and their battles are not restricted to the military and specific definitions about engagement?

I view the designation of a Warrior as a person who comes up against barriers that reduce their ability to pursue a life of Liberty, Happiness, and Productivity.

In that sense, any of us that strive to improve Ourselves, our Family, and our immediate Society ... we are all Warriors in that sense.

Based on that definition, I believe your original WarriorWoman handle would be completely appropriate.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Post count does not indicate anything except that the Member in question spends a lot of time on the forum.

Post count means nothing, in other words.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Post count does not indicate anything except that the Member in question spends a lot of time on the forum.

Post count means nothing, in other words.
Or has been around for many years.
And spending time here is a joy and pleasure for many.
And your correct---it gives no power nor takes away any.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
And Oliver, I remember the time a few years back when you got slammed pretty hard. Unnecessarily I might add. But you figured it out and kept your ball on the playing field.
Which reminds me of another important online asset -- a short memory.

Being human, few of us can avoid getting insulted or getting our feelings hurt or misunderstanding what someone said, and so on, but being human, we all have the ability to let it go; to forget it. We only have to choose to do it.

For some that choice is harder than for others, but when we can't just "let it go" it behooves us to at least find out if what we "read" was really what the other person "wrote."

Especially in an online venue, when we often type things without much forethought or proofreading, it's easy to "say" things we didn't mean and to "read" into words meanings that were not intended by the writer.

When faced with a post that appears to be using flowery language to call you a horse's posterior, perhaps the first (and maybe only) response should be to quote the "offending" text and ask, "Did you just compare me to the butt of a horse?"

Perhaps the writer didn't mean that at all, in which case s/he explains and everyone has a good chuckle. Or, perhaps s/he did. If so, you can choose not to fan the flames by responding, which makes the name-caller look bad in the eyes of other members. Or you can fire back thus drawing members into something nasty that distracts everyone from the real reason this Forum exists - to provide a gathering place for those interested in homesteading, self-reliance, preparedness, how-to, and related topics.

I've been around 60+ years now. It took me close to 50 of them and a quadruple bypass before I learned and really understood the four magic words that changed me from a Type A person to a Type LB (that's laid-back). What magic words?

It just doesn't matter.

I made it my mantra.

Clearly, some things do matter. But 98% of the garbage we encounter in life, including nastiness in Forums and blogs and Facebook and Twitter and so on...well...it just doesn't matter.

Now, I concentrate on the 2% that does matter and don't waste a single second or neuron on the rest.

Try making it your mantra for a few months and odds are you'll never go back.

Oliver